Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 08 E 16 Prince Of Space
Film watched: Prince of Space
"The movie was made bearable only by the fact that we ate sushi for lunch. Also, Krankor and company's droopy crotch areas made me have to close my eyes so I missed a good deal of the movie."
- Bridget Jones
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation has examples of:
- All Anime Is Naughty Tentacles, Apparently, the men at the beginning watch ultra-violent porn cartoons. Later, ultra-violent porn comics are mentioned.
- Bizarro Episode, both In-Universe and out: The SOL spends the episode travelling through a Negative Space Wedgie, resulting in such weirdness as Mike being retconned into a
ventriloquist puppet robot, the characters being knocked into separate timeframes while trying to have a conversation, and the Satellite's bridge spontaneously morphing into a "sylvan glen".
- The "sylvan glen" sketch is notable as being the only outdoor shot in the show's entire ten-year run.
- Brain Bleach: Mike and the 'bots don't react well to Japanese penises perfectly outlined in costumes that apparently the actors had to go commando in.
Mike: (disgusted) What gets into some civilizations?!
- Undies were apparently not a huge thing for the Japanese back then, so it's less "had to" and more "why bother?"
- Cliff Hanger: "Welcome... to Roman Times!" "Guards, seize them!" (dramatic sting)
- Continuity Nod: "We are Ken!"
- Ending Fatigue: Mocked: After Phantom orders his minions to shoot at the Prince for the hundredth time...
Crow: Come on, the movie's over. Let's just... let's just get out of here.
- Gretzky Has the Ball: A mild case - the crew responds to the line "It's the Commissioner!" with "Pete Rozelle?" At the time the film was released (1959), the NFL commissioner would've been Rozelle's predecessor, Bert Bell (Rozelle took over in 1960). At the time of the MST3K episode's airing (1997), Rozelle had long since been succeeded as commissioner by Paul Tagliabue (He'd also been dead for a year).
- Just Shoot Him: The aliens plan to kill the scientists near the end of the film, by putting them in capsules one at a time and launching them into space.
Crow: Wouldn't it be cheaper and quicker to just bludgeon them right there?
- It Will Never Catch On:
- Oh, the Humanity!:
"Oh, the inanity!" Crow:
"Oh the Japanity
- The Oner: One of the skits has Mike and the Bots doing one long take with their personal clocks set about three seconds part. That they held it together and kept to the time dilation is a thing of wonder.
- Parrot Exposition: This episode is the Former Trope Namer (Prince Of Space Sir). See right below for how annoying this trope was to Mike and the 'bots.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "Oh, for crying out — EACH! OF! YOU! WILL! ENTER! A! SPACE! CAPSULE!!!"
- Running Gag:
- "We like it very much!"
- Many jokes about Prince, the singer.
- Special Guest: Phantom of Krankor
HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.