Power Rangers Clockwork is a Script Fic written by Arcadiarika, set in the same universe as Super Sentai vs. Power Rangers: The Liveblog. As per the writer, it's an adaptation to the Skyrim mod Clockwork and the Kyukyu Sentai GoGoV movie Clash! The New Super Warrior.
One year after the events of Super Sentai vs. Power Rangers IV, Arika/Ultimate Goddess Arcadiarika and her world's version of Carter Grayson find themselves in a tunnel that leads to a grand castle, Urverk Castle. After finding Sean Johnson/the Ultimate Red Legendary Ranger, they discover secrets about the castle and an unfortunate family who once lived there. From there, they must find a way to escape, before a specter claims their souls forever.
Tropes Associated to Power Rangers Clockwork
- Adaptation Name Change: Lahar and Lamashtu/Shadow from the original mod are renamed Asgaut and Brynja Velothi in the story.
- Adult Fear: The backstory focuses on the very fear of a family member getting harmed by their own parents for a specific reason. Aricin Velothi grew sicker and had hallucinations, the effects of poison. It's also implied that Brynja, Aricin's own mother, was the one who poisoned him, and she refused to have her husband, Asgaut, see him. Meaning that Asgaut was powerless to save his son, and when his body was gone, he simply believed his son escaped when he did not, trying to hold onto hope. And the reason why Aricin was poisoned? To obtain immortality.
- Apocalyptic Log: Chapter 2 focuses on Asgaut's journals, detailing his life from when Velothi Castle was constructed to a strange death and subsequent revival of a worker. They also revealed some disturbing fates later on. A few years after the incident with the revived worker, Aricin was struck with a piece of metal, and over the course of several months, he succumbed to poison. Asgaut later faced the same fate, only it took years for him to die, and was suited into strange armor in order for him to reach immortality. And Brynja, who had slowly descended into madness thanks to the whispers of Delarium, may have had a hand in those actions.
- Brought Down to Badass: Because of Brynja's influence, Arika, Ari!Carter, and Sean all lose their powers the moment they are teleported to the tunnels. Unlike in IV, Arika retains her memories and personality, while Sean loses his own memories of who he is. And despite it, Arika and Ari!Carter prove why they're Rangers when they fight against the skeletons in the very first chapter, with the latter being able to slash through enemies after acquiring a sword.
- The Ghost: Aricin Velothi, only described in the journals in Chapter 2 but has not made an appearance outside of a painting.
- Hypothetical Casting: Continuing the trend from Super Sentai vs. Power Rangers: The Liveblog, the writer fancasts several characters, including a recast.
- Ari!Carter Grayson—the Red Lightspeed Ranger in Arika's world—has his original actor, Sean Cw Johnson, playing him in flashbacks in IV. Starting in Power Rangers Clockwork, his new hypothetical actor would be Drew Gulak. In-universe, the recast is justified because Carter's original body is in no condition for a resurrection, and Akira decides to create a new body that closely matches Arika's regular combat style.
- Brynja's hypothetical actress would be Heather Masters, best known as Circus Baby in Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location.
- Asgaut's hypothetical actor would be Robin Atkin Downes.
- Aricin's hypothetical actor would be Buddy Murphy.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: Arika and Ari!Carter appearing in the story gives away what their fates are in IV: that the former regains her memories, personality, and powers, and the latter's brought back to life, albeit in a new body.
- Meaningful Rename: Like in the original mod, the castle used to be called "Velothi Castle", but due to the metal used for the rooms and the portal, as well as how hard the Velothi family worked on said portal, it was renamed "Urverk Castle". "Urverk" roughly means "Clockwork" in Swedish, even though the story takes place in Norway.
- Minimalist Cast: There are only six named characters featured in the story: Arika/Ultimate Goddess Arcadiarika, the Carter Grayson of her world, Sean/Ultimate Red Legendary Ranger, Brynja, Asgaut, and Aricin Velothi. As well as countless unnamed Gilded Automatons.
- Named by the Adaptation: The Amalgam in the original mod is renamed Aricin Velothi in the story, as a result of the latter being given a backstory before his own transformation into the Gilded Amalgam.
- "On the Next Episode of..." Catchphrase: "And soon, another page of the tale will be revealed", altering the same catchphrase from Seijuu Sentai Gingaman.
- Power Trio: Arika/Arcadiarika, Ari!Carter Grayson, and Sean, of the Two Guys and a Girl variant.
- Related in the Adaptation: In the original mod, a character known as Amalgam has no relationship between Lahar and Lamashtu. His equivalent in the story, Aricin Velothi, does, being the son of Brynja and Asgaut Velothi.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Ari!Carter's reaction when Asgaut tells the Rangers that they are trapped in the castle in Chapter 2.Ari!Carter: "You mean to tell us were trapped here? Yeah, no, Im sorry, but this is one of those times where I have to say this
I heard yall out, I think yall are fucking insane, Im outta here!"
- The sword Brynja gifts to Aricin is named "Mezzanine", which is taken from the album of the same name by Massive Attack.
- Ari!Carter's response to Asgaut, as seen above, is based on Joel Rawlings' reaction in the first episode of Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue.
- The remnant featured in the story has the same properties as the remnant in Five Nights at Freddy's, in which it's used to bind a soul after death, and it breaks down in high temperatures.
- Something Completely Different: The story marks a departure in that there's no liveblog, it is simply a side story written in script format, and the usual characters such as Rika, the other Legendary Rangers, and the Brotherhood of Destruction do not appear.
- Was Once a Man: All the Gilded Automatons were once humans who either tried to search for the family or plunder the tunnels and castle of rumored riches, or were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. After Brynja and Aricin/the Gilded Amalgam killed them, they created a process to fuse their skeletons into armor and inject them with the Remnant afterwards.
- Whole Plot Reference: To the Skyrim mod Clockwork, as stated by the writer.