Sigil is an American comicbook series that ran for 42 issues from July 2000 to December 2003, and is one of the four initial publications of Crossgen.
Sigil is a Space Opera story depicting an ongoing war between the Planetary Union, a group of five human-inhabited planets, and the Saurian Hegemony, a race of alien Lizard Folk. Currently stalemated, things erupt into violence when a human soldier-turned-mercenary, Samandahl "Sam" Rey, is imbued with god-like powers by a mysterious brand on his chest.
A two-issue mini-series, "Saurians: Unnatural Selection" serves as a prequel.
This Series contains examples of:
- A God Am I: When a saurian is given his own Sigil, he goes completely insane with power.
- Aristocrats Are Evil:
- Sultan Ronolo of Tanipal, who is playing off the humans and the saurians against each other, and secretly making deals to betray two of the Planetary Union's worlds to the saurians for power, even knowing that the saurians will devour the inhabitants of both worlds. After his treachery comes out, he repeatedly makes himself a thorn in humanity's side.
- The Saurian Matriarchy, Tchlusarud's mother, betrays her son in order to claim the throne.
- Blood Sport: Gladiatorial combat by way of "pseudosaurs" controlled through cybernetic brain implants is apparently a profitable entertainment in this world.
- Cannibalism Superpower: The Saurians can absorb genetic material from creatures they eat and augment their own DNA with hijacked traits. Consuming human flesh has caused the race to become increasingly intelligent and aggressive, which is at the root of their desire to conquer humanity.
- Crossover: Sam spends multiple issues in the world of Brath, and then a shorter period of time in Meridian.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Gaia, humanity's homeworld, undergoes a controlled variant of this after being struck by an enormous weaponized asteroid that Sam couldn't completely destroy. It shatters the former planet into a series of huge asteroids, with the population surviving under pressurized domes.
- Enemy Mine: For a significant portion of the series, Sam must work with his enemy Tchlusarud in order to face off against the made saurian Sigil-bearer.
- Mind over Matter: Sam's Sigil allows him to mentally manipulate and transform any and all inorganic matter he desires.