Film watched: The Horror of Party Beach
The MST3K episode provides examples of:
- All Men Are Perverts: When the monsters attack the girls' slumber party:Mike Nelson: They don't even know what panties are, yet they feel compelled to raid.
Crow: Every male of any species has the biological urge to panty raid.
- Angst? What Angst?: Crow provides the page's quote:Crow: First, you deny the grief, then PARTY!
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Servo becomes a Ghitu monk and attempts to achieve transcendence through an Ethereal Choir, at least until Mike disconnects the speakers.
- Brain Bleach: Crow's reaction after the "manly beach dance" host segment, in which Mike's trunks are so small as to be invisible.Tom: We'll be right back. (laughs nervously)
Crow: (shakes his head sadly) Part of me will never be back. Part of me is gone forever.
Tom: (pityingly) Aw, honey...
- Brick Joke: The opening segment has the Ghitu monk bit and then it's dropped. Much later, the monsters are being destroyed and the noises they make sound like an Ethereal Choir.Crow: Now, they got Ghitu monks.
Servo: Great! (chants)
(Mike stares at him)
- Call Back: Flavia is named for a character in the previously riffed The Thing That Couldn't Die.
- Cast Full of Gay. The beach dancers are a little... well, a lot effeminate.Crow (as dancer, lisping): I am ssso Twila Tharp!
- Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys: One of the bikers wears a beret, so Crow makes him out to be this."It made sense to surrender. The Germans were very, very mean."
- A Date with Rosie Palms: As The Del-Aires sing:Servo: Never touched a woman / We make the saints cry...
- Ending Fatigue: The crew, late in the film, screams at the movie to finally end.
- Extra! Extra! Read All About It!: Servo goes newsboy for one host segment, selling incredibly up-to-date papers with headlines like "Mike Buys Another Paper From Servo," and "Mike Getting Fed Up With Newspaper Gag." Also invokes The Tape Knew You Would Say That.
- During the riffing:Tom: The birth of a media empire.
Mike: "Rusty" Murdoch.
- During the riffing:
- Flashback Cut: Brain Guy has one queued up to explain why they're in Rome. Turns out the flashback was to a few seconds ago, and Flavia's still wondering why the guards haven't seized them yet.
- The Immodest Orgasm: The crew doesn't fail to notice that Elaine's grunting as she's stumbling toward the car sounds... like something else. Servo starts grunting himself, to the dismay of Mike.Crow: (snicker) Servo! Come on!
Mike: Yeah, okay...
- Just Smile and Nod:Tom: (as Eulabelle) Just smile at the stupid white people.
- Lip Lock: Referenced on one of the characters, who apparently had ADR done to their lines:Crow: "Why am I dubbed?"
- Look Behind You: "Look, a huge distracting thing!" Partly subverted since Mike doesn't fall for it, but Servo runs away anyway.
- Servo tries again later ("Mike, look behind you! It's a giraffe with the head of Larry Hagman!") and succeeds this time. Hilariously, he even ANNOUNCES that he's going to distract Mike and get away as part of his rapid-fire newspaper headline gag.
- Mighty Whitey: Hank adopts a rather pronounced Southern voice whenever he talks to Eulabelle. Mike and the Bots naturally take it farther."Any news on the War Of Northern Aggression, Eulabelle?"
- Monster Misogyny: With at least twenty-four on-screen female deaths and only three male deaths, Mike and the Bots couldn't help but take notice."You think a lot of guys who make movies have issues with women?"
- Mr. Fanservice: Mike's "Manly Beach Dance" can be this to certain MSTies.
- Notable Original Music: Sodium!
- Police Are Useless: During a montage of monster attacks and the ongoing investigation:Crow: We offer this shot of a guy leaving a building as proof of how hard they're working.
- The Roman Empire: Pearl and her cronies are stuck in Italy during the Classical Era as a result of the trip through a wormhole in the Prince of Space episode.
- Sufficiently Advanced Alien: Brain Guy's nigh-omnipotence allows him to try to pass himself and Pearl off as gods. "Behold! From nothing, I produce this... spoon." And then "this... bigger spoon." The locals are only sold when they spot "Apearllo" talking to the "Average-Looking Man God, Golden Spider-Duck, and Squat Crimson Pig."
- Mike's more than pleased to be called average-looking, grinning and generally acting like it means he's a Chick Magnet ("She thinks I'm average-looking!") Hilariously enough, Flavia was played by Mike's real-life wife Bridget Jones.
- Crow, on the other hand, is enraged at being called a "Golden Spider-Duck", even assaulting Cambot and screaming alternative names at Flavia.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: During the beach dance. "Hey, why is that girl tople... oh no, that's a... well, is it?"
- Volleying Insults: Pearl and Flavia get into a nasty match during the final host segment.