The Wonderful Galaxy of Oz is a 1992 animated film based off of L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. The film is a highly condensed version of the 26-episode anime Space Oz no Bouken (Adventures of Space Oz).
In the year 2060, an 8-year old girl named Dorothy Gale and her genetically enhanced dog Talk-Talk are mysteriously swept off their planet of New Kansas. The duo end up in the mysterious galaxy of Oz, where they meet Plantman, Chopper, and Lionman, as well as the mysterious scientist Dr. Oz. To save the galaxy from the wicked witch Gloomhilda, they must find the three Crystals of Love, Wisdom, and Courage.
This film provides examples of:
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Toto is brown instead of black, and Dorothy has blonde hair instead of the common brown.
- Adaptation Name Change:
- The Wicked Witch of the West is named "Gloomhilda". Her mother, the real witch, is unnamed.
- The Wizard of Oz is a professor named "Dr. Oz".
- Big Bad: Gloomhilda is the evil witch attempting to take over the galaxy. Ends up subverted, as her mother was pulling the strings and is the real evil to the galaxy.
- Compressed Adaptation: The film version squeezes 26 half-hour episodes into only 79 minutes.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Gloomhilda is a wicked witch and smokes from a pipe.
- HeelFace Turn: Gloomhilda becomes inspired by Dorothy and her friends' courage and refuses to harm them.
- MacGuffin: The three Crystals of Love, Courage, and Wisdom are needed to defeat the witch. At the end they combine into the Rainbow Crystal.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: The series is the Land of Oz franchise as a sci-fi anime.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Gloomhilda's mother is initially sealed in her necklace, and is sealed away again in the ending.
- Setting Update: The series is set in the mid-21st century instead of in the early 20th century, and in outer space instead of a fantasy land.
- Take Over the World: Gloomhilda plans to take over the galaxy and regain her lost empire.
- Taken for Granite: The Wicked Witch of the West turns Gloomhilda and her minions into stone for disobeying her.
- Youthful Freckles: Dorothy is depicted as a youthful girl with freckles.