Four friends, Sophie, Ben, Jeni and David, are on a vacation in Irish countryside, where they encounter a gold-lusting monster who wants to take their lives.
Origins has the examples of:
- Accidental Murder: The "leprechaun" tricks Sophie and Ben into killing Jeni.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Having had enough of the senseless sacrifices, Sean finally turns on his father to buy Sophie enough time to escape.
- Darker and Edgier: The film goes in this direction, as the "leprechaun" is a hideous monster that doesn't speak at all, let alone bother with jokes.
- Heroic Sacrifice: David does this in order to help the others escape from the "leprechaun".
- Final Girl: Sophie becomes one after all her friends are killed.
- In Name Only: Origins shares very little in common with the original films (including a leprechaun at all; it's really some kind of lizard monster that never speaks).
- Mythology Gag: Before decapitating the "leprechaun", Sophie says "Fuck you, Lucky Charms", which was also said in the original 1993 film before the Leprechaun was defeated.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Even though Sean can't bring himself to sacrifice the four and even saves Sophie from his father Hamish, he is left devastated when the "leprechaun" kills the latter.
- Off with His Head!: How the "leprechaun" dies.
- Only Sane Man: Sean. While his father thinks the best solution to their problems is to feed the creature unsuspecting tourists, Sean firmly believes they're all better off just leaving their village.
- Stock Subtitle: Not an honest one, either; theres no exploration of any origins in the movie.
- Token Good Teammate: Sean. He is the only member of his village who hates the fact that he is forced to participate in the unjust sacrifice of tourists and even helps the four escape twice.
- The Voiceless: The "leprechaun" does not speak, but rather snarls and growls like a feral animal.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Hamish and the rest of their village. They simply want to keep themselves safe from the creature's wrath. Only problem is, their solution involves tricking and sacrificing innocent tourists.