Eric Carle is an American author and illustrator. He is likely best known for his children's book The Very Hungry Caterpillar. During his career he has won numerous rewards such as the Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal.
Tropes common in his works:
- A Dog Named "Dog": Many of his characters simply use their species name as their name.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Lets see The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Very Quiet Cricket, The Grouchy Ladybug, The Very Busy Spider and then some.
- Intellectual Animal: Animals in his stories can often talk to each other.
- Interspecies Friendship: Downplayed. None of the animals in his work seem interested in eating each other; even when they should, and are friendly towards each other.
- Nature Lover: The themes of his stories are usually drawn from his knowledge and love of nature.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Due to his art style many of the animals in his illustrations can be considered this.
- Short Story: Most if not all of his books are for children.