Sherlock Holmes and the Horror of Frankenstein is a 2013 graphic novel, written by Luke Benjamen Kuhns and drawn by Marcie Klinger , and published by MX Publishing.
London, 1883. Bodies are being removed from their graves and no one knows who is behind it or why. When a man is found murdered at the scene of the most recent grave robbery Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson are brought in to shed much needed light upon this grim scene. Join the great detective and his trusted colleague as they venture down the rabbit hole where what they uncover can only be seen to be believed.
- Collapsing Lair: Dr. Pretorious sets the electrical equipment in his dungeon lab to overload as he is attacked by the Frankenstein Monster and his mate. Holmes and Watson, who have been locked out of the lab, make a mad scramble up the stiars and outside as the corridor starts to explode behind them. They just make it outside and dive for cover as the entire castle explodes and collapse in on itself.
- Dr. Genericius: Dr. Pretorious. It is unclear if he is intended to be the same Dr. Pretorius from Bride of Frankenstein.
- A God Am I: During his Villainous Breakdown, Mad Scientist Dr. Pretorious starts screaming at the monsters to obey him, ending in this trope.Frankenstein Monster: We are not insects, we are the Adam Eve of your labours!!
Dr. Pretorious: I am your god!!... And you will obey me!
- Grave Robbing: Holmes is first alerted to the case when a string of grave robberies escalates to murder. He is further intrigued when he learns that all of the graves belonged to women of noble lineage, and that only the bodies were taken: leaving behind the valuables, and even the clothes the bodies were dressed in.
- Human Popsicle: The story begins with Dr. Pretorious discovering the Frankenstein Monster frozen in the Arctic ice, a century after the events of the novel Frankenstein. He chisels the creature free and has it shipped back to England still encased in a block of ice.
- Mad Scientist: Dr. Pretorious in the mad scientist who freed the Frankenstein Monster from the Arctic ice, and is now attempting to create a similar creature.
- Man on Fire: During the fight in the graveyard, Watson sets fire to the monster by flinging his oil lantern at it. The monster flees in panic.
- "Scooby-Doo" Hoax: What Inspector Bradstreet believes the whole business to be. Holmes is insulted that Bradstreet thinks he could be taken in by people in theatrical costumes.
- Shout-Out: Contains several to the Universal Horror Frankenstein films:
- Upon reviving the monster, Dr. Pretorious shouts "IT'S ALIVE!" as Henry Frankenstein (Colin Clive) famously does in Frankenstein (1931).
- The Mad Scientist Dr. Pretorious, who rescues the monster and attempts to create a mate for him, shares his name with the villain from Bride of Frankenstein, a Mad Scientist who rescues the monster and attempts to create a mate for him.
- Taking You with Me: When Dr. Pretorious suffers his Villainous Breakdown he sets the electrical equipment in his lab to overload and blows up his castle in an attempt to take Holmes, Watson and the monsters with him.
- Villainous Breakdown: Dr. Pretorious suffers one when the monsters rebel against him. He slips into 'A God Am I' mode before blowing up his own castle in an attempt to kill Holmes, Watson and the monsters.