Narm / Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z's "It's over NINE THOUSAND!!!", thanks to Memetic Mutation, has become one of the most (in)famous Narms of all time. While the Ocean Group version of the line is better known, the Funimation version (which is the version Team Four Star chose to parody) is pretty silly itself, although that might have been done on purpose to lightly parody the original version.
- The sheer amount of ridiculous edits and dialogues done in the Ocean dub just to cover up the deaths regardless of logic caused it to turn the dub into a full on So Bad, It's Good comedy because of how ridiculous it is.
- Every time a character threatened to send someone "to another dimension!" It's used so often you can't take anyone seriously. Heck even the kids that are watching thinks that "another dimension" is a slang for death considering that it's so blatantly obvious what happened to them, regardless of how much Ocean dub claims that they aren't killed.
- When Nappa decides to blow up an entire city full of people, he claims that the entire inhabitants have somehow evacuated despite the fact that previously there were a load of baffled crowds watching them. In two seconds? Talk about Outrunning the Fireball.
- This line from Trunks from the English dub of Z is a Narm meme:
"If they set that android free it will be the end of all of us!! NOOOOOOOO!!!
- Many English speaking fans consider Adult!Goku's Japanese voice Narmful, finding it dissonant to hear a big bad martial arts guy (a grandfather in the end) speaking with almost the exact same voice he had as a twelve-year old. (But then, this may have been intentional.)
- Masako Nozawa as Adult!Goku is bad, but not as bad as Masako Nozawa as his father Bardock. A hardened, ruthless Saiyan warrior sounding like... this? That's so unfitting, it's hilarious!
- It gets even more egregious when, in the end, she's the Seiyuu for every male member of the Son family except for Goku's brother Raditz, who has a deep baritone voice. Maybe Raditz isn't related to Goku after all!
- Freeza tries to intimidate Krillin:
Freeza: You cut off my tail, you imbecile, and now I'm going to eat you!!!
- The dub of the Dead Zone movie (one of the infamous European dubs which refers to Piccolo as "Big Green") has this line uttered by Big Bad Garlic Jr. when Kami appears to confront him:
Garlic Jr.: Good lord, it's God!
- From the same version, the Quirky Miniboss Squad are impossible to take seriously. While there's an element of parody with most evil minions in the Dragon Ball franchise, giving one of them a voice that sounds like an evil version of Fozzie Bear doesn't help much.
- Goku's five minute transformation into Super Saiyan 3 is also rather infamous.
- The way Freeza is beaten by Goku on Namek. As Goku is flying off and leaving Frieza cut in half and bleeding to death, Frieza starts screaming "I will make you pay for opposing the MOST POWERFUL BEING IN THE UNIVEEEEEEEEEEERSE!" and shooting a beam of energy at Goku. Goku turns around, screams "YOU FOOOOOL!", and blasts it back. Then Freeza's face and the way he's screaming makes it look like he's having an Immodest Orgasm. Also, Freeza says that he's "the most powerful being in the universe" about five times throughout that scene — the scene in which he is dying...
- Before that, there was the scene in which Freeza sent one of his Chasing Destructo Disks at Goku. The camera spins around and around Freeza while he's laughing.
- "You think I'm stupid enough to fall for such a childish TRICK?!!!!" The way Freeza screams "trick" and the way his eyes bug out are hilarious.
- This line by Captain Ginyu in the original dub as Goku is powering up to what was then considered insane levels.
Ginyu: "One hundred thousand?! Ay-yi-yi! I wasn't counting on this!"
- Also during the Freeza Saga: Vegeta awakens from a much-needed nap and then finds the Dragon Balls missing and the dragon summoned. His reaction to the sight of the monstrous Porunga in the initial dub? To proclaim "Holy Cosmos!" and "That's one whopper of a lizard!"
- Later episodes would give us such gems as "Great galaxies!" and "Son of a Namek!"
- When Gohan is practicing with the Z-Sword, his practice basically includes swinging it wildly over a lake. But then occasionally, he'll stop what he's doing, hold the sword over his head, point to it, and scream, "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
- Kyle Hebert's deep narrator voice can sometimes lead to Narm, like in the episode Gohan Goes To Highschool where he says in his standard, Don Lafontaine-esque tone, "Hurry, Gohan! You'd hate to be late to class..." This is immediately followed by the title card with the standard "guitar riff episode title" theme. Basically, a rockin' guitar riff set to white text saying "Gohan Goes To High School".
- The opening narration for one of the Cell saga episodes, picking up after Cell absorbed almost the entire population of a city. It went something like this:
"Just another ordinary, peaceful morning in a quiet little town, right? WRONG
- The English dub of Kai has Raditz shrieking "NOW DIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!" before trying to kill Gohan. With a scream and hair like that, he could've been lead singer for an 80's hair metal band!
- In GT, Vegeta's sad, sad attempt at growing a mustache. Even his daughter made fun of it.
- And how could anybody forget this gem from the Funimation dub:
Vegeta: *thinking* "That's right, boys: mondo cool."
- An early Funimation dub example when Goku is in Ginyu's body:
- The scene used in Gogeta's introduction toward the end of Movie 12 is different in-between versions, "thanks" to the English dub's Lull Destruction:
- The "Speedy" dub (aka "Malaysian DBZ") in its entirety. To wit, Turles encounters Gohan and tries to turn him to his side:
Turles: Huuuh? Whaaat? I see. So you are the son of Kakarot. You inherited the blood of Saiya-People!
Gohan: Wh-wh-wh-who are you?!
Turles: Huuuh? I am da Saiya-People!
Gohan: Whaaa? The Saiya-People?!
Turles: Yaaaaas! My name is Turass! We can wander selfishly in universe destroy whatever we like... Eat delicious food... And drink delicious likka! There is nothing like this enjoyable life!
- This dub even has its own Engrish version of the infamous "Let that child alone!" line from the "Big Green" dub:
Piccolo: Take you hands off from Gohan!
- Arguably, Piccolo's next line is even worse, ending with a roar that sounds like he tried to record it while gargling water.
Piccolo: I'm not KIDDING!!!! GUAAAAUAUAAAAAAAUGHGHHHH!!!
- Anything Yakon does. Basically, one of the most dangerous species in the galaxy is called dumb by Goku.
- It's just, he gives off a rapey kind of feel...
- At the end of the fight, Yakon tries to kill Goku by eating his energy and turning into a balloon. It fails spectacularly.
- Hey! That's my father's GALLIT Gun!
- "Don't forget, so of your cells compose ME!"
- Especially how Cell fails to keep his footing.
- This... THING from the Greek dub.
- Karaoke Time With Vegeta! Yay!
- Surprise buttsex!
- The ever-famous MAYBE NOOOOOT!
- A lot of the foreign dubs are really, really bad.
- Ocean Dub Pui Pui's voice.
- "It's duh gravetee! Ten times stronger than Urth."
- Ocean Supreme Kai's reaction to Dabura: "DABORAAAAAAAH!"
- You may find it difficult to take Ocean dub Cell seriously once you assume from watching this if he didn't absorb an opera singer in his quest for power.
- He may in fact possess the cells of the Portuguese dub Dodoria whom you swear is probably voiced by an opera singer when you hear him.
- Vegeta shouting "THEN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IS GOING TO DIE!" (Video is a Youtube Poop, but it's the only video containing the scene and you can still feel the Narm pretty well).
- It was during the 'next time' segment but the narrator just wants you to know that KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!
- Goku mocking Piccolo for his fatal energy blast missing Goku's vital organs. Piccolo's thusly-memed response: ALL OF THEM?!
- The History of Trunks has an opening narration that tells of how Earth's greatest warriors were all killed by the Androids:
Piccolo was the first to try...
...and the first to die.
- Real appropriate.
- Next is this little gem:
"Vegeta was next to fall. Then Yamcha and Tien. EVEN KRILLIN WAS DESTROYED BY THE RUTHLESS DUO!
- And of course, let us not forget Raditz's immortal one-liner towards a freshly dismembered Piccolo.
- The scene in which Frieza beats up Vegeta while speaking calmly would have been more dramatic if it didn't have him randomly grabbing a crab and eating it. Watch it here.
- Occasionally the seiyuu's acting will fall flat during some especially dramatic moments:
- Vegeta's Internal Monologue about how much he treated Trunks like crap is interrupted by Trunks throwing up his own blood onto the screen.
- On Episode 130, Vegeta takes a senzu bean from Krillin so he can power up and pursue Dr. Gero. The Brazilian dub features this exchange:
Vegeta: *munch* *munch* ...Those idiots really enjoy wasting time.
Vegeta: *turns super* Very well. You all can go back home and drink coffee milk. And don't interfere with the fight!
Krillin: Ah, you miserable!... Nobody tells us to drink coffee milk!
- More tidbits from the Speedy Dub:
- Meta-Cooler: "You are da trash of the Namek people. You are also still alive. This is a good time. I was thinking that after I BEAT 'DIS MONKEY, I'm going to the Earth, but it cost me a trouble."
- Piccolo: "Goku... now we fight each udda!"
- Piccolo: "YOUR MIND HAS BEEN DAMAGELY CORRUPTED. GET LOST!"
- Paragus' entire speech in the Speedy dub.
- You must be banished.. from this worrrld.
And of course, a few more from the Big Green dub, too: