Film watched: The Sidehackers
The film is particularly notorious for containing a brutally graphic depiction of a rape/murder — a little tidbit Best Brains were unaware of and unprepared for when they elected to feature the movie. So horrified were they, in fact, that they altered the process for screening films; from this point forward, all potential movies would be screened in their entirety before
being elected for inclusion on the show.
The MST3K treatment provide examples of:
- And Now For Something Completely Different: This is the only movie to feature a riff by Cambot. He does an info-crawl (a la ESPN) during one of the race scenes stating how poorly edited and boring it is.
- Call Back: Several in future experiments, such as:
- "That's a #5!"
- "He hit Big Jake!"
- "Chili Peppers burn my gut!" a callback that's used A LOT.
- Never Heard That One Before: Joel and the 'bots see the "prison joke" story's punchline coming a mile away.
- Running Gag: Calling Rommel a Magnificent Bastard, often adding, "I read your book!"
- Special Effect Failure: During the "Sidehackin'" song in segment #1, the cast uses a blue screen to show footage of the movie in the background. Too bad Joel is wearing a teal jumpsuit and Crow is playing a teal guitar; the movie footage repeatedly bleeds into both of them.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Crow gives an offhand comment to explain Rita's absence; this is because the scene in which she was raped and killed had to be cut for obvious reasons.
- With Lyrics: "Nothing lasts forever / only love / pads the film."