A Rare Sentence
A Rare Sentence entry requiring an entire page to itself? Now that is a rare sentence in and of itself.
From Chapter 14:
- Luffy: Well, anyways, I'm gonna go and eat all this castle's food and then get our reindeer-doctor to join us! See you! (zips away)
Cross: I'm not the only one who can't believe that that sentence makes sense to me, right? Right?
Nami: Eh... I think I became a bit desensitized after 'a seagull grabbed my head when I flew up to catch it'.
From Chapter 15:
- Sanji: "What did I miss?"
Luffy: "We became friends with a shapeshifting okama who stole Cross's face but he turned out to be one of the bad guys who's hurting Vivi's country."
Sanji (blinking): "Okay."
From Chapter 21:
- Cross: A homicidal otter with dual shell-blades and a vulture armed with high-caliber machineguns stole my talking snail and then tried to kill me when I jumped off a building to catch up to them! (Beat) What the hell has my life become?
Nami: Madness and insanity, Cross, madness and insanity.
From Chapter 27
- Vivi: Alright, then, everyone! Let's get going to see the man who'll help us sail to the sky! (Beat) I cannot believe I just said that with a straight face...
From Chapter 29:
- Lassoo: (in a bored tone) Our cheap-as-all-hell navigator refused to pay the entry toll at Heaven's Gate, and we beat all the angel officers that came to fine and arrest us, so a giant lobster carried our crew away here, and we had to fight past tons of booby traps, a talking cream puff, and a bald guy with his giant dog on our way to them. (Beat) And I'm not sure that's the weirdest thing that's happened to us since I joined this crew a few days ago.
From Chapter 32:
- Drake: Do not resist arrest, duck. (Beat) Arresting a giant duck... why did it have to be the Straw Hats?
- Also, when Drake is listing Cross's crimes and includes "Assault with a deadly snail", Cross asks if he really just said that.
From Chapter 34:
- Itomimizu: I AM NOT A MUPPET!
Buggy: ...Well, that's a phrase I never thought I'd hear again.
Alvida: What the hell kind of ship did you serve on before going independent?
From Chapter 38, in the Author's Notes:
- Xomniac: "What would be a good expression for a giant concentrating to fake an accent?" I never thought I'd find myself asking that question, and yet I nonetheless did while writing this chapter.
From Chapter 40:
- Cross: Alright, who laughed at the giraffe!? Who the hell is responsible for making me utter the phrase 'Who laughed at the giraffe' in complete and utter seriousness and context!?
- So saying, the menacing pigeon strolled forward, advancing on my talking snail, my bazooka-dog, and myself as I racked my brains for a way out of the bisected thirty-story Tower of Justice.
Cross: ...My life is so warped.
- Lassoo: It's a sad day for CP9 when a pigeon is more threatening than a bull.
Cross: (Beat) ...Good grief. I'm fighting a pigeon, I just kicked a bull in the face, and a giraffe cut this entire tower in half. Zoro was right, this place is a zoo!
From Chapter 42:
- Boss: He [Cross] said... something about having a way to save Merry in the tower, but he got attacked by a pigeon before he could say more.
Franky: ...It's a fine day in the Grand Line when I can hear a sentence like that and not question how much it makes sense.
- A world away in a fairytale land of sweets, a Long-Leg man and a lion gaped at a cackling snail in shock. Contrary to appearances, this was not the setup to a joke.
From Chapter 43, in the Author's Note:
- Hornet: Apropos of nothing, I'm quite pleased I got to properly use the sentences "But first, we need a reaction to her telling physics to bite the pillow." and "So, first off, we need to un-orphan that punchline." while we were writing this.
From Chapter 44, in chapter and between the Cross-Brain:
don't burn down the city again, alright?"
Cross: "Ah, c'mon, Vivi! When have I ever done that twice on the same island?"
Vivi: "I can't believe that I'm accepting that as an answer to any question..."
- Xomniac: Heheheh, I told ya that including the penguins was a good idea! (Beat) ...god bless the fact that I got to use that phrase in context.
From Chapter 46:
- ...I stated intelligently before shrugging and turning my attention back to the bloody but ultimately unremarkable brawl between the wedding guests (did I really just say that?).
From Chapter 47
- Luffy: Our ship is trying to eat my hat!
From Chapter 48:
- Cross: (explaining his plan to Brook) Your first job upon us reaching the island will be to bamboozle the Ghost Princess of Thriller Bark, Perona. (Beat) I love the fact that I get the chance to use the word 'bamboozle'.
From Chapter 49, in the Author's Notes:
- The Patient One: In writing this chapter, I found myself saying, "Xom, you're comparing a giant warthog to a former master swordsman."
- ...But even as relatively unnatural as Thriller Bark was, the sight of a speedo-clad cyborg swinging around a giant pair of flaming oaks linked by a chain to bash down the walking dead as though he were playing a macabre, jumbo-sized game of Whack-A-Mole was a whole new level of 'weird' for the island's ghastly inhabitants.
- What ensued was one of the more bizarre chase scenes ever: a zombie in a bat costume that somehow allowed him to fly being chased by a manatee-sea turtle hybrid jumping off the air.
- Donny: Note to self After I get Tidal Swim down pat, start training with Robin to deal with opponents who have more than two arms And suddenly that is a threat that is valid in my life. Unbe-freaking-lievable, one day my usual opponents are other dugongs, and now it's like I'm living in a dream!
From Chapter 51:
- The only solution seemed to be to destroy the bodies entirely, and actually destroying a human body is miles harder than it has any right to be!
That would sound so wrong out of context.
From Chapter 52:
- Nami: I owe you one, friend
- The Obelisks of the Florian, the second most powerful eldritch beings I've ever seen in my life (so help me God, I actually have to make that distinction) had all shifted in color...
From Chapter 54:
- Author's Notes: Think you could edit in Largo strumming or tuning his guitar menacingly? ...dear god that's actually a thing in this instance.
- Boss: Since when are you this snippy?
Cross: Since our idiot captain batted you onto the giant bug over there, followed by said idiot captain then stretching himself up to said bug, and finally our resident Ghost Princesswho I still need to swear vengeance against, by the way tricked said idiot captain into dragging me up to said bug, which culminated in our high-fiving a cliff with our bodies. Final count? Blame the idiot captain, leave me to my pain
Boss: It is a wonder that that whole series of events actually makes sense to me.
From Chapter 57:
- Apis: In all fairness, [Lindy] did just reincarnate after plodding along in his old body for the past few centuries, so I think he's a bit high on his youth right now.
Leo: It says a lot about the last few months that we don't even question that sentence, doesn't it?
From Chapter 59:
- Author's Notes: "Vaguely New Englandish Sexy Bass" is something I can do passably well, and there's not something I ever saw myself saying.
Is anyone else just now realizing that we're really not questioning the fact that we're talking with a naturally speaking starfish right now?
Apis: Not even top ten on our charts. This week.
From Chapter 60:
- Hachi:"No swordfighting in the restaurant except during the squinja migration! And I don't see any black-clad squid around here!"
Koala: "I'm sorry, the what?"
Hachi: "The squinja migration. Every spring and fall, the squinja clans migrate through here on the way in between their hidden villages."
Cross: "...OK, you can't tell me now that I'm not dreaming."
- Author's Notes: I honestly never expected to say that, but we discovered several missing hands during proofreading. Keeping track of Hachi's choreography was a pain.
From Chapter 61:
- Cross: The starfish does have a point there... (Beat) "The starfish has a point"... This is not how I envisioned adulthood.
- Now, though, the builders of Skelter Bite had used a Marine Battleship to fill that gap. A years-out-of-date, defaced to hell and back battleship, but it still made for a heavily armed, extremely sturdy barbican and Roger help me there's another word I never thought I'd use in perfect context.
- Bonney: "Uh... just so you guys know, there are dragons flying over the walls."
Now, Bonney had sailed Paradise from start to finish, so she'd come to expect a lot from the madhouse of an ocean...
Risky Brothers: "Huh? The scouting party's back already? Thanks for letting us know!"
But that response was most definitely not one of them.
From Chapter 63:
- Nami: I-It was all going so well until the bear got involved.... why, why did the bear have to get involved?
Lola: That is a phrase I never wanted to hear in this office again, if ever.
From Chapter 67:
- Luffy: "See, I had this idea..."
Fukaboshi: "I feel like I should be screaming in terror. It's the oddest thing."
Cross: "It's Luffy thinking, I'm pretty sure that's your primal instincts warning you that this is all against the laws of the universe."
From Chapter 75:
- Sadi: "We wouldn't be in this mess if you had put your foot down and kept those limacious bivalves out! We had an accord, and you're letting them ignore it!"
Magellan: "...I see that your thesaurus calendar has been put to good use."
From the Canon Omakes:
- Cross: I realize that he might have been callous, but damn it, and I can't believe I'm saying this for so many reasons, the snail has a point!
- Smoker: We would be willing to pay you quite handsomely for your services, of course. (Beat) I never thought I'd be saying those words to assassins...
- Jones: I'm with the other Straw Hats. You know, the crew a dimension to the left and a few months behind?
Vivi: ...I cannot, for the life of me, believe that I'm not questioning that sentence.
- Sanji: Other me, can you pass the garlic? (Beat) Never thought something like that'd be coming out of my mouth...