He was mainly active from 1958 to 1983, with some of his most notable roles being Professor Gill in Kikaider and the Black Cross Fuhrer in Himitsu Sentai Gorenger. He was well respected by his castmates for his professionalism and the high level of commitment he brought to each role he played. Unfortunately, midway through Gorenger he began suffer from health issues which led to his premature exit from the show and the Black Cross Fuhrer being recast. He did at least get to play one more memorable role in the form of Strategist Reider in Space Sheriff Sharivan. It is said that Ando's portrayal of Reider was so frightening that some children became too scared to watch Sharivan.
He tragically passed away at an unknown point in 1997.
- Black Cross Fuhrer in episodes 1-55 of Himitsu Sentai Gorenger
- Detective Sugiyama in Moonlight Mask
- Doctor Over in in the Giant Robo television series
- Fuhrer Geisel in Inazuman
- Professor Gill in Kikaider
- Professor Monster in Spider-Man (Japan)
- Strategist Reider in Space Sheriff Sharivan
- The human form of the Monster of the Week in episode 16 of Kamen Rider Amazon
- The human form of the Monster of the Week in episode 8 of Denshi Sentai Denziman
Tropes associated with Ando:
- Actor-Inspired Element:
- The character of Professor Gill was shaped quite a bit by Ando's portrayal of him, including the way he plays his flute. His pale white face came from Ando's insistence on wearing makeup to better convey the look of a man who hadn't been exposed to sunlight and lived surrounded by machines.
- The Black Cross Fuhrer changing forms midway through Gorenger came from Ando asking to have a costume that showed his face.
- Cold Ham: Could easily switch between dominating a scene with his hamminess, to dominating a scene by being eerily stoic instead.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Part of the reason Ando got so many roles in Toku was because he was willing to wear makeup, something disliked by a lot of actors since it obscures their faces, in order to fully immerse himself in his roles.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: He played some truly evil Toku villains, but was said by his colleagues to be very polite and professional to the point of taking all his roles seriously.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Ando exceled at playing these kinds of characters. Shozo Uehara, who wrote for Inazuman, admitted to finding Ando's acting as Fuhrer Geisel to be terrifying, and Ando's portrayal of Strategist Reider apparently traumatized the childhoods of many in Japan.