Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 04 Catalina Caper
Film watched: Catalina CaperYMMV examples are here.
This MST3K presentation provides examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: During a host segment set in Deep 13, Dr. Forrester addresses TV's Frank as "Fred". When Frank corrects him, he dismissively replies, "Whatever."
- This appears to have been an actual mistake on the part of Trace Beaulieu that Frank Conniff successfully played off of to save the take.
- Continuity Nod: A character's spasmodic dance moves prompt Tom Servo to shout, "HI-keeba!"
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Crow's, "Hey, he's caught between a rock and a hard-" before Tom cuts him off.
- And, in a Take That at the casting habits of those days, Little Richard's cameo is greeted with, "The only black person to appear in this film!"
- A shot of five bikini-clad beauties surrounding one of the actors prompts the Crow remark, "That must be what they mean by Five Easy Pieces." Both Joel and Tom scold him.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Joel reminiscing about the early 1960s turns into an unhinged rant of how his parents spanked him with a belt in front of company, made him take a bath in the front yard and give him a shopping cart for his birthday.
- Hypocritical Humor: During a musical number, we get a shot of the singing group sitting together, and the Bots start mocking them:Crow: Look at those stupid legs. They're stupid-lookin'. They're not real-lookin' at all.Tom: They look like puppets.Crow: Huh?Tom: (*clears throat nervously*)
- Impossible Hourglass Figure: The cartoon mermaid in the opening sequence.
- Interspecies Romance: Servo seems to have fallen pretty hard for the "Creepy Girl." How hard? Hard enough to sing about it.
- Jerk Ass: Lyle Waggoner and Tommy Kirk, according to Servo's "Creepy Girl" song.
- Notable Original Music: "My Creepy Girl"Servo: "C" is for that feeling of uncertainty for not quite knowing what ethnic group you're from. "R" is for the gifts you give me every time you smile. The first "E" is for—uh, well, I don't really know. But the second "E" is really a grammatical thing 'cause otherwise it would be "Crepy Girl," and where would that leave us? The "P" is definitely not for "platonic." And "Y?" Because I love you!
- Oh God, with the Verbing!: Running Gag whenever Fingers is doing slapstick on-screen.
- Running Gag: Riffing on the overbearing whiteness of the film and its cast.
- Numerous plays on the name "Lakopolous."
- Crow repeatedly attempts to use the line "By this time, my lungs were aching for air," (a Sea Hunt reference), only to be stopped by Joel.
- Shout-Out: "My Creepy Girl" sounds a lot like "Tears on My Pillow."
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 03 Jungle Goddess Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 05 Rocket Attack USA
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 10 Fugitive Alien Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 91 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 07 Daddy O