Films watched: The Phantom Creeps
) Chapter 2 and Rocket Attack USA
This is the first MST3K
episode to include a stinger
at the end of the episode.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation includes examples of:
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Tom Servo's "haircut", featured in only this episode and Ring of Terror.
- Big Applesauce: Invoked verbatim by Crow, who says the Russians are going to turn the Big Apple into Big Applesauce.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: The blind man walking a few seconds, then saying in monotone "Help me." According to the Episode Guide, Best Brains became so obsessed with that bizarre little moment it became the first Stinger.
- Big Stupid Doo Doo Head:
Crow: Go away, you poopie ca-ca headed Russians!
- Broken Aesop:
Joel: And then there's the glorious ending where the entire center of New York City explodes - except for the perimeters - and all we learn is that we're supposed to live in the suburbs, not in the city!
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Tom Servo gets a "haircut" resulting in his dome being replaced with a clear cylinder. The new look only lasts for two episodes.
- According to Best Brains, it was to reduce the amount of space taken up by Servo in the theater. They decided they liked "Classic" Servo better. Oddly, even during this episode, Servo is less than pleased with his "haircut", scoffing at Joel's remark he looks like one of the members of Kid 'N' Play.
- Running Gag:
- Doing the eerie One-Woman Wail from 2001: A Space Odyssey whenever a "monolithic" piece of blast barrier at the Soviet missile base is onscreen.
- Trying to place orders at the cafe in Moscow while the floor show is going on.
- Parodying the narrator, especially during long scenes with nothing but Russian dialogue. This culminates in the scene where the Soviet leaders order an attack on New York being narrated as them making Prank Calls.
- Waxing Lyrical: Two examples.