Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 01 E 04 Women Of The Prehistoric Planet
Film watched: Women Of The Prehistoric Planet.Although its production number places it as the fourth episode of season 1, it was the last episode to be produced and aired for the season.
- Joel, on a couch, introduces himself and the plot. He shows off Crow's brownies, and refers to him and Servo as his guests for his talk show.
- The Mads their new venture, Clay and Lar's Flesh Barn. Joel, having an off day, presents a roll of toilet paper inside a 2 liter soda bottle.
- Servo tries doing "This Is Your Life" with Joel, but gets interrupted by a stray doomsday device going towards the Satellite. Joel brings device into the bridge, but engages its self destruct sequence.
- Joel tries to disarm the doomsday machine, made by Isaac Asimov. He attempts reading the instructional manual to the device, but it looks like it's from the Engrish edition.
- The doomsday device continues to get dismantled by Joel while Crow and Servo get philosophical on him. The device, having its wires cut, begins its countdown. The three try to stop the device with a password, but that just makes the device work faster; turning the three into Isaac Asimovs. They continue to be Asimovs in the theater.
- Joel, Servo and Crow take off their Asimov forms, and read some letters. Joel reads the letter from the winner of the Avocado boy alternate name contest. He also reads some more; one letter is from a man who found meaning from the show, another is from a father and daughter asking for more information about the MST3K Fan Club. Dr. Erhardt files out the experiment by strumming his guitar to Dr. Forrester.
This episode provides examples of:
- Anachronic Order: Word of God states that licensing issues pushed back the use of the movie to the end of the season; although they kept the original production number, references are made to the episodes filmed in the interim, including a contest from the Robot Holocaust episode.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation/Translation Train Wreck: The instructions to the Doomsday Device.
- Casting Couch:Crewman: Evans, stand by to reverse course, horizontal maneuver.Evans: Yes sir.Joel: That's how he got that job.
- Covers Always Lie: At the end of the movie, Joel wonders why the film is call that, despite having no scenes of the titular women on the planet.
- Doomsday Device: and it will turn you into Isaac Asimov. The Horror!
- Fan Nickname: Servo dubbed one of the Cosmos III crewmen "Johnny Longtorso".
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Mike, in his first appearance on the show, is the voice of the doomsday device
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: Was on DVD, but now out of print due to copyright disputes between the home video distributor and the film owners.
- My Dad Can Beat Up Your Dad: Said by Crow as a riff during the movie.
- Special Effects Failure: In-Universe, when Cosmos III is crash landing, Joel and the Bots say "fakie" on the ship, while "real" on some stock footage.
Linda: It is such a beautiful planet!Joel: Hey, settle down, it's just a painting.
- Cosmos I approaches the planet.
Servo: Oh my god! It's an insert shot of an iguana!Joel: Their technology must be lightyears ahead of ours! Their use of stock footage is amazing!
- The Slurpasaur arrives at the Cosmos I Crew
Servo: Oh my god, how horrible to be killed by a plush toy!
- When one of the character gets killed by a "spider".
- Prop Recycling: The Flesh Barn was later used from season 2- 5.5 as the "Home of the G Burger".
- Real Men Eat Meat: "Clay and Lar's Flesh Barn"
- Running Gag: The origin of "Hi-Keeba!"
- Schizo Tech: Looking inside Cosmos I.Crow: Hey, check out those space age lockers.
- The Scrappy: In-universe, Joel and the Bots regard Bradley from the film.
- What an Idiot: When Bradley said something racist in front of Linda, Joel Facepalms and with the Bots, say "Oops".
- What's a Henway?: The punchline to the comedy routine that gave the world "HIKEEBA!"