Dan Johnson is a low-level corporate schlub who's office just happens to be a spaceship at the edge of the universe. And in this universe, it's not the most exciting job. He's a technician who has to deal with his nagging partner, Joules, and Komputer, the ship's A.I. who likes to play music at inappropriate times. The only thing that he has to look forward to is his next cup of coffee.
All he wants to do is leave his life and job behind and have some excitement. Well Be Careful What You Wish For, Danny boy!
The comic was funded on Kickstarter on April 10th, 2012. It was published in May the same year.
Dan In Space contains examples of:
- Extra Eyes:The Lorkis tend to have their eyes bunched together in two small groups on both sides of their face.
- Fell Asleep Standing Up: Dan does this in Zito's Pizza while talking to Mili and Dali.
- Humanoid Aliens: The Lorkis are humanoid in general shape, but are much shorter, have big curved horns, and the eye situation mentioned above.
- Kiss of Life: Joules has to give Dan one so he can regain consciousness after being towed back into the ship. She is repulsed afterwards by Dan's coffee breath.
- Must Have Caffeine: Dan likes his coffee.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Apparently the ship's A.I. has a tendency to play music in situations where it would not be appropriate. For example, when Joules is pulling Dan back into the ship after he gets sucked out into space and is losing consciousness, Komputer plays Klassical Techno.
- Space Station: Dan lives on one that's across the galaxy from Earth.
- To Be Continued: Issue One ends with Dan floating in space.
- Wrench Wench: Joules. Her job on the ship is to fix any damage that it incurs.
- You Have GOT to Be Kidding Me!: Dan says this before he gets sucked out into space by a hallway that has been sliced in half.