Web Video / Alternate Reality DBZ
Alternate Reality DBZ is the Dragonball Z
version of Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series
, created by a guy named SSJGozar. He refuses to call it DBZ The Abridged Series
because every other parody series calls itself "The Abridged Series" (Just like Team Four Star's series
).. Unlike Yu-Gi-Oh!
and Naruto Abridged
, Gozar separates the story into different situations. However it begins to take a turn like Yu-Gi-Oh!
with doing it like a series. Similar to the other two, it mocks certain aspects of the storyline, the characters and even some lines from the original dub. However, this series is on par with Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series
and Naruto Abridged
There are currently 70 episodes.
This series provides examples of:
- A Day In The Lime Light / Villain Episode: Episode 33 focuses on Vegeta and Nappa, with Goku only a getting a minor appearance in a flashback.
- Abusive Parents: Goku to Gohan (at least mentally). Vegeta is implied to be this.
- Adaptational Badass: Raditz is able to kill both Perfect Cell and Mystic Gohan.
- Vegeta gets this twice in the series.
- The first time is in the Namek retelling where he beats Zarbon the first time, instead of losing first and then beating Zarbon the second time they meet due to the zenkai boost Vegeta got earlier.
- The second time is in the Buu retelling where the Majin power-up simply turns him evil. In the original series it also raised your power along with making you evil and Vegeta took it to catch up to Goku who had gotten stronger than him by that point.
- Adaptational Heroism: Raditz is very different from his canon portrayal and actual survives and defeats Cell and helps Goku make his spirit bomb.
- Paragus is shown to be on the side of the good guys in this version.
- Dabura is portrayed as a good guy in episode 26 and agrees to help the heroes defuse the bombs. Until Goku calls him out for doing women's aerobics after he denied it.
- King Cold is portrayed as a bumbling dad who is actually happy when his son is killed.
- Adapted Out: A lot of things get cut out in this series.
- Android 16 seems to be major example as he doesn't seem to exist at all in ARDBZ, even though he was a major player in his saga.
- This gets referenced by Burter in episode 28.
This episode is pissing me off, so much stuff is getting skipped over, and there are no explanations for why major plot points are happening right this-
- Uub and Pan don't get introduced in the series with Goku deciding not to do their saga due to being pissed off at Vegeta, Uub at least gets a passing mention being called "Dirt Poor Little Mohawk Loser Boy" by Goku.
- Marron, Krillin's daughter, doesn't get introduced either.
- Pan and Marron not appearing makes even less sense when you realize that Bra, Vegeta and Bulma's daughter, appears despite being born after both of them.
- All the movies after Bojack weren't adapted, Broly and Bardock were also never adapted despite both coming before Bojack.
- However it could be argued that episode 6, 9, and 14 were meant to be the adaptations of Wrath of The Dragon, Broly, and Bardock respectively leaving only Broly Second Coming, Bio-Broly, and Fusion Reborn as the only movies that weren't adapted.
- Adaptational Sexuality: Cell is gay in this version, and Goku is bi.
- Adaptational Villainy: Goku doesn't spare Frieza in this version and he isn't the one to convince Krillin to spare Vegeta.
- Affably Evil: A lot of the villains in the series are this.
- Alternate Universe: Not only is the name of the series "Alternate Reality," the universe is sometimes even called "Alternate Reality"
- i.e. "Will Gohan be able to save Alternate Reality from Cell?" Raditz does so instead.
- Ascended Extra: Despite dying after the second episode, Raditz shows up repeatedly. Gozar's making up for the lack of screentime this villain gets (especially compared to other villains.)
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Tarble was this to Vegeta
- Are We There Yet?: In Episode 38, Piccolo keeps asking Goku this on their way to the location where the androids will appear. Once Goku threatens to kill him if he asks one more time, he rephrases the question.
Piccolo: Are we...not NOT there yet?
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
Vegeta: Here's why you should hate Mystic Gohan; He's a Nazi, he killed Jesus, he opened Pandora's Box, he told Steve Bartman to go after that ball.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Between Gozar and Team Four Star; a much milder and more platonic version, though. Gozar has taken his fair share of potshots at Team Four Star's series, even writing their names in the shinigami's notebook at one point forgetting that he'd need their ACTUAL names for it to work. However, he has admitted in his "Gozar Speaks" segments that he's good friends with them, and members of Team Four Star themselves have not only cameoed in ADBZ, but openly stated in their first FAQ that they like his work and would be delighted to have Gozar in one of their episodes.
- Berserk Button: For Vegeta, anything involving steroids or "Mystic"
- Episode 52 is all about the defense of penguins.
- Vegeta goes beserk when Goku tells him he does not like sprinkles on his ice cream. Twice.
- Piccolo claims that Goku went to far when he insulted Titanic.
- Mispronounce Manga as "main-guh," and Gohan will turn Super Saiyan 2. Add the widescreen feature to the DBZ DVDs, and he will destroy you.
- Big Damn Heroes: Vegeta.
- Big "NO!": Vegeta, when he finds out Bulma's pregnant.
- Big "SHUT UP!": Everyone gives one to Mystic Gohan in Episode 15
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: Happens in episode 33
Vegeta: Someone killed The Jonas Brothers and Miley Cy-.
Arlian: No, no, I was going to say I have this neat gold thing.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Gozar has shown up many times for a few non sequitur. At one point, the actual voice actor for Adult Gohan shows up, defending his character.
- Breakout Character: Vegeta.
- Brick Joke: Piccolo's love for CÚline Dion in Episode 2. At the beginning of the episode, he is seen singing it, while at the end of the episode, Piccolo just wanted to listen to it one last time before he died, thus accidentally weakening Cell. Vegeta gets very pissed about it though.
- Goku's hatred for sprinkles.
- Broken Pedestal: Vegeta to Freddie Mercury when he finds out that Freddie is gay.
- The Brute: Nappa: "Now to further stereotype the big dumbass who likes to attack the weak."
- Bumbling Dad: Frieza's dad King Cold.
King Cold: ?Hello! Hello! Hi Frieza's friends! I am Mr. Cold, Frieza's daddy. I'm so happy to finally get to meet Frieza's friends. Tell me, would you like me to make some pizza bagel bites?"
- Butt-Monkey "Mystic" Gohan
- Gohan in general never gets to do anything heroic, even when he canonically should.
- Krillin is not treated as bad as he is on Dragon Ball Z Abridged, but Vegeta keeps on calling him Dorky.
- Piccolo is one to Kid Trunks and Gotenks.
- Similar to Krillin, Yamcha also gets a fair amount of abuse but it isn't as bad as his DBZ Abridged counterpart.
- Mr. Popo gets called Mr. Poopoo by the other characters on a frequent basis.
- Catch-Phrase: "I'm Mystic!"
- Phrase-Catcher" "Shut up!"
- Also, there's Raditz' "BWAHAHAH! I'M RADITZ!" Krillin tried to adopt a similar Catch-Phrase but failed.
- Cereal-Induced Superpowers: Piccolo: "I'm gonna kick your (Frieza's) ass because I eat the true breakfast of champions ... Piccol-O's! The official breakfast of Celine Dion fans!"
- *Crack!* "Oh, My Back!": Happens to Roshi in episode 1.
- Christmas Episode: Episodes 10, 50, 60, and 69
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Gohan, who can never win a fight. But, if you mispronounce manga or add a widescreen feature on the Dragon Ball Z DVDs, he can kick anyone's ass.
- Death by Adaptation: Maron, Krillin's girlfriend, gets killed by Vegeta in episode 5
- Gohan dies to Goku's Spirit in Episode 70, in canon he bounced it back at Vegeta
- Demoted to Extra: Every character that isn't Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta, Krillin, Gohan, and the main villain of the saga usually get hit with this in saga retellings.
- A good example being the Android Saga, Anrdoid 18 barely has any lines in the saga, Present Android 17 doesn't get any, his future counterpart has one. This gets worse when you realize Androids 19 and 20 both get more lines than them in the one episode they appear in.
- Deus ex Machina: Vegeta in the movies.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Vegeta to...well, anyone, really.
Vegeta: Do you remember five years ago on Easter Day?
Cui: No, why?
- Goku seemingly kills Frieza because he mentioned sprinkles.
- Everyone Went to School Together: In episode 53 it is revealed that Goku, Broly, Vegeta, Tarble, Nappa, and Raditz all went to Saiyan kindergarten together.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: The moral of episode 52 is that penguins are awesome.
- Fate Worse Than Death: In episode 18: "AT LEAST I'M NOT A MYSTIC LOSER!"
- In episode 54 The 4Kids dub of One Piece is also considered something worse than death as well.
- Master Roshi Yaoi is slightly worse.
- For Cooler, it's his henchman Doore.
- Vegeta and Piccolo would rather let the universe be destroyed than let Gohan save the day.
- Foe Romance Subtext: Goku and Cell
- Flanderization: Gohan went from being hated by only Vegeta for calling himself "Mystic" to being hated by just about everyone (Except for Videl and maybe Piccolo) for the same reason.
- Also, the "Parenting with Vegeta" skits turned from Vegeta giving weird and bad parenting advices to Vegeta giving advices on how to be Abusive Parents.
- Flowery Insults:
Jeice: YOU SMELL LIKE APPLE TURNOVERS!
- Fourth-Wall Mail Slot: Episode 4 features Master Roshi answering viewer questions.
- The Professor Bardock Segment in the Cooler retelling could also count.
- Gilligan Cut: While not in the strictest definition, earlier it is stated that Piccolo is a huge fan of Celine Dion. In episode 14, Bardock states that he sees a vision of his son defeating Vegeta, The king responds with "That is about as likely as a badass Namekian warrior being a huge Celine Dion fan."
- Something similar happens with Krillin. He is married with Android 18, but in Episode 47, he says "How can a human fall in love with a machine? You'd have to be the most desperate dorky loser in the universe."
- Played straight in Episode 22 when Vegeta refuses a bet that if the Giants beat the Patriots at the Superbowl, Gohan wouldn't be able to call himself "Mystic" anymore, not believing the then-undefeated Patriots could lose. Cut to the Giants beating the Patriots, much to his shock and rage.
- Again played straight in Episode 23 with Krillin claiming that Nappa and Vegeta couldn't kill any of the Z-Fighters even if they tried. Cue montage of the Z-fighters getting killed.
- Halloween Episode: Episode 46
- Hit Me, Dammit!: Goku's power scares Ginyu. Goku says for him to win, all he has to do is to watch a 4Kids Episode of One Piece. Ginyu refuses and Goku tells him to keep his cool. He then says "Okay, then all you gotta do is the Body Change!". Captain Ginyu proceeds to take out Goku.
- Hypocritical Humor: In the first Christmas special, Vegeta scolds Piccolo for getting the lyrics to Deck The Halls wrong. A minute later, he's shown altering the lyrics to Silver Bells wrong to make it sound vulgar.
- There are only two things Frieza hates in this world, racists and sayains.
- Insistent Terminology:
Android Jinzoningen. Gohan flips out when Cell mispronounces manga.
- Ironic Echo: Not the strictest definition but in episode 12 Cell accuses Goku and Vegeta of tricking him despite them telling him their plan. Later Vegeta accuses of Cell tricking him despite Cell telling him his plan.
- It Was His Sled: At the end of Episode 31, after Goku seemingly dies from Namek's explosion ...
Narrator: "... you know that Goku makes a dramatic escape. You know the story, I'm not gonna tell it to you."
- Jerk Ass: Vegeta
- Goku can also be one too at times
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Happens to both Android 17 and 18 in Trunks' timeline, as well as one of Garlic Jr's minions.
- Larynx Dissonance: Every female in the series, except Chichi.
- Narration Echo: In episode 26
Narrator: "... when suddenly, a package with a note on it just arrived."
Goku: "Hey look, a package with a note on it just arrived."
- Negative Continuity: Almost everyone except for Nappa is always better by the next episode. That includes Cell, Frieza, Bardock, Vegeta, and even Raditz. Gozar even admits this on his site.
- No Ending: The episode where Goku is about to take out Broly for the Sopranos ending.
- No Fourth Wall: All the characters acknowledge that they exist in a Gag Dub / Fan Fiction series and even referenced Gozar many times.
- Overly Long Gag: "ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT KRILLIN!?"
- Bardock: "FRIEZA!!!" What? "FRIEZA!!!" WHAT!? "FRIEZA!!!" WHAT!?
(After a few moments)
Cooler: YOU KNOW WHAT, I'M FREAKING FRIEZA!!!
Goku: No you're not! You must be his brother!
- Psychopathic Manchild: Dodoria
- Rage Against the Author: Lots of characters in the series like to make fun of Gozar, but Vegeta probably takes the cake.
- Running Gag: Piccolo's love for Celine Dion, Frieza's bad sense of time, Goku being stuck in a lifeless marriage with Chi-Chi, and Vegeta blowing up while holding
Krillin's Dorky's iPod.
- Shout-Out: A lot of them.
- Second Episode Introduction: Vegeta did not appear until episode 2, making episode 1 the only episode he wasn't in
- Serious Business: Korin and Raditz's staring contest.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: A couple of times, most notably when Garlic Jr. is knocked into the Dead Zone by Vegeta, where the music is used as a replacement for the lack of a finishing line for Vegeta.
- Space Pirate: Bojack: "Arrgh, I be Bojack. The Pirate!"
- Spin-Off: According to Goku in Episode 19 had ARDBZ had been cancelled Gozar was going to make a spin-off, about Bardock living with the Waltons.
- Spoof Aesop: "And now it's time for parenting with Vegeta!"
- Stylistic Suck: Episode 19's "How Vegeta Saved Alternate Reality Dragon Ball Z."
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Bardock is certain he can defeat Frieza despite losing to Dodoria.
- Switching To GEICO: Vegeta at the end of Episode 8, after Piccolo reminds him he wasn't featured prominently in the episode.
Vegeta: I'm going to reveal something so amazingly awesome, it's going to blow the viewers' minds. And that something is: I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to GEICO!
- Take That!: In episode 24, Gozar mocks the Naruto series.
- In Episode 58, Mr. Popo says "Pecking Order". Krillin then tells him to shut up. However, this most probably came out as a joke.
- The Garlic Jr. saga gets a few itself as it wasn't adapted, which gets referenced by the narrator in episode 38, and Maron, a character introduced in that saga, gets killed the same episode she is introduced.
- Dragon Ball GT also gets a fair amount of jokes at its expense too.
- In episode 46, Vegeta refers to Sarah Palin as a babbling retarded doofus.
- Dragon Ball Evolution gets mocked a fair amount in the series.
- Tempting Fate: Happens quite frequently in the series.
- Thanksgiving Episode: Episode 68
- Those Wacky Nazis: Adolf Hitler is apparently Vegeta's best friend. He also hates Mystic Gohan.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: The only person who liked Gohan (especially Mystic) was Piccolo in the early episodes. However, Piccolo later jumped on the Gohan-hate Bandwaggon. This was lampshaded at the end of the Majin Buu Saga retelling when Trunks reminds him of his meltdown when Gohan went on his first date. After that, Piccolo seems to be Gohan's friend again.
- Goku actually puts his faith in Gohan to defeat Cell during the Android retelling, this ends up being subverted as Goku goes back to hating Gohan after Gohan gets him killed and Gohan fails at killing Cell.
- Too Cool to Live: "Future" Gohan, ironically. Lampshaded in a title opening:
Narrator: "Why does the one cool Gohan have to die? I BLAME MYSTIC GOHAN!!!"
- Too Dumb to Live: "Wheeee! Wheeee! La la la la la la! Wheeee! I'm Frieza! Wheeeee!"
- Training from Hell:
Piccolo:"Ok, let me show my form of training. It's called THROW YOUR STUDENT AT A MOUNTAIN AND SEE IF HE LIVES!"
- Unexplained Recovery: Raditz, who got killed in Episode 1 but returns as a recurring character in later episodes, notable where he saves the world from Cell and hosts a Pineapple Head segment.
- Mr. Popo mentions this at the beginning of episode 41 after Piccolo gets beaten by Cell at the end of episode 40.
Mr. Popo: "Piccolo. When did you get back and healed?"
Piccolo: "Umm... You know... Before..."
- The Unfavorite: Goku doesn't hide his disdain for Gohan, even saying outright that he's a loser. Chi-Chi calls him out on it, before coming to the same opinion.
- Unusual Euphemism: "HOLY HFIL" and "Son of a Scientist"
- Vocal Evolution: Bardock's voice in episode 5 was deeper before becoming more high pitched in episode 14.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Vegeta calls out Goku in episode 26 for calling Dabura out on doing women aerobics after he denied it, thus screwing them out of getting the bombs defused.
- Vegeta once again calls Goku out in episode 61 for letting the earth get blown up.
Vegeta:"Kakarot you idiot, how could you, how could you let my son get killed, how are we going to defeat Buu, why does asparagus make your pee smell funny?"
- Goku calls out Piccolo in episode 1 for killing him along with Raditz
Goku:"Wait what's going on- (Beam hits him) Piccolo, what the hell man!"
- With Friends Like These...: In episode 36 when Turles says Goku needs a super hero name, Goku's friends all come up with very unflattering names.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: In Episode 43 Goku gives Gohan a chance to become a hero by defeating Cell. However in Episode 45 Gohan fails and Raditz, in a Big Damn Heroes moment, succeeds instead.
- In episode 56 when Gohan finally thinks he's had his day, calling Vegeta out for becoming Majin which in canon increases your power level and makes you evil thus contradicting everything Vegeta has been going on about for the past 55 episodes, Vegeta reveals that Gozar switched it too making you become evil.