Jonathan Hyde (born 21 May 1948 in Brisbane, Australia) is an Australian-born British actor who has lived in the United Kingdom since 1969. Due to his refined accent and bearing, he's often cast as posh, upper-class types. His best-known roles are likely Herbert Cadbury in the Richie Rich film, J. Bruce Ismay in James Cameron's Titanic and dual roles as Samuel Alan Parrish/Hunter Van Pelt in Jumanji. He's also a well-respected and renowned theatre actor.
- 1994 Richie Rich as Herbert Arthur Runcible Cadbury
- 1995 Jumanji as Samuel Alan Parrish/Hunter Van Pelt
- 1997 Titanic as J. Bruce Ismay
- 1997 Anaconda as Warren Westridge
- 1999 The Mummy as Dr. Allen Chamberlain
- 2001 The Tailor of Panama as Cavendish
- 2001 Princess of Thieves as Prince John
- 2004 Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking as George Pentney
- 2006 Land of the Blind as Smith
- 1994 Sherlock Holmes as Culverton Smith
- 1999 Joan of Arc as John Plantagenet, Duke of Bedford
- 2002 Midsomer Murders as Frank Smythe-Webster
- 2002 Dinotopia as Mayor Waldo
- 2011 Spooks as Ilya Gavrik
- 2014 The Strain as Eldritch Palmer
- 2016 Trollhunters as Walter Strickler (voice)
- 2016 Tokyo Trial as William Webb
- Evil Brit: Plays roles like this a lot.
- I Am Very British: His refined manner, regal accent and smooth voice make him this trope incarnate, to the point that many viewers are surprised to learn he's actually Australian.
- Large Ham: In Jumanji (although only when playing Van Pelt).
- Production Posse: He's worked three times with Guillermo del Toro.
- Vacation, Dear Boy: The reason he sometimes stars in bad projects is often because he has fun doing it, for example when he filmed The Curse of King Tut's Tomb, he was just happy to go to India.And then I went to India to shoot an absolutely ghastly pile of tosh, but we were in Jaipur for seven weeks; I'd never been to India and I found it the most astonishingly beautiful, wonderful and nourishing country I'd ever been to in my life. Thank you very much: where next?