Based in the Cauldron, Gotham City's Irish district, Section Eight are a bunch of questionably heroic superheroes who occasionally provided aid to hitman Tommy Monaghan back in the day, but have since gone their separate ways. But now former leader Sixpack has experienced a premonition. Something bad is coming, and only he and his team can stop it. And thus he sets out on a quest to rebuild Section Eight.
This series contains examples of:
- The Alcoholic: As his name implies, Sixpack drinks a lot.
- Blessed with Suck: Friendly Fire, the only member of the team who has a legitimate superpower - he can fire destructive energy blasts from his hands. But they only hit his allies.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Dogwelder is a guy who spot-welds dogs to criminals.
- Identity Amnesia: After being hit in the head with a mallet while in the middle of very bluntly turning down Sixpack's offer to join Section Eight, Wonder Woman turns into a cheerful, child-like Ditz who wants nothing more than to join Section Eight.
- Meaningful Name: The team name "Section 8" comes from the military designation for those considered unfit for military service.
- It's also a two-fer: Section 8 is also the Department of Housing's low-income rent subsidy program, i.e. the projects.
- Putting the Band Back Together: The series opens with Sixpack attempting to get Section Eight back together.
- Race Lift: One issue features a rapping African-American Soul Brotha version of The Phantom Stranger. With Etrigan doing a "feature spot" promoting the TPB editions of Ennis's and McCrea's run on The Demon, which were out in a new edition at the same time as this comic.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The team includes a severe alcoholic, a walking mass of internal organs, and a guy who spot-welds dogs to people. Calling them misfits might be an understatement.
- Whole Plot Reference: The implication at the ending that Sixpack is a hallucination of his mundane-universe self dying of hypothermia in an alley after falling off the wagon is a parody of the Flex Mentallo miniseries.