David Matthew Macfadyen (born 17 October 1974 in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk) is an English actor of Scottish and Welsh descent.
His career began on British stages before branching out into television with roles on Warriors, Spooks and The Way We Live Now. The big screen breakthrough came with the role of Mr. Darcy on Pride & Prejudice (2005).
Other roles of his include Daniel Howells in Death at a Funeral, John Birt in Frost/Nixon, the Sheriff of Nottingham inRobin Hood (2010), and Benjamin in The Nutcracker and the Four Realms. TV-wise, he played Edmund Reid on Ripper Street and Tom Wambsgans on Succession.
- Enigma (2001): Cave
- Pride and Prejudice (2005): Fitzwilliam Darcy
- Death at a Funeral (2007): Daniel Howells
- Frost/Nixon (2008): John Birt
- Robin Hood (2010): The Sheriff of Nottingham
- The Pillars of the Earth (2010): Prior Philip
- The Three Musketeers (2011): Athos
- Anna Karenina (2012): Oblonsky
- Ripper Street (2012-2016): Det. Inspector Edmund Reid
- Ambassadors (2013): "Prince of Darkness"
- The Current War (2017): J.P. Morgan
- The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018): Benjamin Stahlbaum
- Succession (2018-2023): Tom Wambsgans
- The Assistant (2019): Wilcock
- Quiz (2020): Charles Ingram
- Operation Mincemeat (2021): Charles Cholmondeley
- Stonehouse (2023): John Stonehouse
- Deadpool III (2024)
Tropes in his career:
- Fake American: A Brit playing American in The Current War, Succession and The Assistant.
- Real-Life Relative: His real-life wife, Keeley Hawes (his co-star in Spooks prior to their marriage) appears as his character's wife in Death at a Funeral and Stonehouse
- Those Two Actors: Appears with Keira Knightley in Pride and Prejudice, Anna Karenina (both Joe Wright productions) and The Nutcracker and the Four Realms.