Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 08 E 17 The Horror Of Party Beach
Film watched: The Horror of Party Beach
The MST3K episode provides examples of:
- All Men Are Perverts: When the monsters attack the girls' slumber party:
Mike: They don't even know what panties are, yet they feel compelled to raid.
Crow: Every male of any species has the biological urge to panty raid.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Servo becomes a Ghitu monk and attempts to achieve transcendence through an Ethereal Choir, at least until Mike disconnects the speakers.
- Brain Bleach: Crow's reaction after the "manly beach dance" host segment, in which Mike's trunks are so small as to be invisible. "Part of me will never be back. Part of me is gone forever."
- Brick Joke: The opening segment has the Ghitu monk bit and then it's dropped. Much later, the monsters are being destroyed and the noises they make sound like an Ethereal Choir.
Crow: Now, they got Ghitu monks.
Servo: Great! (chants)
(Mike stares at him)
- Call Back: Flavia is named for a character in the previously riffed The Thing That Couldn't Die.
- Cast Full of Gay. The beach dancers are a little... well, a lot effeminate.
Crow (as dancer, lisping): I am tho Twila Tharp!
- Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys: One of the bikers wears a beret, so Crow makes him out to be this.
"It made sense to surrender. The Germans were very, very mean."
- Extra! Extra! Read All About It!: Servo goes newsboy for one host segment, selling incredibly up-to-date papers with headlines like "Mike Buys Another Paper From Servo," and "Mike Getting Fed Up With Newspaper Gag."
- Flashback Cut: Brain Guy has one queued up to explain why they're in Rome. Turns out the flashback was to a few seconds ago, and Flavia's still wondering why the guards haven't seized them yet.
- Harsher in Hindsight: The joke about supporting the Taliban's stance on dancing is a little cringe-inducing now.
- The Immodest Orgasm: The crew doesn't fail to notice that Elaine's grunting sounds... like something else.
- Just Smile and Nod:
Crow: (as Eulabelle) Just smile at the stupid white people.
- Look Behind You: "Look, a huge distracting thing!" Partly subverted since Mike doesn't fall for it, but Servo runs away anyway.
- Servo tries again later ("Mike, look behind you! It's a giraffe with the head of Larry Hagman!") and succeeds this time. Hilariously, he even ANNOUNCES that he's going to distract Mike and get away as part of his rapid-fire newspaper headline gag.
- Mighty Whitey: Hank adopts a rather pronounced Southern voice whenever he talks to Eulabelle. Mike and the Bots naturally take it farther.
- Monster Misogyny: With at least twenty-four on-screen female deaths and only three male deaths, Mike and the Bots couldn't help but take notice
"You think a lot of guys who make movies have issues with women?"
- Mr. Fanservice: Mike's "Manly Beach Dance" can be this to certain MSTies.
- Notable Original Music: Sodium!
- Police Are Useless: During a montage of monster attacks and the ongoing investigation:
Crow: We offer this shot of a guy leaving a building as proof of how hard they're working.
- The Roman Empire: Pearl and her cronies are stuck in Italy during the Classical Era as a result of the trip through a wormhole in the Prince of Space episode.
- Sufficiently Advanced Alien: Brain Guy's nigh-omnipotence allows him to try to pass himself and Pearl off as gods. "Behold! From nothing, I produce this... spoon." And then "this... bigger spoon." The locals are only sold when they spot "Apearllo" talking to the "Average-Looking Man God, Golden Spider-Duck, and Squat Crimson Pig."
Servo: (to Mike, chuckling)
She called you a crimson pig!... (beat)
- Mike's more than pleased to be called average-looking, grinning and generally acting like it means he's a Chick Magnet. Hilariously enough, Flavia was played by Mike's real-life wife Bridget Jones.
- Crow, on the other hand, is enraged at being called a "Golden Spider-Duck", even assaulting Cambot and screaming alternative names at Flavia.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: During the beach dance. "Hey, why is that girl tople... oh no, that's a... well, is it?"
- Volleying Insults: Pearl and Flavia get into a nasty match during the final host segment.