Star Island is a 2010 novel by Floridian
humor novelist Carl Hiaasen
Cheryl Bunterman, known to her fans as Cherry Pye, is a teen pop star on a constant spiral of self-destruction. To keep her frequent drug and alcohol binges from derailing the upcoming release of a new album, her mother
and manager and have hired Ana DeLusia, a similar-looking actress, as a Body Double
to appear in public while the real Cherry sobers-up. Challenges arise as Ana Deluisa encounters a violent but charming vagrant named Skink in a mangrove swamp, Cherry Pye escapes from rehab, and Bang Abbott, an obsessed Paparazzi
, takes increasingly extreme measures to get his goal: a photo shoot of Cherry Pye in her final days.
Star Island contains examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Cherry has no restraint when it comes to drinking.
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: Cherry is prone to this, to the distress of her mother and record producer. On a drunken binge after escaping her rehab clinic, she takes the advice of a crooked psychic and tattoos a zebra with the head of Axl Rose on her neck.
- Always Identical Twins: Played with. Cherry’s media managers, twin sisters Lucy and Lila Lark, were not born identical twins, but were obsessed with becoming identical, and so pursued extensive plastic surgery to make their dream a reality.
- Artificial Limbs: Chemo, Cherry’s ex-con bodyguard, has a weedwhacker for an arm. He demonstrates it on flower vases, wallpaper, and Bang Abbott’s buttocks. It's also a Call Back to the earlier novel Skin Tight, wherein Chemo lost the original.
- Banging for Help: Ana DeLusia after being kidnapped bangs for help when she is locked in Bang Abbott’s car trunk hard enough to make her hands bleed.
- Believing Your Own Lies: Janet Bunterman feigns that her famous daughter’s frequent trips to the emergency room are dietary problems instead of drug and alcohol overdoses, yet acts genuinely outraged if anyone challenges her on this.
- Berserk Button: Skink will bring violent revenge upon anyone who damages the environment, especially the Florida Everglades.
- Body Double: Ana DeLusia is Cherry Pye’s body double. She is used to cover up for Cherry’s absences when the singer is missing or high on drugs.
- Child Popstar: Cherry was one.
- Deadpan Snarker: Ana DeLusia. Especially when talking to Bang Abbott.
- Decoy Getaway: When Cherry accidentally overdoses on vodka, Red Bull, hydrocodone, birdseed and stool softener, Ana DeLusia is taken out on a stretcher through the front exit, where she is photographed by Bang Abbott, while Cherry is snuck out the back.
- Dirty Old Man: Maury Lykes, Cherry’s record producer.
- Disproportionate Retribution: After hearing a hotel guest brag about how her husband and his buddies had once beaten a shark to death with baseball bats, Skink sets her suitcase on fire with a can of stolen aerosol paint thinner, and when the fire alarm goes off, seizes her Maltese pet dog and runs off into the street with it. He considers eating it, but decides not to, as the Maltese doesn’t look like it would taste very good.
- Do Not Call Me Paul: It’s Cherry Pye, not Cheryl Bunterman. Later, Cherry demands that her name be once again changed, this time to “Cherish”. In the epilogue, it is revealed that she settles for “Chairish”.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Chemo's a violent thug, but he takes a liking to Ana and is bothered by the Bunterman's callous attitude towards her safety. Later in the novel, Chemo convinces Skink not to kill Abbott (Chemo is blackmailing him for money),but says that if Abbott had raped Ana, Skink could go ahead and off him.
- Fingore: After managing to get Bang Abbott’s gun away from him, Ana accidentally shoots one of his fingers off. It sticks to the ceiling. In addition to the pain, Bang Abbott is agitated by this event because it was his camera finger.
- Everything's Even Worse with Sharks: Bang Abbott once lured a pack of hungry lemon sharks to a beach of tourists, hoping to get a lucrative photograph of their frenzied, panicked escape from the water. He assumed wrongly that lemon sharks would focus on the bloody chum bag and ignore the tourists. Instead, one of the sharks attacks the swimmers, one of whom runs out of the water with the animal still attached. Abbott won a Pulitzer Prize for capturing the moment, but was forced out the newspaper business after it's brought to light he essentially staged the whole thing, even though the attack was real.
- Frozen Face: Due to extensive Botox, the twin sisters Lucy and Lila Lark, Cherry’s media managers, have permanent fixed expressions.
- Going Cold Turkey: After being retrieved from her post-rehab binge, Cherry Pye is deprived of pills and alcohol, under the tender care of Chemo, the ex-con bodyguard.
- Gonk: Chemo, due to repeated botched cosmetic surgeries, has a face frequently described as being covered in cornflakes and is missing part of an arm, he inspires horror in those who see him for the first time.
- Groin Attack: Wherever he goes, someone is always willing to kick Bang Abbott in the crotch.
- Skink sticks a sea urchin down the front of a corrupt real estate agent’s pants. It is exactly as painful as it sounds.
- Jerkass: The Buntermans, Bang Abbott, the Lark sisters..there's not a lot of good folks in this story.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Cherry Pye, is, unfortunately, just as shallow and thoughtless inside as she is outside.
- Mountain Man: Skink, the grizzled former governor of Florida, lives for the most part in Florida mangrove swamps and everglades, eating snakes and roadkill.
- Only Sane Man: Ana DeLusia and Maury Lykes are two of the only people around Cherry with perspective on her self-destructiveness, as opposed to most of the others who only enable, excuse and cover up her excesses.
- Paparazzi: Bang Abbott’s profession, after leaving his previous gig as a news photographer in disgrace.
- Refuge in Audacity: Charged with the handling of Cherry Pye, Chemo takes a dislike to her use of valley girl vernacular and, in addition to keeping her off the wagon, pokes her with a cattle prod every time she uses the word “like”, “dude”, or “totally”. When Cherry angrily complains of this to her mother and record producer, they dismiss it as another one of her ridiculous lies.
- Spoiled Brat: Cherry Pye.
- Stage Mom: Janet Bunterman.
- Stalker with a Crush: Though he was already stalking her as part of his job as a Paparazzi, Bang Abbott’s obsession with Cherry Pye turns into this after a one-night stand on her private jet.