A children's picture book written by Eric Carle and first published in 1969. Since then it's been a staple of many childhoods and been translated into over 50 languages.It tells the story of a caterpillar who eats his way through a great deal of food before ultimately becoming a butterfly.A game based on the book called "The Very Hungry Caterpillar's ABCs" has been available on WiiWare since September 2011.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar contains examples of:
- Big Eater: The titular caterpillar eats several times its own size in food over the course of a week.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The book is about... a very hungry caterpillar!
- Extreme Omnivore: The caterpillar eats a ludicrous amount of non plant foods in a short period of time.
- Short Story: The plot and prose is wafer thin and is only a few pages long.
- Shown Their Work: Caterpillars really are big eaters (although they usually only eat one type of plant) before becoming chrysalises.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Incredibly Idealistic. Eric Carle himself said its "a book of hope...a way about growing up, how scary it is, but how you can fly into the world with your talents."