Misaki (right) and Ai (left).Ghost Talkers Daydream
(original title 低俗霊 Daydream) is a Shōnen
horror manga with Ecchi
overtones written by Saki Okuse and illustrated by Sankichi Meguro, of which 10 volumes were published between 2001 and 2006. It was adapted into an anime mini-series in 2004. The first five volumes have been released by Dark Horse Comics
with more still to come.
Misaki Saiki is a special young woman. Not because of her day jobs, though those are respectively as a columnist for a porn magazine and as a dominatrix for a BDSM club, but because she can see ghosts
. As such she is covertly employed as an exorcist by a government organization, the Livelihood Preservation Group.
Her liaison with the organization is Souichirou Kadotake, a Non-Action Guy
type who, despite a surprising proficiency in martial arts, is clearly in the wrong line of work, since he's scared of ghosts. She is also assisted by Mitsuru Fujiwara, a teenager with stalkerish tendencies, and Ai Kunugi, a shy high school girl with budding necromantic abilities of her own.
Contains examples of:
- Accidental Pervert: Kadotake, with both Misaki and Ai.
- Action Girl: Misaki would rather avoid direct physical confrontations but when she has to, she delivers a beatdown.
- All Men Are Perverts
- Badass Longcoat: Misaki's coat actually isn't very long, but it is by comparison.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Averted, for women AND men.
- Birds of a Feather: Kadotake and Mitsuru are stalkers-in-arms.
- Brother-Sister Incest/Parental Incest: Suggested of Mitsuru and his step-sister. Made explicit of the girl and her step-father.
- Dominatrix: Misaki.
- Dramatic Wind: When Misaki summons ghosts.
- Furo Scene
- Going Commando: Misaki does it after being reminded she was supposed to give her panties as a prize for a magazine game.
- Harmful to Minors: Ai and Mitsuru's lives SUCK.
- Heroic Albino: Misaki.
- Hidden Eyes: When Misaki channels Ichinose, a deceased murderer, her eyes aren't visible.
- I See Dead People: Misaki and Ai.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Misaki is this to Kadotake and Mitsuru. Ai also becomes this to Mitsuru.
- Loners Are Freaks: Misaki was shunned by her classmates as a child.
- Manipulative Bastard: Yuo all the way - he manipulated dozens of people into commiting suicide (often group suicide) and many of them before or even after their death were helping him with dragging others into this because they saw him as their Messiah.
- Onsen Episode: Misaki is worried about her lack of pubic hair and visits several onsens that are reputed to cure this problem.
- Parental Abandonment: Misaki's parents left her to the care of her grandparents so she could develop her paranormal abilities.
- Rape as Drama: The first time they met, Misaki rescued Ai as she was about to get raped.
- It's implied that Mitsuru was raped by a woman he met over the internet.
- Shrinking Violet: Ai.
- Stalker with a Crush: Fujiwara.
- Stripperific: Though she dislikes her job as a dominatrix, Misaki tends to dress as one when working as an exorcist (complete with Combat Stilettos), even though such clothing is hardly sensible in dangerous situations.
- It's heavily implied she does it for atmosphere, since the more afraid a medium is, the worst an exorcism tends to go.
- Technical Virgin: Misaki.
- Took a Level in Badass: While Misaki is on vacation, Ai is press-ganged into helping with medium work. While she doesn't do as great a job as Misaki, she eventually reaches Plucky Girl status, enough to become a Morality Pet to Mitsuru.
- Tsundere: Misaki.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: Kadotake trips and grabs Misaki's dress while falling down, causing it to rip off and reveal her sexy lingerie underwear.
- Whip It Good: Naturally, Misaki has one. Its name is "Kinui"note and it's alive. It also eats someone at the end of the first book.
- Younger Than They Look: Most of the time Misaki looks, acts and is treated like someone way older than 19, it also overlaps with her being Wise Beyond Her Years