Dick Turpin carries on with his flintlock cocked!Carry On Dick
is the 26th film in the Carry On
series. It was also the last Carry On
film to feature Sid James, Hattie Jacques and Barbara Windsor.
The film is based on the story of Dick Turpin (Sid James). Highwaymen are running riot, so the Bow Street Runners are formed under the command of Sir Roger Daley (Bernard Bresslaw) and the pompous Captain Desmond Fancey (Kenneth Williams). The biggest thorn in their side is the elusive Dick Turpin.
- Sid James as The Reverend Flasher/Dick Turpin
- Kenneth Williams as Captain Desmond Fancey
- Barbara Windsor as Harriett
- Hattie Jacques as Martha Hoggett
- Bernard Bresslaw as Sir Roger Daley
- Joan Sims as Madame Desiree
- Peter Butterworth as Tom
- Kenneth Connor as Constable
- Jack Douglas as Sergeant Jock Strapp
Tropes appearing in this film
- Accidental Pervert: Sergeant Strapp starts following men into the lavatory in order to see if they have a distinctive birth mark on their manhood. This results in him getting dunked in a horse trough.
- And I'm the Queen of Sheba:
Fancey: I am Captain Fancy of the Bow Street Runners!
Constable: And I'm Titania, Queen of all the fairies!'''
- Catchphrase: Dick's "Stand and deliver!"
- Clueless Detective: It really makes one wonder how Fancey and Strapp made to their current ranks in the Runners.
- Disguised in Drag: Dick and Tom, when they rescue Harriet after she's arrested.
- Fake Nationality: In-Universe example. As Sir Roger says, Desiree is "a damned attractive cockney wench with an absurdly bogus French accent."
- Gentleman Thief
- Hero Antagonist: Captain Fancey, Sergeant Strapp and Sir Roger.
- Hypocritical Humour:
Bad news, Rector! Damn and blast it! Rev Flasher:
Tom, Tom. No news is so bad that it merits the use of a cuss word. Particularly in front of Miss Hoggett . Tom:
Sorry, Rector. But they've got Harriet. Rev Flasher: BLOODY HELL!
- Intimate Marks: The Bow Street Runners learn that the notorious highwayman 'Big Dick' Turpin has a distinguishing birthmark on his penis, so one of them starts following men into the lavatory to see if he can spot it.
- The Klutz: Sgt Strapp.
- Loveable Rogue: Dick.
- Never My Fault: When Fancey and Strapp are arrested, Fancey blames Strapp for getting them into that predicament by failing to see that they were being led into a trap.
Strapp: Excuse me, but I was distinctly under the impression that THEY were walking right into YOUR trap!
Fancy: If you can't talk sense, SHUT your trap!
- Sympathetic Inspector Antagonist: Fancy and Strapp.
- Villain Protagonist: Dick, Tom and Harriet.