Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 05 Rocket Attack USA
Films watched: The Phantom Creeps (Film Serial) Chapter 2 and Rocket Attack USAThis is the first MST3K episode to include a stinger at the end of the episode.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation includes examples of:
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Tom Servo's "haircut", featured in only this episode and Ring of Terror.
- Big Applesauce: Invoked verbatim by Crow, who says the Russians are going to turn the Big Apple into Big Applesauce.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: The blind man walking a few seconds, then saying in monotone "Help me." According to the Episode Guide, Best Brains became so obsessed with that bizarre little moment it became the first Stinger.Crow: ...What?!
- Big Stupid Doo Doo Head:Crow: Go away, you poopie ca-ca headed Russians!
- Broken Aesop:Joel: And then there's the glorious ending where the entire center of New York City explodes - except for the perimeters - and all we learn is that we're supposed to live in the suburbs, not in the city!
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Tom Servo gets a "haircut" resulting in his dome being replaced with a clear cylinder. The new look only lasts for two episodes.
- According to Best Brains, it was to reduce the amount of space taken up by Servo in the theater. They decided they liked "Classic" Servo better. Oddly, even during this episode, Servo is less than pleased with his "haircut", scoffing at Joel's remark he looks like one of the members of Kid 'N' Play.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The crew's encounter with Sari and his "robot helpmates" now seems like a brief crossover with Project Popcorn.
- ....and a precursor to Mike's future role on the show.
- Mythology Gag: Sari is wearing Joel's jumpsuit from the KTMA season.
- Running Gag:
- Doing the eerie One-Woman Wail from Two Thousand One A Space Odyssey whenever a "monolithic" piece of blast barrier at the Soviet missile base is onscreen.
- Trying to place orders at the cafe in Moscow while the floor show is going on.
- Parodying the narrator, especially during long scenes with nothing but Russian dialogue. This culminates in the scene where the Soviet leaders order an attack on New York being narrated as them making Prank Calls.
- Waxing Lyrical: Two examples.
- When the hero is waiting in a ruined building:
- A Soviet officer paces in his office.
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 01 Rocketship XM Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 91 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 06 Time Of The Apes
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 04 Catalina Caper Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 06 Ring Of Terror