Web Video: Sonic The Other Movie
Robotnik: This, my blue adversary, is known as the Layer of Darkness. I lived there peacefully in a utopian city called Scrap Brain Zone, until my brother, Metal Robotnik—
Tails: I thought Metal Robotnik was just a parade float.
Robotnik:Sonic the Other Movie
He can be two things!
is a Gag Dub
and Affectionate Parody
of Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie
created by Reputable Dubbing Pictures (released under the banner of Sonic Paradox, the team behind Sonic Shorts
, and sharing some of their voice actors).
Narcissistic hero Sonic the Hedgehog
and his incredibly bitter sidekick Tails the Fox
learn from the surprisingly friendly Dr. Robotnik
of an impending nuclear disaster in the long-abandoned Scrap Brain Zone. There's also the borderline-insane Old Man Owl
, who plans to have a party at Sonic's place while he's away, the appallingly self-absorbed Former President
and his similarly narcissistic daughter Sara
The series can be found here
This Abridged Series doesn't have a cellphone, and provides examples of:
- Adaptation Distillation: Averted, unusually so for an Abridged Series.
- Affably Evil: Robotnik, who seems nicer than either of our heroes and has some actual chemistry with Sonic and Sara.
- Affectionate Parody: Obviously.
- Beleaguered Assistant: In stark contrast to his official persona, Tails is portrayed as incredibly bitter over being relegated to the position of sidekick under Sonic.
- Big "Shut Up!": From Sonic, who up to that point been very quiet and reserved.
Sonic: Shut your freaking mouth, Tails!
- Black Comedy: Metal Robotnik's life story.
Robotnik: Rob has major self esteem issues and mother was very open about how much she hated him. Itís a miracle he never drank himself to death in a gutter, to be honest.
- Blatant Lies: Old Man Owl totally promises he won't invite all his old army buddies over for the swellest, raddest party of all time while you're away. Oh my, no.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Sonic is fully capable of going all action hero to save the day, but only if ignoring the problem doesn't work.
Sonic: (after hearing Tails scream in the distance) Not my problem.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Robotnik and Sara play Sonic the Hedgehog 2 together.
- Butt Monkey: Tails, due to being less air-headed than the rest of the cast.
- Call to Adventure: What Robotnik does to Sonic and Tails. Sonic is less than pleased about this.
- Catch Phrase: Tails' repeated cries of "Ow, my face!"
- Cat Girl: Sara. For some reason.
- Celebrity Endorsement: Inverted for laughs, the first episode opening with Steve Blum telling us to watch something else.
- Character Exaggeration: Sonic is substantially more of a Jerk Ass than in any official portrayals, and Old Man Owl has all but lost his mind.
- Cliff Hanger: Played for laughs, when the end credits cut Sonic off in the middle of his speech about how exciting their adventure will be.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Owl, Up to Eleven.
Old Man Owl: Oh, hello Tails. Nice to see you. You're looking swell with that new haircut. Anyway, I have some important business with Sonic. Have you seen him?
Tails: Quiet! Can't you see your rocket's on fire?!
Old Man Owl: Waaaaah! I thought the AC was broken!
- Crapsack World: Dr. Robotnik, a known super-villain, was elected president of the free world.
- Cutaway Gag: Big's Bass Bonanza.
- Deadpan Snarker: Tails. Overlaps with Only Sane Man (see below).
- The Ditz: Sonic, Sara and especially Old Man Owl.
- Double Entendre: Tails tells Sonic how awesome his rocket-board is using increasingly sexual terminology.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: When Old Man Owl's plane explodes, presumably killing everyone, causes the credits start rolling. Subverted when we almost immediately cut back to the three jumping clear of the explosion, unhurt.
- Dull Surprise: Sonic loses interest in the bizarre geography of the Layer of Darkness incredibly quickly.
- Editing Works: A given, this being an Abridged Series.
- The End of the World as We Know It: The results of the potential nuclear meltdown are less than promising.
- Fighter Launching Sequence: The Tornado, with all the surrounding machinery emitting ridiculously over-the-top anime sound effects.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Tails, although the time constraints prevent him from using these skills on Robotnik's wrist-GPS.
- Genre Savvy: Sonic. Ironically more so than Tails.
- Good Is Not Nice: Neither of our lead characters is particularly nice or friendly to anyone.
- Going Critical: Preventing this from happening is the current plot thread.
- Go Karting with Bowser: Robotnik quickly devolves into playing a multiplayer tournament of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with his hostages once he gets bored.
- Grumpy Old Man: Old Man Owl has moments of this during his nonsensical jabbering.
Owl: ...and the empty fuel gauge not obvious, and gas prices going up, and the kids with their rocket boards and those dastardly Walkmen!
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Sonic, in droves.
Sonic: (climbing out the wreckage of a plane crash) Tails, you know I canít get dust in my contacts!
Tails: Yes, I'm fine, thanks for asking.
- The Former President is even worse, not even once thinking of anyone's safety besides his own.
- Although Sara is exactly as self-absorbed, so maybe It Runs in the Family.
- Hilarious Outtakes: The gag reel, full of flubs and abusive ad-libs.
Sonic: I was a young boy, acne, y'know how it is. And, uh, pretty much everything that moved, as long as it was relatively at the same speed of sound mind you, but anything that moved, I was just smashin' left and right. I have like twenty different girlfriends. No, you can't meet any of them.
- Idiot Hero: Sonic has shades of this.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Robotnik interrupts his Info Dump for one.
The reactor is currently outputting far more power than any of the transformers can handle, dare I say producing enough energy to explode Optimus Primeís head. (pauses to chuckle heartily) Seriously though
, this is a dire situation and weíre all going to die.
- Info Dump: Robotnik's exposition speech.
- Jerk Ass: Pretty much the whole cast.
- Lampshade Hanging: Sonic indirectly taunts the audience at the end of the first episode.
Sonic: Boy Tails, this adventure sounds so exciting Iíd kill myself if there was any kind of delay— [cue credits]
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Silentlyvocal plays Sonic, Old Man Owl and various extras while Time8th plays Robotnik, the Old President and various other extras.
- Noodle Incident: Robotnik apparently once took a false Heel-Face Turn and built a chocolate factory.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Referenced by Sonic, who claims Owl's driving is bad enough to make him this.
- Only Sane Man: Tails, getting him mocked by the rest of the cast.
Tails: Uh, excuse me, but does nobody else care that he (Robotnik) tried to kill us not five minutes ago?
Robotnik and Sonic: Shut up, Tails.
- Original Flavor: The plot of the source material is kept largely intact, with much of the humor coming from the now incredibly dysfunctional characters' attempts to comply with it.
- The President's Daughter: Sara, but of the former President, technically.
- President Evil: Dr. Robotnik, who must have one hell of a campaign manager.
- Product Placement: Played for laughs with Tails' rocket board, which features a prominent Mountain Dew logo. But it only appears after he mentions it's there.
- Reference Overdosed: See Shout-Out, below.
- Really Gets Around: Old Man Owl claims to have been this in his younger days.
Old Man Owl: ...back in my day I was quite the pilot, and pretty popular with my best friend's wife if you get my drift.
- Shout-Out: Quite a few in the first episode alone. Aside from all the references to various entries in the Sonic franchise littered about, the Little Jack of Skies of Arcadia is featured prominently in one establishing shot, one gag mentions Sonic's support of suffrage for The Mole People, Sonic listens to "Play That Funky Music" and "Oh Yeah" on his radio, and one of Eggman's robots has the voice of Marik from Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series.
- The Stinger: BAN!
- Take That: Quite a few, namely at the voice actors of the original English dub.
- The first gag of the series is one directed at Lainie Fraiser, voice of Tails in the original OVA: Tails' first line, audio and all, is taken wholesale from the source material. He then coughs violently and switches to his actual voice, apologizing and explaining he has a cold.
- Later on, Sonic quotes another line verbatim, although this time it's just an impression rather than the original audio:
Sonic: Forget about it. You created that stupid contraption in the first place, why should I have to go around cleaning up your messes?
- Big's Bass Bonanza is a reference the character's infamously boring gameplay in Sonic Adventure.
- Trope Riffic: To be expected from an Abridged Series.
- Tsundere: Sara.
- Wild Geriatric Party: Old Man Owl plans to throw one of these in Sonic's house with his old army buddies.
- World in the Sky: The Land of the Sky, where our heroes reside.
- Written Sound Effect: "BAN!", which is accompanied vocally, occurs when Robotnik's hologram pops.
Oh, it's a windy and sunny day...