Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 22 The Day The Earth Froze
Films watched: Here Comes the Circus
(short) and The Day the Earth Froze
The short Here Comes the Circus
is about the Clyde Beatty and features legendary clown Emmet Kelly
- It's family photo time on the SOL! Crow and Servo behave badly, Gypsy worries about her hair, and the picture comes out badly.
- Joel presents Snaction (includes wax knuckles, a Pixie Staff, the Five Lady Fingers of Death, the Everlasting Octa-gob-stomper, and ninja throwing cookies), while the Mads show off their Unhappy Meals. Frank wants his money back.
- The SOL crew thinks up new ideas for clown acts. It gets increasingly dark.
- What the heck is a Sampo, anyway?
- The SOL presents "Gypsy Rose Me!", a new one-woman show starring Gypsy.
- Servo and Crow wrap themselves in trash bags and pretend to be scents. Joel reads a letter from a bomb expert in Germany who sends a picture of their very own Crow — a bomb disposal robot. Clayton cuts Frank (who still wants his money) free.
This episode has examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: When Ilmarinen's second boat enters the water, wreaking fiery havoc amongst the trolls.
Tom: Well, there's somethin' you don't see every day, Chauncey.
Joel: What's that, Edgar?
goin' bass fishin'.
- Curse Cut Short: Happens twice during the invention exchange with the Mads
TV's Frank: You took all my money, you son of a - !
Dr. Forrester: Watch it, Frank!
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: During the sampo's construction, a group of trolls are working with huge logs; one of them is straddling it like a cowboy...
Crow: HE'S got delusions of grandeur!
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: A ton of examples in this episode. "Hey, my other log's a Redwood!"
Crow: I'm not a pheasant plucker; I'm a pheasant plucker's son, and I'm only plucking pheasants 'til the pheasant plucker comes.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Emmett Kelly - one of the most famous clowns of all time - is one of the clowns in the circus short. Evidently, he likes to eat.
Joel: See? Emmett changed management soon after this.
- Hypocritical Humor: During the short Here Comes the Circus, Joel criticizes the bots several times for their dark humor during the piece, then falls into the habit himself.
Joel: [During a trapeze act] "Pass the word; Ed's been hitting the bottle today!"
[Tom and Crow audibly gasp]
Tom: Oh, like that's a big improvement over what we've been doing.
Joel: An elephant snaps its tether and kills a coolie!
who's getting dark?...
I like it!
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Tons.
- "I Am" Song: "Gypsy Rose Me"
- Minnesota Nice: References in the "Scandinavian Ladies" sketch during the film. Prepped many MSTies for the film Fargo.
Crow: (Minnesota accent) It was so ding-dang cold the stuff in my nose just freeze up!
- Noodle Implements: Dr. Forrester gets Frank to send them the movie by threatening him with punishment in "the box".
- It's a reference to Cool Hand Luke and a real, now-illegal form of prisoner punishment.
- Notable Original Music: Gypsy's one-woman show, along with her Judy Garland-style monologue
- Running Gag: Crow and Tom will be quick to remind you that Lemminkäinen is one big, fat failure.
- Shaggy Dog Story: Inferred by Crow when Annikki is released
Crow: Hey, that's the wrong sister!
- Shout-Out: The crew makes five references to Monty Python's Flying Circus, with two of them referring to the "It's..." man (unsurprising, given the amount of beards in Finland)
- Many comparisons between Finland and the Wisconsin Dells
Tom: (Minnesota accent) D' Dooks. Ride d' dooks.
- Take That: A massive zing against A Prairie Home Companion as Louhi's troops are played music to death.
- Throw It In: At the end of the "Snack-tion" invention exchange where Crow and Tom are duking it out in the background as ninjas, Tom's head falls off. Again. Since the sketch was pretty much done anyway it was kept in, and it fits in well with its content along with Trace's adlib immediately afterward.
Crow: Uh-oh. I broke him.
- With Lyrics: The lyrics that Joel and bots song at Lemminkäinen and Annikki's wedding.
Failure, failure, total failure
He's a loser, la la la