Film watched: Gamera Vs Barugon
This is one of the nine Sandy Frank Japanese films originally used for a KTMA episode that was riffed again a few years later on Comedy Central
The Comedy Central version provides examples of:
- Celebrity Resemblance: Joel goes insane and starts listing about a dozen of these. Gamera's resemblance to Karl Malden (especially his nose) is a Running Gag throughout all the Gamera episodes.
- Computer Wars: Discussed in the opening segment by Tom (who prefers Macs) and Crow (who prefers PCs) while Tom tries to work on a file on Crow's computer. Crow pushes Tom's button on the oft-delayed System 7note .
- Joel (who concludes that both interfaces are fine, it's just a matter of personal preference) stirs things up by mentioning the Amiga.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: When the missiles... er... rise from their launchers.
Tom Servo: "Good morning!"
- Incredibly Lame Pun: It becomes a Running Gag while the cast watches helplessly as Barugon eats up the antagonist with his tongue.
Crow: Well, that's it. We're licked.
(Servo chuckles as Joel casually rips off Crow's arm again)
Crow: Sorry, SORRY!
(Joel tosses the arm away)
Servo: That's what you get.
- Motor Mouth: Tom in the first break from the movie provides an advertisement for a Gamera toy set and its disclaimer at a speed John Moschitta would be impressed with. The problem, though, is that poor Tom goes so fast he can't stop himself and is reduced to babbling 'Mommy! Mmmommy!'.
- Technology Marches On: Some of us still love our Commodore Amigas.
- Totally Radical: Forrester calls Frank and his bubble machine the future of Hip Hop.
The KTMA version provides examples of:
- Early-Installment Weirdness: In addition to all of the other weirdness of the KTMA season, this particular episode sees Servo enter the theater on his own power, instead of having Joel carry him.
- It's Pronounced Tro-PAY : Joel consistently mispronounces "Gamera" as "Gameron". You have to wonder how he managed to get that wrong, since the monster is referred to by his correct name throughout the movie and it's spelled properly on the title card.
- Sequel First: This, the second Gamera movie, was the first one to be riffed by Joel n' the bots.