Lets re-read The Dresden Files:
edited 19th Nov '10 8:24:10 PM by Belian
- Mailman (trying to figure out what the “wizard” part means) Subtle and quick to anger?
- Dresden “Not so subtle.” Grabs mail. “Can I sign for my mail please?”
- Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
10/322 pages done. Suggestions for Pot Holes would be appreciated as well as suggestions/advice in general.
edited 19th Oct '10 9:47:33 PM by Belian
- And I regretted it. I looked, noted details mechanically, and quietly shut the door on the part of my head that had started screaming the second I entered the room.
- Someone had used magic to make the lovers' hearts explode from their chests
- This person had violated the First Law (?) by using magic to harm another
- “The White Council was going to go into a collective apoplexy.” ...must be related to the First Law
- Was not a spirit, malicious entity, or something from the Nevernever (lovely name) like vampires or trolls.
- Wizards can “tap into the fundamental energies of creation and life itself.”
- Using this life-giving power to kill is worse than a normal murder in Harry's opinion.
- Evocation: classic spell slinging
- Problem: have to be near/line of sight to work. A gun would have been much easier.
- Thaumaturgy: make something happen on a small scale and give it the power to work on a larger scale
- Problem: need something from the person
- Killer must have known the victims to...
- ...get the samples
- ...have strong enough personal reasons for the method that was used
- "Wizards have to...believe in [what they are doing] to make it work....[she would have] to be willing to reach inside them [to kill them] like that."
- The emotions the couple were experiencing during their actions would have helped channel the spell, so the timing was probably intentional.
- Killer is probably a woman because “Women are better at hating than men.”
- Murphy Christ, you are a chauvinist pig, Dresden.
- The girl: Jennifer Stanton. Works at the Velvet Room.
- Place is run by Bianca and is a HIGH CLASS escort service
- Bianca is a vamp. As in vampire. With influence in the Nevernever. (Confused? You are not the only one. Where did THAT come from?)
- Little chance that she is working with a human because "the White Council made sure that vampires that trifle with mortal practitioners never lived long to brag about it."
- Murphy does no know this, because you don't speak to regular people about the White Council. (These guys must be Large And In Charge considering where their name pops up)
- The man: Tommy Tomm. Bodyguard to Johnny Marcone.
- Make that "Gentleman" Johnny Marcone, leader of the Chicago underworld. (Even more unexpected. This is still only chapter 2 and how many plot lines/back-stories do we have?)
- He keeps everything organized and freelancing criminals have a tendency to get turned in or "disappear."
- Better than the alternative of anarchy in the criminal world
- (Guy in car) My name is John Marcone. I would like to discuss business with you.
- It was turning out to be a very busy day. And I was still late for my appointment.
30/322 pages done, about an hour of in universe time, more exposition than you can shake a stick at, and plot moving so fast that if you blinked you missed it. By the way, Word of God is that Hendricks has a degree in Philosophy. Once again, suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
edited 25th Oct '10 8:18:50 PM by Belian
edited 21st Oct '10 12:08:17 PM by slowzombie
edited 21st Oct '10 10:16:06 PM by Belian
- Maybe I was supposed to be holding my hat in my hand, but I had never really liked Francis Ford Coppola, and I did not have a Godfather
- Oh, well. At least I was going to be on time for my appointment
38/322, and it has still been barely an hour.
edited 28th Oct '10 12:44:23 PM by Belian
edited 25th Oct '10 6:15:02 AM by Belian
- So I scooped it up with the corner of the phone book and popped it into the middle drawer of my desk. Out of sight, out of mind.
- So I have a problem with creepy, dead, poisonous things. So sue me.
50/322 pages and about 2 hours from the start. And there has been no action yet. Nearly done with the set-up, though.
edited 25th Oct '10 8:19:27 PM by Belian
- Susan Just a hint. A word shared between two people who are very attracted to one another”
- Harry Which two people would that be?
- *Beat* Harry Dresden, you are a thoroughly maddening man. You didn't look down my blouse even once, did you?
- sips ale Guilty
- Most men are off-balance by now. What does it take with you, anyway, Dresden?
- I'm pure of heart and mind. I cannot be corrupted.
- Susan Would you mind having dinner with me Saturday night?
- Harry No! I- blink What?
- I shook my head, bewildered. They say we wizards are subtle. But believe you [and] me, we've got nothing, nothing at all on women
Ended up skipping a lot of details, including most of the flirtatious-gestures/communication/attraction between Harry and Susan, but I think I got the point across. Along with introducing Mac, I am going to keep track of how much he says in each book. More words=darker overall plot. At least that is the theory. 61/322 and an estimated
- words: 9
- 4 in one sentence.
- audible non-words: 6
edited 9th Nov '10 12:43:36 PM by Belian
edited 1st Nov '10 4:54:02 AM by Medinoc
edited 1st Nov '10 10:09:58 AM by Belian
...And that is quite enough for now. Even skipping that one page of Scenery Porn did not help that much. Other than the part about the car, I have been keeping the descriptions as short as I reasonably can and I am only through 6/15 pages for this chapter.
edited 4th Nov '10 11:04:08 AM by Belian
- Toot-Toot Very well. I have deigned to grant you a single request of some small nature, for the generous gift of your cuisine.
- Harry (tries to keep a strait face) That's very kind of you.
- (looks down nose at Harry...somehow) It is my nature to be both benevolent and wise
- (nods sagely) Uh-huh. Look, Toot. I need to know...*asks question about if someone came to this house recently*
- And if I tell you, I take it you will disassemble this circle which has, by some odd coincidence no doubt, made it's way around me.
- It would only be reasonable
- *“considers” it for a moment* Very well. You will have the information you wish. Release me.
- Are you sure? Do you promise?
- *stamps foot* Harry, you're ruining the drama!
- I want to hear you promise.
- *throws hands up* Fine, fine, Fine! I promise, I promise, I promise! I'll dig up the information you want to know. *starts buzzing around in the circle* Let me out! Let me out!
77/322 pages, guess about
edited 9th Nov '10 12:43:17 PM by Belian