Film watched: Time of the Apes
Wow, this movie's even stupider than I thought it was.
, after The Reveal
that the deep-freeze chambers warped time by being really cold.
This is one of the nine Sandy Frank films that had been satirized twice on the show: once as an episode of the KTMA season and again in the third season of the nationally broadcast version.
The KTMA version has examples of:
- Call Back/Continuity Nod:
- When the first earthquake in the movie occurs, Servo immediately shouts "Gamera!"
- After the humans freeze, Servo quips that they look like Crow from the episodes where he was frozen to be their Christmas "tree".
Servo: They look like you, Crow.
Crow: Let's not talk about that, okay?
- Companion Cube: Crow predicts that the ship's toaster could become this for Joel if they choose to keep him out of the SOL. Given that Servo refers to said toaster as "Lucille", it seems that "she" was already this to Servo.
- Mind Screw: In one host segment, Cambot makes it look like Joel is back inside the satellite, which successfully fools Crow, but not Servo. When a confused Crow asks Servo about what had happened, Servo reveals that their current scene was also an illusion before it cuts back to...themselves.
- Shout-Out: Like the season three version, there were plenty of references to Planet of the Apes. There was also a notable amount towards The Monkees.
- Something Completely Different: This was the only episode where there was no human present in the theater with the 'bots during the film.
The national version has examples of:
"Johnny, don't go. It's too dangerous." "I don't care!"