The TV series:
open/close all folders
The 1960s series
Played By: Steven Hill
- The Pete Best: Was only in one season, due to issues with the actor.
Played By: Peter Graves
- The All-American Boy: Jim grew up in a small lakeside town called Norville, where his father ran a fishing and boat-rental business and where he played football in high school (fittingly, he was the quarterback).
- The Leader
Played By: Martin Landau
- Breakout Character: He proved so popular with audiences that he became a de facto regular.
- The Lancer: Takes over some when Dan or Jim aren't there.
- Master of Disguise: Rollin pretty much invented the Latex Perfection trope.
Played By: Peter Lupus
- The Big Guy
- Genius Bruiser: Since a chart-busting IQ is an IMF requirement...
- World's Strongest Man: Former champion weightlifter. In fact, he was originally recruited solely due to his ability to lift up a gigantic bomb one handed.
Played By:Greg Morris
- Badass Bookworm: The man is also a boxer, which comes in handy sometimes.
- Black and Nerdy: He's the team's technical wiz and African-American.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Invented most of the nifty toys the team uses in the field, with the most notable exception being the masks, which are created by Rollin, Paris or Casey.
- The Smart Guy
Played By: Barbara Bain
- The Chick: Both played straight and averted. Played straight in that she's the only woman on the team, is beautiful, and is often there to be the roper for the con. Averted in that she's just as heroic, dedicated, and brilliant as the men on the team, isn't there to nurture the guys, and there are some throwaway lines that suggest the guys think she's the most temperamentally suited to be a spy on the team.
Played By: Leonard Nimoy
- Master of Disguise: Taking over after Rollin left the team.
- Only One Name: Played straight.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: For Rollin.
- The Lancer: More the type that clashes some with the Hero, both fake and occasionally for real.
Played By: Lesley Ann Warren
Played By: Sam Elliott
Played By:Lynda Day George
- Only One Name: Played straight for much of her run. Toward the end, her first name was revealed to be Lisa.
- Master of Disguise: Took over both this role and the roper/distraction role.
Played By:Barbara Anderson
The 1980s Series
Played By: Peter Graves
Played By:Thaao Penghlis
Played By:Anthony Hamilton
Played By: Phil Morris
- Gadgeteer Genius:Just like his father.
- The Lancer: Shares this some with Nicholas. Also:
- The Smart Guy: Graduated MIT at 16.
Played By:Terry Markwell
- The Chick
- Killed Off for Real: Murdered by the villains of "The Fortune". She's the only IMF agent shown being killed on duty.
Played By:Jane Badler