Your Worst Nightmare!
"Keith Richards said that kids should not do drugs; Keith, we can't do any more drugs, because you already fucking did them all! There's none left; we have to wait until you die and smoke your ashes! Jesus Christ! Talk about the pot and the fucking kettle!"Keith Richards
(born 18 December 1943) is the rhythm guitarist and a founding member of The Rolling Stones
, one of the best known members along with Brian Jones
and Mick Jagger
. His inspirations have long included Chuck Berry
, Jimmy Reed, Scotty Moore (Elvis Presley
's guitarist) and Bo Diddley
. His style is (predictably) a standard blues rock feel, emphasizing chords and rhythm over 'fastest-gun-in-the-west style.'
He is frequently listed among the top ranks of guitarist magazines, greatest song lists, and all time rock and roller greats. His musical history is enormous, with hundreds of songs to his name, and even more guitarists inspired directly or partially by him. He has also inspired actors, but more on that later.
Unfortunately, despite his talent, he is most remembered for his amazing amounts of drug intakes, and other 'misquotations' from his long career. He once famously responded to an interviewer asking him what the strangest thing he had ever snorted was by saying 'my father, his ashes ground up and snorted
.' This article had to be changed by his management, since it stated incorrectly that he ground his father's ashes up 'like cocaine'
when in truth it was 'with cocaine'
. Also, they incorrectly stated that he listened to Motorhead
, not Mozart
Recently, Richards has been made even more famous by Johnny Depp
, who based the movement of the character Jack Sparrow off Keith Richards. Richards then appeared in the third and fourth Pirates of the Caribbean
movie as Jack Sparrow's father, complete with his wife's shrunken head.
Studio and Live Discography:
- 1988 - Talk Is Cheap
- 1991 - Live At The Hollywood Palladium, December 15, 1988
- 1992 - Main Offender
- 1978 - Run Rudolph Run
- The Harder They Come as the original B-side
- Pressure Drop as the reissue B-side
- 2009 - Life
- 2014 - Gus And Me
Keith Richards provides examples of:
- I Call It "Vera": Names all of his guitars, in order to simplify things with his techs. His main guitars include "Micawber," "Malcolm," "Sunny" (all Fender Telecasters) and "Dice" (a Gibson Les Paul Jr.).
- Step Up to the Microphone: Keith has lent his vocals to numerous Rolling Stones songs over the years.
- Urban Legend: Supposedly, Keith is able to cheat death because every few years, he gets a full blood transfusion at a clinic in Switzerland. Keith said he told this to the customs officer in London as a joke, and the guy bought it.