S T R A N G E R S is an online bestiary/ongoing interactive project that details mysterious, semi-tangible creatures called Strangers. Solid and visible but completely unnoticed to most of the world, they live exclusively in populated areas and cause various weird, often dangerous phenomenon all around the world. Chewing wires, clogging gas tanks, inducing stutters, luring people to deserted areas to mangle them beyond recognition... Strangers are mostly disinterested in humans, but their influence is often more harm than good.Despite resembling living organisms, they defy any known laws of nature or physics. Possessing no digestive, nervous, reproductive, circulatory or skeletal systems, the exact mechanics of how they work are vastly unknown. Some strangers are completely hollow inside, others are filled with gas, motor oil, human tissue, or other seemingly meaningless substances. Their existence and behaviors largely incomprehensible to humans, the strangers are an alien yet familiar presence, and the few people who can perceive them have to struggle to investigate what they are and why they do these countless strange, unnerving things.
- Alien Geometries: Zinvinzidrinzi.
- Apocalyptic Log: Not necessarily apocalyptic, but the website takes a catalog/encyclopedia format, and is certainly a little worrying when it comes to its descriptions of the strangers and their abilities.
- Arc Number: Every stranger has one. Word of God states that there is a pattern to the numbers, though not an extremely strict one; for example, #92 (eodromi) is similar to #184 (finidreni), and #15 (derodroni) has traits of both #3 (hale) and #5 (ondroni).
- Beneath the Earth: A common stranger hangout.
- Body Horror: Several strangers, such as the chevradrole; who's body is filled with a cocktail of caustic chemicals and is constantly vomiting the corrosive mixture everywhere it goes.
- Blue and Orange Morality: The strangers are mostly uninterested in humans, going about their own weird business regardless of people. However, their influence is noticeable and often detrimental, and those who do acknowledge humans tend to be malevolent.
- Brown Note: Strangers are full of these; many cause adverse effects to humans just by existing in their general area.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: Nerodroni
- Cosmic Horror: A lot of the tension in this 'story' comes from the fact that the strangers are just so alien, and their role to humans so unknown (but often disconcerting). In addition, most of them are dangerous, with only a very precious few that seem to be purely beneficial.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Both strangers and their victims suffer some weird and unpleasant deaths.
- Driven to Suicide: Victims of some strangers, such as those affected by the endless, blaring voice of the zarodroni.
- Eldritch Abomination: The strangers, possibly. Though not all of them are exactly intimidating or hideous in form, their abilities and effects on people can be disturbing. For instance, silidroni are physically frail, but capable of telepathically blanking the human brain into a catatonic state, and the mirodrette hypnotizes its victims into spontaneously drowning themselves.
- Extra Eyes / Eyes Do Not Belong There: Some strangers, like condroni and mimetidrene.
- Extreme Omnivore: Though they don't seem to need food or water, some strangers eat anyway, and those that do often have... interesting diets. Nerodroni will greedily eat from any ashtrays they find, for instance.
- Eyeless Face: All of the strangers, technically. Though they appear to have eyes (which can even move and secrete substances like tears or acid) these are only superficial markings. They lack any real eyes, ears or other sensory organs.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Certain strangers can inflict them, such as the boguldromi, whose close proximity slows the perceived flow of time. Those who stray too close will find themselves in a state where they experience a single minute as several hundred years. Though it inflicts no physical harm, the psychological damage of being rooted to the same spot of hundreds of years is usually irreparable.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: A few entries imply this of the unnamed author and/or the strangers' victims.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Leuridrene
- Knife Nut: Covecroni
- Mirror Monster: Trasodroni
- Ominous Music Box Tune: Dovadroni have incomprehensible, music box-like voices; however, they're one of the relatively benign strangers.
- Our Monsters Are Weird: Strangers has been attracting attention on the internet because of its unique, slick, often disturbing creature designs.
- Starfish Aliens: The strangers don't even follow the laws of physics, much less of earthly nature.
- Theme Naming: You're going to see a lot of monsters named '-droni'.
- Wordof God states that there's a pattern to the suffixes: they're mostly chosen based on sound, but as the numbers get higher, there's more "derivative" ones like -dretzi and -croni and strange ones like -lo and -ro. Hale and bule are two of the four seeming exceptions; their full names are hale ladroni and bule ladroni. The other two, es and lume, have entirely "dropped suffixes", so instead of being hokoko-droni or chevra-drole, they're just es and lume.
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.