Last Known Address (Dernier domicile connu) is a 1970 French film directed by José Giovanni and starring Lino Ventura and Marlène Jobert.
Marceau Léonetti (Lino Ventura) is a efficient police officer. One day, he arrested a young man who drives under the influence of alcohol. This guy is the son of a famous lawyer, who then builds a case against Léonetti. In order to avoid a scandal, the police assign Léonetti to a small police station, where he has to work with Jeanne, a young policewoman. They are given the mission to find back Roger Martin, who has disappeared for five years, because he is an important witness in a criminal case.
Last Known Address provides examples of:
- Buddy Cop Show: Marceau Léonetti, a middle-aged jaded officer, and Jeanne, a young idealist policewoman, work together.
- Crapsack World: A police hero who arrests the son of a famous lawyer who drives under the influence of alcohol is punished. In the end, someone who has just testified against a dangerous criminal is left without protection and gets killed by his accomplices.
- Downer Ending: Roger Martin is killed in front of her daughter. Jeanne resigns.
- Determinator: Léonetti is determined to find back Martin, even if it means he has to read old prescription books in pharmacies throughout the night.
- Establishing Character Moment: Marceau Léonetti is introduced as a police hero: he is showed acting in several dangerous situations and receiving the Legion of Honour.
- Fair Cop: Jeanne (Marlène Jobert). Her first task as a policewoman is to bait sexual predators in theatres. Léonetti's colleagues and Soramon's accomplices notice her beauty.
- He Knows Too Much: Roger Martin saw Soramon on the day a murder was committed. Soramon's accomplices chase him to kill him, so that he cannot testify.
- Karma Houdini: The young man who drove under under the influence of alcohol is not punished.
- Linked List Clue Methodology: The clues lead Marceau Léonetti and Jeanne from on place to the other and finally to Roger Martin.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Marceau Léonetti and Jeanne finally find Martin. He testifies before the court, then he is killed by Soramon's accomplices. In the end, Jeanne realizes that if they had not found him, he would still be alive.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Subverted. The confrontation between Léonetti and Soramon's accomplices: Léonetti manages to beat four mooks, then comes Greg.
- Odd Couple: Marceau Léonetti, a middle-aged jaded officer, and Jeanne, a young idealist policewoman.
- Police Procedural: The work of the police is not idealized as showed by the Downer Ending and the Screw the Rules, I Have Connections! incident.
- Reassigned to Antarctica: Léonetti is reassigned to a small police station, because of an incident with the son of a famous lawyer. He has to arrest sexual predators in theatres.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: The young man who Léonetti arrests in the beginning does not care. He tells Léonetti he is the son of a famous lawyer. Finally, Léonetti will be transferred to a small police station for arresting him.
- Terminology Title: "Dernier domicile connu" (last known address) is a legal expression used when the present address of someone is unknown.
- They Fight Crime!: Marceau Léonetti, a middle-aged jaded officer, and Jeanne, a young idealist policewoman, have to find back an important witness in a criminal case.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Jeanne is really enthusiastic about her job in the police. Léonetti tells her several times not to exult at the progress of their investigation. In the end, she realizes that they caused the death of Roger Martin and she resigns.