A children's picture book written by Creator/EricCarle and first published in 1969. Since then it's been a staple of many childhoods and been translated into over 50 languages.
It tells the story of a caterpillar who eats his way through a great deal of food before ultimately becoming a butterfly.
A game based on the book called "The Very Hungry Caterpillar's [=ABCs=]" has been available on UsefulNotes/WiiWare since September 2011.
!!''The Very Hungry Caterpillar'' contains examples of:
* BigEater: The titular caterpillar eats several times its own size in food over the course of a week.
* ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin: The book is about... a very hungry caterpillar!
* ExtremeOmnivore: The caterpillar eats a ludicrous amount of non plant foods in a short period of time.
* ShortStory: The plot and prose is wafer thin and is only a few pages long.
* ShownTheirWork: Caterpillars really are big eaters (although they usually only eat one type of plant) before becoming chrysalises.
* SlidingScaleOfIdealismVsCynicism: Incredibly Idealistic. Eric Carle himself said its "a book of hope...a way about growing up, how scary it is, but how you can fly into the world with your talents."