Due to this fanfic taking place after the events of Monsters University, there is bound to be a WHOLE LOT of Call Backs to the film.
open/close all folders
Life's a Scream Prologue
- Laura Sharp's first field trip to Monsters, Inc. is reminiscent of Baby Mike's in the movie, complete with sneaking into a child's room to watch the Scarer doing his work.
Chapter One: A Day for the History Books
- We pick up where University left off (sort of) as we see Don Carlton and Sherry Squibbles get married in the stadium.
- The Oozma Kappa (OK) Fraternity shouted their Catchphrase "We're OK!" after Don and Sherry were officially married.
- Brock Pearson mentioned that Claire Wheeler didn't calm down at the conclusion of the final event, in which she reacted like an over-excited sports fan when the OK Fraternity won the Scare Games.
- Terri Perry mentioned to his brother that he took Dance lessons while his brother Terry took English lessons, which is a reference to their respective majors in the movie.
- Naomi remembering how Terry performed magic for her at the ROR party, which is a reminder to the time he danced with her at the aforementioned party in the film.
Chapter Two: New Arrivals
- The two newspaper articles Laura Sharp has in her possession both allude to events in the film: the OK Fraternity getting pranked by the ROR Fraternity, and Mike and Sulley being hauled away by the CDA.
- Laura Sharp's first day at Monsters University is also quite similar to Mike's as she was well received by the Resident Assistants (RA), except without the tour of the University like the movie.
- OK also finally gets their own fraternity house in the frat row.
- Laura Sharp, while eating at the university cafeteria, commented to herself that the food really is made by the best chefs in the (monster) world, which is what the RA (Resident Assistant) Fay mentioned in the movie.
- Laura Sharp's interruption of Professor Knight's Scaring Class when Squishy is giving the principles of an effective roar is similar to Mike doing the same thing just prior to Sulley's first appearance in the movie (except without the legendary roar).
- Professor Derek Knight calls Fear Tech personnel as "Fear Tech Dummies...", which is the same phrase used by Sulley in the movie while hiding their mascot in Mike's room.
- Dean Hardscrabble's "inspiring" speech is reminiscent of the one near the end of the movie, but she stated that she was looking out for particularly talented students, especially those who can "surprise" her, which references her comment about Mike Wazowski surprising her at the end of Monsters University. She also checked her newly replaced Scare Canister; the original was ruined by Mike and Sulley in the movie. She also enters the Scaring Classroom more or less the same way as what she did in the movie.
- The OK Fraternity, Mike and Sulley stealing Archie the Scare Pig again, except this time it's to impress the ROR Fraternity.
- The Slug Student, now ironically named Theo 'Turbo', is seen slowly running again, this time to his first ever Fraternity and Sorority Party. Later he is riding on Archie the Scare Pig the same way Mike is doing in the movie, before being flung off.
- Laura's way of trapping Archie the Scare Pig at the Frat Row is the same as Mike's in the film, and during the chase she leaps over a ping pong table (but not breaking it) as well as grabbing a pizza from a student's hand, just like Sulley in the movie. The two sororities (HSS and EEK) bickering over her to join their own sorority is quite similar to Sulley's predicament in the movie after catching the Scare Pig, complete with Johnny Worthington's appearance.
- The OK Fraternity's introduction to Laura Sharp is quite similar to their first introduction to Mike and Sulley upon first entering the OK Fraternity House, especially the scene in which Don gave Laura his card.
- When the OK and ROR Fraternities exchange barbs of conversation with each other, Chet's agreement with Mike is lifted word for word from the film, as in "Oh, boy, that's a good point!"
Chapter Three: A Brand New Sorority
- At the gathering for the Kick-Off for the Scare Games, Naomi met Nadya who mentioned that maybe like last Semester, the PNK Sorority will at least make it to the third to final round. In the actual film, the PNK Sorority were eliminated at the "Don't Scare the Teen" portion of the Scare Games.
- Brock and Claire's lines at the Kick-Off of the Scare Games are lifted from the original film. For instance, Brock tells Laura that she needs to join a Sorority to compete in the Scare Games, and telling the OK Fraternity that they "count bodies, not heads." Brock also uses a similar line for "It's a Miracle!"
- During Scare Games registration, Laura took a page from Mike, through last minute sign-ups by the female monsters who will become her teammates in her own Sorority. The initiation for that sorority, Exceeda Zeta, is reminiscent of Oozma Kappa's own initiation, except using a thick branch instead of bats. Laura snaps the branch and burns it when she gets peeved; Sulley did pretty much the same thing (without setting fire) after being whacked by the Terry brothers during the film's initiation sequence.
- Randall's flashback of the ROR Fraternity members coming to his room to offer him a ROR jacket and welcome him back to the Fraternity. And during his later flashback of the meeting with the OK Fraternity, he mentioned what he did to them at the ROR Party in the film.
- Laura's conversation with the four female Monsters of her sorority is based on the scene of the OK Fraternity introducing themselves to Mike and Sulley earlier in the film. And when the OK Fraternity fell into a heap into Laura's dorm room, their introductions are based on the film's introductions for them.
Chapter Four: Explosive Difficulties
- Randall's ability to blend in with his surroundings (from the University movie) was mentioned, as well as him being a member of the ROR Fraternity.
- Art mentioned to Dot that he first studied New Age Philosophy before he was accepted into the Scaring program (and was initially thrown out at first).
- The Oozma Kappa original Fraternity House, which is also the home of Squishy Carlton's home, makes an appearance in this Chapter.
- Laura Sharp brought up the subject of Randall's membership in the ROR Fraternity last semester, which the lizard monster was uncomfortable to talk about.
- Monnie accidentally tapped a remote which activated the disco ball which was hidden in the ceiling of the OK Frat House, and Terry even mentioned how it got broken, as seen in the movie.
- Mrs Carlton brought back the "Hot Cocoa" train to indulge the Exceeda Zeta Sorority girls.
- Mike told the Exceeda Zeta Sorority girls the origin story of how he joined and trained Oozma Kappa, which details the events of Monsters University.
- During the story, Mike mentioned key events including his expulsion from the Scaring Program, the bet he made with Dean Hardscrabble at the sign-ups, Jaws Theta Chi (JOX)'s disqualification from the first Scare Games event, the humiliation event which happened at the ROR party, and most importantly, the break-in into Monsters, Inc. which reinvigorated their spirits.
- The OK Fraternity members mentioned the various famous Scarers which they watched on Scare Floor D, such as Earl "The Terror" Thompson, Carla "Killer Claws" Benitez and Screaming "Bob" Gunderson. (which turned out to be the same floor that Fillmore Sharp worked in.)
- Mike also explained how he and Sulley got expelled due to their "brief trip" into the human world, as well as Sulley rigging the Scare Simulator in the Scare Games Final.
- In Laura's flashback, we get to see how Sulley was like when he was much younger and was on his own field trip to Monsters Inc. His behaviour is almost the same as how he behaved in University.
- Randall Boggs reflected on what he had done to Mike, such as rejecting his plea to join Oozma Kappa, how he pitched in to help the ROR Fraternity with their prank, as well as what happened at the Scare Games Final.
- Mrs Carlton brought up the subject of Randall's baking skills, which he was shown to be incredibly talented in, as seen in University.
- Mike and Randall patched up their relationship with forgiveness for each other and the latter even mentioned that the ROR Fraternity wasn't the kind of friends he hoped for, while the OK Fraternity was better than what he had hoped for, which brings back Randall's behaviour in University which shows that he just wanted to have friends who appreciate him.
- Mike called Squishy and the rest of the OK Fraternity to start their training with "Scary Steps", just like how they did their first training under Mike's tutoring in the film.