- Dragon Ball Z's "It's over NINE THOUSAND!!!", thanks to Memetic Mutation, has become one of the most (in)famous Narms of all time. While the Ocean Group version of the line is better known, the Funimation version (which is the version Team Four Star chose to parody) is pretty silly itself, although that might have been done on purpose to lightly parody the original version.
- Cell's reaction to Goku giving him a Senzu bean before fighting Gohan during the Cell Games: "Thank you Goku, I shall eat this bean without hesitation!" It's the Motor Mouth delivery that sells it.
- The sheer amount of ridiculous edits and dialogues done in the Ocean dub just to cover up the deaths regardless of logic caused it to turn the dub into a full on So Bad, It's Good comedy because of how ridiculous it is.
- Every time a character threatened to send someone "to another dimension!" It's used so often you can't take anyone seriously. Heck even the kids that are watching thinks that "another dimension" is a slang for death considering that it's so blatantly obvious what happened to them, regardless of how much Ocean dub claims that they aren't killed.
- When Nappa decides to blow up an entire city full of people, he claims that the entire inhabitants have somehow evacuated despite the fact that previously there were a load of baffled crowds watching them. In two seconds? Talk about Outrunning the Fireball.
- Nappa saying "Bus stop to the next dimension!" during his fight with the Z Warriors. Goku should have traveled by bus on his way to meet King Kai.
- There is also Goku's "realization" upon seeing Vegeta Great Ape form. Why the quotation? It's because in this version Goku apparently believes that Vegeta is the one who destroyed the World Tournament arena and murdered his grandfather. Putting aside the huge amount of Fridge Logic that comes out of this, this Bowdlerisation turns the critical moment from Goku realizing that he is the one who murdered his grandfather into a Never My Fault moment.
- This line from Trunks from the English dub of Z is a Narm meme:
"If they set that android free it will be the end of all of us!! NOOOOOOOO!!!"
- Many English speaking fans consider Adult!Goku's Japanese voice Narmful, finding it dissonant to hear a big bad martial arts guy (a grandfather in the end) speaking with almost the exact same voice he had as a twelve-year old. This is intentional, however.
- Masako Nozawa voicing adult Son Goku with almost the exact same voice he had as a twelve-year old is uniquely charming. Masako Nozawa voicing his father Bardock is just egregious. A hardened, ruthless Saiyan warrior sounding like... this? That's so unfitting, it's hilarious!
- In the end, she's the Seiyuu for every male member of the Son family except for Goku's brother Raditz, who has a deep baritone voice. Maybe Raditz isn't related to Goku after all!
- Freeza tries to intimidate Krillin:
Freeza: You cut off my tail, you imbecile, and now I'm going to eat you!!!
- The "Big Green" dub of the Dead Zone movie (an infamous European dub of the Z movies which inexpiably renamed, among other thingd, "Piccolo" to "Big Green", hence the name) has this line uttered by Big Bad Garlic Jr. when Kami appears to confront him:
Garlic Jr.: Good lord, it's God!
- From the same version, the Quirky Miniboss Squad are impossible to take seriously. While there's an element of parody with most evil minions in the Dragon Ball franchise, giving one of them a voice that sounds like an evil version of Fozzie Bear doesn't help much.
- Goku's five minute transformation into Super Saiyan 3 is also rather infamous, awesome, but infamous.
- Super Saiyan Goku's "I am" speech in the Funimation dub is hilariously bad. Not only because of the cheesy writing, but because it took the original point of the speech (Goku finally embracing his Saiyan heritage and making it clear he's not fighting for fun, but to murder Freeza in cold blood), chucked it out of the window and replaced it with a generic, gaudy "I'm better than you because I'm the good guy" speech lifted straight out of an old Comicbook/Superman comic.
Goku: I am the Hope of the Universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!
- The way Freeza is beaten by Goku on Namek. As Goku is flying off and leaving Frieza cut in half and bleeding to death, Frieza starts screaming "I will make you pay for opposing the MOST POWERFUL BEING IN THE UNIVEEEEEEEEEEERSE!" and shooting a beam of energy at Goku. Goku turns around, screams "YOU FOOOOOL!", and blasts it back. Then Freeza's face and the way he's screaming makes it look like he's having an Immodest Orgasm. Also, Freeza says that he's "the most powerful being in the universe" about five times throughout that scene — the scene in which he is dying...
- Before that, there was the scene in which Freeza sent one of his Chasing Destructo Disks at Goku. The camera spins around and around Freeza while he's laughing.
- "You think I'm stupid enough to fall for such a childish TRICK?!!!!" The way Freeza screams "trick" and the way his eyes bug out are hilarious.
- This line by Captain Ginyu in the original dub as Goku is powering up to what was then considered insane levels.
Ginyu: "One hundred thousand?! Ay-yi-yi! I wasn't counting on this!"
- Also during the Freeza Saga: Vegeta awakens from a much-needed nap and then finds the Dragon Balls missing and the dragon summoned. His reaction to the sight of the monstrous Porunga in the initial dub? To proclaim "Holy Cosmos!" and "That's one whopper of a lizard!"
- Really, Vegeta in the early days of Funimation's dub was full of narm. Granted, Sabat was just starting off as Vegeta, but his Brian Drummond impression practically reeked with narm. Thank goodness he eventually found a more unique and better voice for Vegeta.
- Later episodes would give us such gems as "Great galaxies!" and "Son of a Namek!"
- Vegeta's best comeback ever:
Android 18: How sad, to work so hard for so little.
Vegeta: SAD FOR YOUUUUUU!!!
- And this is Vegeta second best comeback ever, from GT.
Super 17: I have to admire your ability to get up after a hit like that.
Vegeta: And I admire your ability to DIE!
- A notable gem in the English dub is when Piccolo finishes his fusion with Nail. Piccolo's dialogue during this scene resembles an overexcited sports player pumping himself up.
"YES! YES YES YES! I CAN WIN! I FEEL GREAT! I - CAN - DO - THIS - UGH! I FEEL INNNNNNCCCRREEEDDDDIIIIBBBLLLEEE!"
- When Gohan is practicing with the Z-Sword, his practice basically includes swinging it wildly over a lake. But then occasionally, he'll stop what he's doing, hold the sword over his head, point to it, and scream, "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
- Kyle Hebert's deep narrator voice can sometimes lead to Narm, like in the episode Gohan Goes To Highschool where he says in his standard, Don Lafontaine-esque tone, "Hurry, Gohan! You'd hate to be late to class..." This is immediately followed by the title card with the standard "guitar riff episode title" theme. Basically, a rockin' guitar riff set to white text saying "Gohan Goes To High School". Doubly-funny because Kyle Hebert is talking about Kyle Hebert.
"Just another ordinary, peaceful morning in a quiet little town, right? WRONG.
- The opening narration for one of the Cell saga episodes, picking up after Cell absorbed almost the entire population of a city. It went something like this:
- The English dub of Kai has Raditz shrieking "NOW DIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!" before trying to kill Gohan. With a scream and hair like that, he could've been lead singer for an 80's hair metal band!
- In GT, Vegeta's sad, sad attempt at growing a mustache. Even his daughter made fun of it.
- And how could anybody forget this gem from the Ocean dub:
Krillin: "Wow! Mondo cool!"Vegeta: *thinking* "That's right, boys: mondo cool."
- An early Funimation dub example when Goku is in Ginyu's body:
- Practically every other one-liner to come out of Frieza's mouth in the Funimation dub can come off as unintentionally hilarious (especially during scenes when he's supposed to be imitating).
- This... Moment from the Cell Saga when Cell tries to surprise 17 with a body slam to absorb him. It doesn't work... Because he tries it right above the sun where 17 would notice the shadow, and Cell makes probably the most unusual, yet hilarious roar you can think of. The Japanese music in the background only makes the entire moment sillier than it needs to be.
- The scene used in Gogeta's introduction toward the end of Movie 12 is different in-between versions, "thanks" to the English dub's Lull Destruction:
- The "Speedy" dub (aka "Malaysian DBZ") in its entirety. To wit, Turles encounters Gohan and tries to turn him to his side:
Turles: Huuuh? Whaaat? I see. So you are the son of Kakarot. You inherited the blood of Saiya-People!
Gohan: Wh-wh-wh-who are you?!
Turles: Huuuh? I am da Saiya-People!
Gohan: Whaaa? The Saiya-People?!
Turles: Yaaaaas! My name is Turass! We can wander selfishly in universe destroy whatever we like... Eat delicious food... And drink delicious likka! There is nothing like this enjoyable life!
Piccolo: Take you hands off from Gohan!
- This dub even has its own Engrish version of the infamous "Let that child alone!" line from the "Big Green" dub:
Piccolo: I'm not KIDDING!!!! GUAAAAUAUAAAAAAAUGHGHHHH!!!
- Arguably, Piccolo's next line is even worse, ending with a roar that sounds like he tried to record it while gargling water.
- More tidbits from the Speedy Dub:
Meta-Cooler: "You are da trash of the Namek people. You are also still alive. This is a good time. I was thinking that after I BEAT 'DIS MONKEY, I'm going to the Earth, but it cost me a trouble."
Piccolo: "Goku... now we fight each udda!"
Piccolo: "YOUR MIND HAS BEEN DAMAGELY CORRUPTED. GET LOST!"
- Anything Yakon does. Basically, one of the most dangerous species in the galaxy is called dumb by Goku.
- It's just, he gives off a rapey kind of feel...
- At the end of the fight, Yakon tries to kill Goku by eating his energy and turning into a balloon. It fails spectacularly.
- Hey! That's my father's GALLIT Gun!
- "Don't forget, so of your cells compose ME!"
- Especially how Cell fails to keep his footing.
- This... THING from the Greek dub.
- Karaoke Time With Vegeta! Yay!
- Surprise buttsex!
- The ever-famous MAYBE NOOOOOT!
- A lot of the foreign dubs are really, really bad.
- Ocean Dub Pui Pui's voice.
- "It's duh gravetee! Ten times stronger than Urth."
- Ocean Supreme Kai's reaction to Dabura: "DABORAAAAAAAH!"
- You may find it difficult to take Ocean dub Cell seriously once you assume from watching this if he didn't absorb an opera singer in his quest for power.
- He may in fact possess the cells of the Portuguese dub Dodoria whom you swear is probably voiced by an opera singer when you hear him.
- Vegeta shouting "THEN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IS GOING TO DIE!" (Video is a Youtube Poop, but it's the only video containing the scene and you can still feel the Narm pretty well).
- It was during the 'next time' segment but the narrator just wants you to know that KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!
- Goku mocking Piccolo for his fatal energy blast missing Goku's vital organs. Piccolo's thusly-memed response: ALL OF THEM?!
- The History of Trunks has an opening narration that tells of how Earth's greatest warriors were all killed by the Androids: "Piccolo was the first to try......and the first to die." Real appropriate. Next is this little gem: "Vegeta was next to fall. Then Yamcha and Tien. EVEN KRILLIN WAS DESTROYED BY THE RUTHLESS DUO!" Because Krillin has such a sparkling record of cheating death.
- And of course, let us not forget Raditz's immortal one-liner towards a freshly dismembered Piccolo.
- The scene in which Frieza beats up Vegeta while speaking calmly would have been more dramatic if it didn't have him randomly grabbing a crab and eating it. Watch it here.
- Occasionally the seiyuu's acting will fall flat during some especially dramatic moments:
- In Budokai Tenkaichi 3 this is most noticable. The player can set the game to be in either Japanese or English. The English voice actors give it their A-game, while the Japanese seiyuus just read their lines out loud. In a fighting game.
- In Dragon Ball Super, when King Kai yells or exhibit emotion, his seiyuu delivers his lines in a flat monotone voice.. Granted, the actor was pushing 86 at the time and was darrin'ed pretty soon afterwards.
- Vegeta's Internal Monologue about how much he treated Trunks like crap is interrupted by Trunks throwing up his own blood onto the screen. Talk about Idiosyncratic Wipes!
- On Episode 130, Vegeta takes a senzu bean from Krillin so he can power up and pursue Dr. Gero. The Brazilian dub features this exchange:
Vegeta: *munch* *munch* ...Those idiots really enjoy wasting time.
Vegeta: *turns super* Very well. You all can go back home and drink coffee milk. And don't interfere with the fight!
Krillin: Ah, you miserable!... Nobody tells us to drink coffee milk!
- Bojack telling Gohan that he will kill him despite the fact he is heavily outmatched by him in his Super Saiyan 2 state, even after he punches him through the stomach and makes him cough up blood.
- And of course, a few more from the Big Green dub, too:
- I shall give you the honor of observingmy METAMORPHOSIS!!!"
- HAHAHAHA! YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT ME? USING THE POWER OF THOSE MOSQUITOES?! I AM THE LEGENDARY WARRIOR!
- Clearin completely forgets who the tall green alien guy that's fought alongside him since the start of the series is. What was his name again?
- I'M ORDERING YOU AND YOUR SON TO DISAPPEAR! GET OUUUT!
- PERISHED AT THE HAND OF MY OWN SON! NOT THAT! NO WHY HAS DESTINY CONSPIRED AGAINST ME SO TRAGICALLY!