Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 06 Time Of The Apes
Film watched: Time of the Apes
Wow, this movie's even stupider than I thought it was.
, after The Reveal
that the deep-freeze chambers warped time by being really cold.
This is one of the nine Sandy Frank films that had been satirized twice on the show: once as an episode of the KTMA season and again in the third season of the nationally broadcast version.
KTMA Host SegmentsSegment 1
- The Mads ask the Crow and Servo where Joel is, but Joel's not here.
- Crow and Servo try to find Joel around the satellite, but Gypsy finds one of Joel's jumpsuit. They conclude that Joel is floating in space naked.
- Servo recounts the facts while Crow wears the jumpsuit. They soon think about some changes around the Satellite but hear punding from outside.
- Joel seemingly appears on the bridge, but turns out to be Cambot playing tricks. Servo tries to show Crow that it wasn't Joel, but get other footage behind them; soon, it gets meta.
- Crow and Servo think about life without Joel, but the two get sentimental. Meanwhile, a figure swings around the Satellite.
The KTMA version has examples of:
- Call Back/Continuity Nod:
- When the first earthquake in the movie occurs, Servo immediately shouts Gamera!
- After the humans freeze, Servo quips that they look like Crow from the episodes where he was frozen to be their Christmas "tree".
Servo: They look like you, Crow.
Crow: Let's not talk about that, okay?
- Companion Cube: Crow predicts that the ship's toaster could become this for Joel if they choose to keep him out of the SOL. Given that Servo refers to said toaster as "Lucille", it seems that "she" was already this to Servo.
- Mind Screw: In one host segment, Cambot makes it look like Joel is back inside the satellite, which successfully fools Crow, but not Servo. When a confused Crow asks Servo about what had happened, Servo reveals that their current scene was also an illusion before it cuts back to...themselves.
- Shout-Out: Like the season three version, there were plenty of references to Planet of the Apes. There was also a notable amount towards The Monkees.
- Something Completely Different: This was the only episode where there was no human present in the theater with the 'bots during the film.
- Stock Footage: Used by Cambot to fool Crow to think Joel returned. Interestingly enough, that shot of Joel is from the first aired episode ever, Invaders From the Deep.
- What's a Henway?:
Gypsy: I found [Joel's jumpsuit] in a pod bay!
Crow: What's a pod bay?
- Who's on First?: When the mads ask the bots for Joel:
The national version has examples of: