My contribution to Christmas 2014
My contribution to Christmas 2013Click to See
Just some 20-something Englishperson who was born in Leicestershire and grew up in various parts of the Midlands and Wales. Hobbies include: Gaming (mainly of the computer and video variety, occasionally D&D), Drawing (mainly via the Loomis method), Computers (in general), Cosplay and Baking.
Photos of various baked goods can be found on my DeviantArt account
If you want to see the namespace that saves me (and contains me-related tropes and vandalism), here's my Tropeeeeeer Waaaaaaaalllll~!
open/close all folders
Articles launched by Bisected (If you make an edit on these, I'll probably be scrutinising it)
- All Psychology Is Freudian - The idea that only Freudian psychology appears in media.
- Archaeological Arms Race - Fighting a war while racing to dig your weapons out of the wreckage.
- Avenging the Villain - A loved one of the villain appears to take on the heroes after the villain's defeat.
- Author Catchphrase - A phrase, character type, etc that an author keeps using throughout their work.
- Bodyguarding a Badass - Someone is assigned to protect a much more powerful character.
- Book Snap - Slamming a book shut because you're angry.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Parody - A Whole Plot Reference to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (either one of the films or Roald Dahl's book)
- Class Clown - That one kid who always has to be the centre of attention in school.
- Clone by Conversion - Creating a copy of someone by transforming somebody else into them.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder - They might be funny to you, but someone's got to keep an eye on them.
- Constrained Writing - When a writer (or similar creative mind) sets themselves some sort of limit to follow.
- Contagious Cassandra Truth - Someone finally convinces someone else of their Cassandra Truth...and nobody believes them either.
- Cool Teacher - A teacher...who is cool.
- Cooperation Gambit - Making a fair, short term deal with your enemy.
- Coup de Grâce Cutscene - When a video game boss' defeat is followed by a cutscene of the Player Character giving the finishing blow.
- Death of Personality - A person is killed by losing what makes them "them", rather than physically dying.
- Delayed Narrator Introduction - The narrator is introduced as a character part way through and points themselves out.
- UsefulNotes.Digital Distribution - A guide to electronic media being sold via downloads.
- Disability Immunity - Not being harmed by something (as opposed to being superhuman) because of a disability.
- Disguised Hostage Gambit - Disguising someone you've taken hostage to trick their own allies into attacking them.
- Dying Declaration of Love - Renamed it from Going Down with the Ship to free up the title for another trope.*
- Enhanced Archaic Weapon - Supertrope for chainswords, lightsabres, rocket powered hammers, etc
- Equipment-Based Progression - Getting more powerful in a video game by getting better weapons rather than Experience Points.
- Equipment Upgrade - Modify your gear to make it better.
- Evil Luddite - A Well-Intentioned Extremist who's decided technology (and everyone who uses it) is evil.
- Exploited Immunity - Expose yourself and a (not) friend to something which will harm them, but not you!
- Expose the Villain, Get His Job - Your reward for defeating the villain is the job he held.Launched by...
- Exposition Diagram - The audience (and possibly the characters) have things explained to them with a handy diagram.
- Game Over note - Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- Going Down with the Ship * - A Captain must go down with his ship as it sinks (or at least be the last one off).
- UsefulNotes.Graphical Perspective - How to draw a 3D image on a 2D medium.
- Hand-Hiding Sleeves - Long sleeves. Basically a YKTTW that I and a couple of other tropers salavaged, rather than one I started myself.
- Hollywood Game Design - The ways in which the process of making games is portrayed.
- I Don't Know Mortal Kombat - Someone who's good at something failing miserably at a simulation of it.
- Improbable Use of a Weapon - Using an actual weapon wrongly (not to be confused with Improbable Weapon User).
- Lady Legionnaire Wear - Segmented skirts show that a female character means business.
- Large Ham Title - A title someone frequently has appended to their name.
- Living Weapon - A weapon...that is alive. Eventually split into;
- Lower-Class Lout - The less well off counterpart to Upper-Class Twit
- "Marathon Man" Now renamed Plot-Powered Stamina - Sleep is for the
- Manual Leader, AI Party - When the player in a game controls one character and has a Player Party of AI controlled allies.
- Mugging the Monster (My personal favorite) - When a low level crook tries to rob someone more powerful than they expected.
- Multiple Reference Pun - A pun which references several different things at once.
- Mutual Disadvantage - When two sides in a fight or battle can't get an advantage over each other, meaning its either drawn out or could go either way.
- Mysterious Backer - Does the job of a Big Good without any of the benevolence.
- Natural Weapon - Weapons which the user is born with.
- New Ability Addiction - You've got it and thus you are going to use it, dammit!
- The Nicknamer - A character who enjoys handing out nicknames.
- No Scope - Killing someone with a long range weapon (typically a Sniper Rifle) without using the attached scope.
- Not Rare Over There - You find someone who has what you've been searching for...and they're amazed you want something so trivial.
- Obsolete Mentor - A mentor of a character who hasn't kept up with the times.
- Online Alias - Usernames as they appear in fiction.
- Opposed Mentors - The hero has two mentors...and they both have very different plans for them.
- Our Robots are Non-standard note - The ways in which robots vary from work to work.
- Passive Rescue - Saving someone from captivity by giving them the means to escape rather than just breaking them out.
- Phlebotinum Muncher - A creature which needs to eat whatever substance drives the plot to survive.
- Player Data Sharing - Exchanging user generated content between single player video game campaigns.
- Police Brutality Gambit - Pretending the cops beat you up to force them to let you go.
- Randomly Generated Loot - Loot in games has random stats and effects.
- Recruited From The Gutter - Rescuing someone from a crappy life by recruiting them to your cause or organisation.
- Restrained Revenge - "Forgiving" someone by taking a token lesser revenge rather than just letting them off the hook.
- Retro Upgrade - A new advancement gives obsolete technology a new lease of life.
- Reviving Enemy - An enemy in a video game which can't be defeated permanently (at least without exploiting some sort of weakness).
- Roaming Enemy - An enemy in a video game which in some way travels the in-game world.
- Scary Flashlight Face - Chin + Torch -[Upwards]-> TERROR!
- Sealed Cast in a Multipack - When the heroes and/or villains are all sealed away seperatly and have to be recovered.
- Series Mascot - A mascot of a given series of games, films etc or a company which produces them.
- Seriously Scruffy - When someone's too busy to groom themselves.
- Standard RPG Items - The items you get in every RPG worth its salt.
- Starter Equipment - The equipment you begin the game with.
- Sticky Fingers (rewrite, with The Kleptomaniac added as an alt title) - Someone who can't help but steal things.
- The Team Benefactor - The member of the team who picks up the cheque.
- Time-Delayed Death - When someone is killed by an earlier injury.
- Translate the Loanwords Too - A translater fails to recognise a word isn't like the others....
- The TV Tropes Cast List - A list of characters used on trope pages.
- Uniformity Exception - One of a bunch of identical characters gets a hat or something.
- Unintentionally Notorious Crime - A criminal gets away with their crime but draws unwanted attention in the process.
- Unknown Character - Someone who moves the plot along without ever being shown.
- Utility Weapon - A weapon which is used to bypass obsticles as well as kill enemies.
- Weapon Jr. - "Baby" versions of a weapon weilded by a younger version of a character or someone training for the same position.
- We Have Those Too - When someone assumes another culture doesn't have something that they do.
- Weirdness Search and Rescue - Someone who shows up to help a stranded character find their way home.
- You Have to Burn the Web - Burning away spider webs.