"Why do you descend?"The Drop
is a sequel to The Reconstruction
, made by Space Lizard of Tilde-One Games
, with character art by Daigerus.
Five years after the events of The Reconstruction
, society has begun to rebuild itself. But recently, something bizarre has happened: the Drop collapsed in upon itself, leaving a gaping, seemingly-bottomless hole in the ocean. Curious adventurers from around the world gather to see the depths for themselves. Early reports tell of a strong magical pervasion, granting even those unskilled in elemental arts the ability to wield magic, and of segments of land and even living creatures from other parts of the world suddenly appearing within.
Structurally, the game is a Roguelike
, with the Body/Mind/Soul system
and Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors
from The Reconstruction
. There is a strong focus on environmental manipulation, as well — various environmental effects such as plants and water are spread throughout the floors, and can be manipulated for your benefit by using specific spells. Similarly, many enemies have special reactions towards spells with certain properties.
There are nine playable characters (as well as six Secret Characters
unlocked by beating the game with the others), each with their own subplot and reasons for delving the Drop. Four are returning characters from The Reconstruction
, four are newcomers.
- Tehgonan Clapian, now well into his adolescence, is tired of being dismissed as a child. He adventures into the Drop simply so he can claim to be the first to have braved the depths — "To prove them all wrong."
- Moke has been recruited into the fold by the Greater Shra, and it is at their request that he ventures into the Drop, despite his own fears. The Greater Shra claim that the power to save the world rests beneath the caverns, and he seeks to find it.
- Halia Falitza once had mind-reading powers, which is what allowed her to pull off her act so well. However, she now feels those powers fading. Hearing news of the Drop's magical properties, she descends in the hopes of re-discovering her powers.
- Lani Derra, now an officer of Nal, quests for treasure — not for herself, but for the poor and starving in Nal.
- Dehl, with Xopi Sikohlon in tow, journeys to the Drop in the hopes that the wish-granting dragon can restore Xopi's sight.
- Fena Asarik, the new commanding officer of the Nalian forces, investigates the Drop for the sake of her city — hearing rumors of a fearsome beast at the very bottom, she wishes to make sure it does not bring harm to her people, as they are already teetering on the brink from the previous catastrophe.
- Sypak is a wildborn shra. When the Drop formed, he was one of the people snatched from the outside world and sucked into its depths. He clawed his way out, only to find that he was miles away from his home in the Shra Lowlands. He descends again, hoping to find a way back.
- Valitazzo is a Fortian fih'jik. A cold, bitter man whose life has been a string of misfortune, he has an eye only for power and destruction. He descends in the hopes of finding more power, and using it to find vengeance on those who have wronged him.
- Arko, by contrast, is a deeply religious fih'jik who sees the appearance of the Drop as a sign of the end times. He chases after the rumors of a beast beneath the depths, hoping to cleanse its evil from the world.
The game can be downloaded here.
It also has a trailer.Has a wiki here.