open/close all folders
- In the Tintin book Land of Black Gold, Prince Abdullah is kidnapped by Dr Mueller and driven away in a car, only to throw a Spanner in the Works when he puts itching powder on the back of Mueller's neck.
- NOT played for laughs in the JLA storyline "Obsidian Age", where Plastic Man is trapped for 3000 years as crumbs scattered along the ocean floor. While conscious the but unable to do anything about the situation but think. The entire time he felt an itch which was just to make sure that entire time he suffered since he was unable to move.
- Undead or Alive: Luke's nose starts to itch when he and Elmer are stripped naked and forced to ride on a horse together with their hands bound. Once they are finally untied, Luke spends several moments flailing about with his now-numb hands trying to scratch it.
- When he first starts working out, Dennis in Run, Fat Boy, Run! gets a nasty, itchy rash in his crotch that he absolutely has to scratch... as he is at work as a security guard in a lingerie shop. One can guess what this looks like.
- Shrek in Shrek the Third is trussed up in some Impossibly Tacky Clothes for a royal appearance, and suddenly develops a horrible itch on his rear. He has some poor servant scratching that itch when the curtains open, giving the waiting crowd a view they really didn't want.
- Cheech and Chong use this in Nice Dreams. Scene opens with Cheech screaming his lungs out and writhing, clearly in a straitjacket and prison cell. Maybe all those psychelics he took finally fried his brains? Finally he manages to get his wits together to enunciate the problem. MY BALLS ITCH! Enter Chong.
- In The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, the king of the Moon (Robin Williams) is gleefully happy to be rid of his lower body, leaving his head to roam freely in intellectual pursuits. Then he begins feeling a terrible itch in his non-existent body, and is completely unable to do anything about it.
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer: This happens to Tom Sawyer when he is trying to hide silently in the dark.
- Robert A. Heinlein:
- In the murder mystery "The Sibyl in her Grave", one character is writing a letter from her sickbed where she's confined with a broken leg. "I used to think Heaven was just a place where you played the harp and sang hymns all day, and I wasn't particularly bothered about going there, but now I know it's somewhere where you can scratch your ankle any time you want for the rest of eternity, and I really, really want to get in."
- In The Bible, Job is afflicted with a horrible itch all over his body after his entire possession and all of his offsprings die.
- Played for Drama in the New Jedi Order book Destiny's Way. The Yuuzhan Vong have captured the galactic capital, Coruscant, and begun aggressively xenoforming the planet — but the World Brain, the living computer responsible for running the process, is working against them due to the events of the previous books. One of the symptoms is an "itching plague" that strikes at the worst times, like inside Supreme Overlord Shimrra's Deadly Decadent Court. One member of the court (Master Shaper Yoog Skell, whose job it was to fix the World Brain; obviously he didn't do it very well) was actually executed for scratching.
- In The AT Team episode "Till Death Do Us Part", Jackie Taylor, the victim of the week, and every member of the team but B.A. ends up with something in a cast after a bad landing, and judging from the fact that people are warned against saying "itch" several times, they're experiencing a lot of itchiness in the affected parts.
- On Supernatural Sam is under a bad-luck curse where things go wrong with no fault of his own. Dean, working on fixing it, leaves him in a hotel with instructions to not move or budge, "Don't even scratch your nose." Cue an itching nose on Sam's part.
- On How I Met Your Mother, Marshall realizes he has head-lice halfway through a job interview, and starts "discreetly" trying to scratch it. Eventually, it's too much for him and he screams out "I HAVE LICE!". Suffice to say, he did not get the job.
- On an episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, two men must face a magical test to win Sabrina's heart, which involves running through an obstacle course to reach Sabrina, who is sinking into a pit of quicksand. At a point where her hands are submerged, seemingly pinning her arms to her sides, Sabrina says: "Help, someone save me! Or scratch my nose..."
- On another episode, Libby was placed in the stocks during a school trip. Naturally, her nose started to itch.
- In one episode of Mash, Margaret is afflicted by a rash on her backside but can't scratch because she doesn't want anyone to learn of her plight.
- In one episode of NCIS, McGee gets a poison ivy rash. On his crotch. At one point Abby turns around to find him trying to ease the pain by rubbing his groin on the corner of a table.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer - on "Some Assembly Required", Xander is playing around with a model head in the science lab, making it say "Hello - I wanna get a-head!" and "For the love of God, will someone scratch my nose?!"
- In an episode of Teen Wolf a group of people are taken prisoner and thoroughly tied up. One asks if anyone else has an unbearable itch they can't scratch. One of the others replies that had didn't until she mentioned it but now he does.
- On Newhart, Bob ends up locked in stocks at a historical town festival. He gets an itch and desperately cries out "Anybody? $5 to scratch my nose!" Cloudcuckoolanders Larry, Darryl, and Darryl show up— and they each scratch Bob's nose and give him $5!
- Invoked by Toby in an episode of Scorpion. A Mexican drug cartel had cornered Team Scorpion, but luckily they had reprogrammed the cartel's own motion-activated turret gun to shoot at the side of the yard where the cartel was standing. The cartel is forced to let them leave, as the muzzle flash of shooting would certainly draw the turret's fire. As they walk away, Toby mischievously leans back and tells one of the cartel members, "Your nose does not itch."
- "Scrotal Torment" by Psychostick.
In a crowd
with no escape
is when I feel
my privates wake!
Got to find
or they will see
me scratching me!
MY BALLS ITCH!
They're itching, I gotta scratch 'em
WAY DOWN LOW!
My balls are a ball of fire!
Leaves me bitching
Can't endure this!
Leaves me bih…
- Seán Cullen demonstrates how a lot of country music is about some sort of misery or hardship by singing the following:
Well, I only got one leg, and it's itchy.
And I only got one arm, but it's on the wrong side!
- In If the Emperor Had a Text-to-Speech Device, the Emperor, apart from constant torment of being ripped apart and struggling to control Astronomicon, also suffers from an itch on his nose that just won't go away, despite the fact that he doesn't have a nose anymore. Nurgle inflicted him with phantom itching thinking it would eventually drive him insane, causing him to destroy humanity and ascend to the Warp as a new Chaos God.
- In one Danny Phantom episode, Danny and Valerie end up in the Ghost Zone and are forced to team up against Skulker. After a while, they end up trapping him, tying him up, and leaving him on the floor as they exit the zone. At that point Skulker exclaims: "Err...Guys, there is a problem... my nose is itching."
- In the Wartime Cartoon "Donald Gets Drafted", Donald Duck is instructed by Sergeant Pete to stand still. Unfortunately, he's standing on an anthill.
- In the Looney Tunes short "An Itch In Time", Elmer's dog tries very hard not to scratch a flea bite lest he get the ultimate penalty: a bath!
- On Dexter's Laboratory, Dexter gets the chicken pox and is told not to scratch the pox, or he'll turn into a chicken. He tries ways of keeping from scratching, even restraining himself completely, but nothing works and he eventually goes on a scratching spree... after which he indeed turns into a chicken.
- On Futurama, Lrr has just finished a broadcast warning Earth of its impending doom, when he comments on getting an itch at the worst possible time (and place) and proceeds to scratch it. Then he's informed that they're still broadcasting...
- In one episode of Detentionaire, Tina's nose gets itchy while she's trapped in crystal and unable to scratch it.
- The worst timing for a case of Inconvenient Itch.
- An Irish-Gaelic curse runs, "May you be afflicted with the itch and have no nails to scratch."
- A common dilemma for people receiving IV medication or fluids, who don't dare scratch around the cannula even though the tape holding it in place can itch like crazy.
- It's been said that getting an itch on your nose while being an astronaut out on a long EVA mission is utterly maddening. Thankfully, NASA kindly installed small velcro strips on the inside of spacewalking suit helmets to allow scratching.