An American comedic Metal band with strong influences from Alternative Metal, Hardcore, Nu Metal and Funk Metal; the band describe their music as "Humorcore". Formed in 2000, they became known to a wider audience in 2006 with the re-release of their 2003 debut album and have released two studio albums, along with two EPs (one of them a Christmas Album), since. They are also distinguished for their use of unusual wigs/hats and costumes, with lead singer Rob's spiked clown hat being the one constant.Discography:
- We Couldn't Think of a Title (2003, reissued 2006)
- The Flesh Eating Rollerskate Holiday Joyride (EP, 2007)
- Sandwich (2009)
- The Digital Appetizer (EP, 2010)
- Space Vampires VS Zombie Dinosaurs in 3D (2011)
- Revenge of the Vengeance (2014)
- Rob "Rawrb" Kersey: Lead Vocals
- Josh "The J" Key: Lead Guitar, Vocals
- Alex "Schmalex" Preiss/Dontre: Drums
- Matty "Poolmoose" Rzemyk: Bass Guitar, Vocals (2011-present)
- Hunter Alexander: Bass Guitar (2000-2002)
- Mike "Hawkizzard" Kocian: Bass Guitar, Vocals (2002-2008)
- Virce Joharsen: Rhythym Guitar (2004-2006)
- Jake "Jakermeister" McReynolds: Rhythym Guitar, Vocals (2008-2010)
- Jimmy "Jimmychanga" Grant: Bass Guitar, Vocals (2008-2009)
Psychostick provides examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: "Happy Fucking New Year", "Hate Times 8"
- The Alleged Car: "Two Ton Paperweight"
- All Men Are Perverts: "Orgasm = Love", "Because Boobs"
- Adaptational Badass / American Kirby Is Hardcore / Beware the Nice Ones / Took a Level in Badass: "Red Snow""Rudolph's gonna make you suffer."
- And a Diet Coke:"What can I get you?"
"I would like 4,000 tacos and 1 diet coke."
"How many tacos?"
"Uh, that would be 4,000."
"Four thousand tacos and one diet coke?."
- Angrish: Many, if not most, songs.
- Angst: Of which the band's Signature Style is a parody of.
- Audience Participation: Parodied in "Welcome to the Show", where the audience is asked to make some noise, show the metal horns, flip the bird at the band, wave their keys in the air, and give their neighbour a hug. ("Awww...you guys are sweet!")
- Author Appeal: In addition to thanking their musical influences in the liner notes, said artists also get mentioned in their sketch sequences.
- Award Bait Song: "#1 Radio $ingle" tells you how it's done."We sell a million albums!"
- Badass Boast / Rockstar Song: "P is the Best Letter"P is the best letter in the whole alphabet,
because it starts the name of the greatest band ever.
The greatest band ever happens to be the one you are now listening to.
- Beergasm / Ode to Intoxication: "BEER!!!" and "Jagermeister Love Song"note .
- Berserk Button / Rage Breaking Point: "Don't Eat My Food"
- Big "Shut Up!": "Sadface :(", which is about Facebook posts and Twitter updates.
- Black Comedy
- Black Sheep Hit: "Beer!", as showcased in "That Guy".
- Blatant Lies / The Treachery of Images: "This is Not a Song, It's a Sandwich!"
- Blooper Reel: Each album (with the exception of Holiday Joyride) contains an "Outtakes" track which mostly consists of Rob (the singer) interrupting a line via a memory or vocal mishap.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: Near the end of "This Is Not A Song, It's A Sandwich", a list of typical sandwich fillings is listed off, which gradually get more and more absurd. This list includes:Lettuce, bacon, cheese, tomato, cheese, olives, onions, frog, tuna, turkey, peppers, salami, noodles, pizza, TIRES...CROWBARS!
I wanna grab 'em, I wanna shake 'em,
- From "Because Boobs":
I wanna nom nom! Because boobs.
I wanna squeeze 'em, I wanna slap 'em,
I wanna punch 'em! Because boobs.
- Brick Joke: The first name suggested for We Couldn't Think of a Title at the beginning of the album is "The Flesh Eating Rollerskate". Their follow-up Christmas EP would be named The Flesh Eating Rollerskate Holiday Joyride.
- Brutal Honesty: "You're just drinking a pizza!"
- Buffy Speak: "For every spam you send me, I'm gonna... do something... like... really... not good!"
- Butt Monkey: Alex, the drummer. Is nicknamed "The Boy", appears in the debut album insert wearing a cow pattern jumpsuit, complete with a plastic udder, and gets criticized and ignored by the other band members during songs and skits.
- Buxom Is Better, Funbag Airbag, Gag Boobs, Gainaxing, I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!, Marshmallow Hell, Petite Pride: "Because Boobs"
- Call Back: "Obey The Beard" uses the quote, "Drink to the beard, 'cause beards are good...and stuff", referencing their oft-used description of beer being good...and stuff.
- Captain Obvious: "You're at a concert! You're at a show!"
- Careful With That Axe: Rob is such a big fan of this trope that it'd be easier to list the songs that don't use it.
- Casanova Wannabe: "In a Band to Get Chicks"
- Chekhov's Gun: "Attempt at Something Serious" involves one of the guitarists, Jimmy, trying to "write a serious song", only to be constantly interrupted by the other band members, eventually telling them it will "sell them a million albums". It's followed by "#1 Radio $ingle", which they say in the song itself will "sell them a million albums" but is different from the one Jimmy was writing. That song turns out to be "We Ran Out of CD Space", which ends up not being very serious after all.
- Cluster F-Bomb: "I like to yell things in the microphone! And say bad words: fuckity fucker!"
- Also the entirety of "NSFW."
- Concept Album: Though it doesn't comprise the album as a whole, 8note of the 24 tracks on Sandwich are food-related and all appear in a (mostly) uninterrupted cluster within the middle of the album.
- Conspiracy Theorist: "Political Bum"
- Cool and Unusual Punishment:Rob: You better get up before I start singing you a... SONG!Josh: Alright, alright, I'm up! I'm up! Just please stop singing, man! You sing like shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!
- Dead Artists Are Better: "Fake My Own Death and Go Platinum"
- Deathbringer the Adorable: "Six Pounds of Terror" consists entirely of a guitar and drums playing to a little dog growling while playing with his squeeze toy.
- Deconstructive Parody:
- "Why, Oh, Why" is a note for note, lyric for lyric parody of the popular Nu Metal band Staind and singer Aaron Lewis' over-the-top relationship-based Angst.
- "#1 Radio $ingle" deconstructs the songwriting of Nickelback and various other cookie-cutter Post-Grunge Hard Rock acts.
- "Numbers (I Can Only Count to Four)" mocks the simplistic music and Word Salad Lyrics of the original Drowning Pool song.
- Does This Make Me Look Fat?: One of the many topics brought up in "Throwin' Down".
- Dramedy: Despite the parody element, some of the songs are surprisingly effective as traditionally dark metal songs, especially on the debut.
- Drugs Are Bad: Quoted verbatim within the fake TV broadcast in "Lizard Sphere X".
- Drunken Song: "BEER!" The lyric sheet even states that Josh "really was drunk" during the outro.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The three original bandmembers had different nicknames on the debut: "The Notorious R.O.B.", "Special J" and "The Boy".
- Educational Song / Spelling Song: "ABCDeath", the alphabet song done metal style!
- Epic Rocking: "Shower"
- Fake-Out Fade-Out: "And once again, repeat the chorus for dramatic effect. To remind you that it will be stuck in your head for the rest of your life."
- Faux Horrific: "The Root of All Evil" turns a routine dentist appointment into borderline Nightmare Fuel.
- Flipping the Bird: At the end of "Sadface :(", Rob removes the subjects of the song from his friends list by clicking the mouse with his middle finger.
- Genre Roulette: Each song takes on a slightly different metal subgenre (or mix of them), often in either Affectionate or Deconstructive style.
- Genre Shift: "It's Only a Movie, Stupid!" alternates between guitar pop and the band's own metal style as a backdrop to the song's contrasting messages.
- Gratuitous German: "Translate hate: Hass ist groß, ja?"
- Harsh Vocals: Taken all the way Up to Eleven and performed by an enthusiastic dog.
- Heavy Meta: "Jingle Bell Metal"
- Hidden Track: The first of the band's recurring Blooper Reel segments appears at the end of We Couldn't Thing of a Title Track 18, "Fake My Own Death and Go Platinum", rather than as its own, individually labelled track on latter releases.
- Hypocritical Humor: "They say beer will make me dumb/It are go good with pizza."
- Inconvenient Itch: "Scrotal Torment"
- I'm a Man, I Can't Help It: "Because Boobs"
- Intercourse with You: "Orgasm = Love"
- Insane Troll Logic: "The Dumb Song", whose lyrics primarily consist of "[insert random contemptible occurance] because you're dumb!"
- Insistent Terminology: It may sound like a song, but it isn't. It's a SANDWICH.
- Instrumental: "Largiloquent Dithryamb", save for three trace lines of spoken dialogue which make the song much more Squicky when taken together.
- Kill 'em All: "Die... a LOT!"You! Me! Him! Her!
Everyone's gonna die!
Us! Them! They!
Come on, everybody DIE!
- It's All About Me: "P is the Best Letter"You see, I'm not just an average guy, I'm the singer from Psychostick! I shouldn't just have one chick, I should have a whole harem, and I shouldn't just have one harem, I should have 2, in every state! And each chick should be able to fly to Starbucks to get my mocha frappucino, and my chicks have Wi-Fi preinstalled! Really fast Wi-Fi!
- It's Not Supposed to Win Oscars: Invoked in the ending of "Orgasm = Love", Rob says, "This song ain't getting on the radio any time soon!"
- Large Ham: Rob, aka "The Notorious R.O.B."
- Lighter and Softer: Most of Space Vampires vs. Zombie Dinosaurs in 3D has more pop-oriented song arrangements than the straightforward metal sound of the previous two albums and EPs.
- Loudness War: Surprisingly averted; while the albums are still noticeably saturated, they're slightly less so than the majority of albums of the same time period and genre (the Replay Gain averages of all three studio albums are still in the single digit values, though Space Vampires comes startlingly close to breaking this like nearly all other popular music does). This goes especially for Holiday Joyride, which has a volume and sonic clarity reminiscent of the 1990s. And each one has very wide, natural dynamics, with the exception of Space Vampires which is more compressed than prior releases.
- Malaproper: We Couldn't Think of a Title offers an unusual variant:Alex: Here it is, here it is: Vulgar Display of Power!Josh: You. Are. Dumb!Rob: What kind of band would think of a name like that?Mike: Hey, hey Robby! While I'm thinking about it, I know what... where this... this kind of came out of nowhere but... um... do you have all my Pantera CDs?Rob: Probably. Which one?Mike: Uh, the name's uh, I forget, uh... Vultures Displaying Flowers. Oh shit! I got that one! It's like, it's like a classic album! You have it? I do? Okay.Josh: We should come up with names like those guys!
- Mars and Venus Gender Contrast: "Throwin' Down", "Girl Directions", hell, nearly any time a female is discussed.
- Mascot: A cartoon drawing of a twig with Mad Eyes and a wide open, Perverted Drooling mouth, basically a psycho stick.
- Medley: "373 Thank Yous" is 14 minutes of the band singing the names of everyone who donated to Sandwich's production to the tune of several songs from We Couldn't Think of a Title.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: 8.
- Motormouth: Three each from We Couldn't Think of a Title:
- "Why, Oh Why":"...andthatoneguythatusedtocomeoverandmowourlawneverySaturdayhehadacooltattooofadragononhisshoulderitwasreallyneatandstuuuuuuuuuuuuuuff! Whew!"
- "Orgasm = Love":"'Causetyingyouuptomybedandgaggingyouwithyourownpantiesandstickingmywienerinbetweenyourboobiesandcummingalloveryourchinequalslooooooooooooove!"
- "The Dumb Song"note :"OnetimeyouwenttoMcDonald'sandgotsomefrenchfriessomeketchuppackageandyousatdowntoeatthembutyoucouldn'tgetthemopensoyouwenttothestoretobuysomescissorsbutdidn'thaveenoughtmoneysoyoustartedrunningtoyourfriend'shousetoborrowsomemoneysoyoucouldbuysomescissorstoopenupyourkatchuppackageandenjoyyourfrenchfriesmorefullybutthenjustbeforeyougottohisfrontdoorapianofellonyourheeeeeaaad... because you're duuuuumb!"
- "Obey the Beard":"Areyoustuckinthemiddleofnowhereandyouneedtomakeanimportantphonecallbutthebattery'sdeadandyoucan'tfindanoutlettopluginyourcharger? ...Grow a beard!"
- "Why, Oh Why":
- MST3K Mantra: Invoked in "It's Just A Movie, Stupid", though the song itself doesn't follow this advice.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Most of the band's music in general invokes this, with "Shower" being the penultimate example.IT'S SHOWER TIME, YOU BITCHES!!!
- Must Have Caffeine: "Caffeine"
- My Eyes Are Up Here: "Yeah, but your boobs are down there!"
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: The bulk of the band's music involves rather distinct blends of influences that can be difficult to pin down to just one genre. Is it Hardcore? Is it Nu Metal? Is it Thrash? Is it Funk Metal? More importantly, who cares?
- Nice Hat: Rob's rainbow foam spiked hat, which he is always wearing.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Space Vampires VS Zombie Dinosaurs in 3D
- From "We Ran Out of CD Space":What if your dad was made of rainbows?
You would be like, "OMG that's lame, I want a dad made out of Ninja Robots."
- From "We Ran Out of CD Space":
- Non-Indicative Name: "Prozak Milkshake" is, well, pretty much the opposite of what you'd except from such.
- No, You: "Hey Murph, yer dumb!" "No yer dumb!" "No, no yer dumb!"
- Obsessed with Food: At least a third of the Sandwich album is this. In particular:
Do you feel inner peace because you hold it?
- "The Hunger Within", which is about the narrator fantasizing about tacos, pizzas, waffles and omelets, having run out of both substantial food and the money to buy it.The fridge is so empty.
Good food is so tempting.
I've got three more days
'till I get paid.
Take away my suffering.
I can't go on with things this way.
There's only so much that I can take...
...of eating ramen noodles.
- "Do You Want a Taco?"
Would you fall in despair if you had dropped it?
Does it meet every need you have inside?
You feel so alive!
- "The Hunger Within", which is about the narrator fantasizing about tacos, pizzas, waffles and omelets, having run out of both substantial food and the money to buy it.
- Oh Shit: "I've got bad diarrhea, it might be a good idea if I found the bathroom quick before I..."
- Out-of-Genre Experience: They indulge in a more pop-sounding edge whenever the joke demands it, often suddenly dipping back into thrash metal, such as in "It's Just A Movie, Stupid".
- Potty Emergency: "No Pun Intended"
- Power Ballad: "Orgasm = Love"
- The Power of Hate: "Hate Times 8"Embrace your hate / Hate tastes greatHate your hate / Love to hateHate times eight
- Overly Long Name: "How about, 'Panic at the Gates Between all That Remains Bleeding Through the Eyes of the Dead From Autumn to Ashes Every Time I Lay Dying in Flames at the Disco... Stick?'"
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: "Pluh"If there ever was a word that you heard
It could take the place of ANYTHING
that you could say
Noun, verb, adverb, statement, question
Daytime, night-time, anytime, anyone!
So remember the next time you forget
What you're sayin' in the middle of a sentence-
Don't strain your brain to remember the word
Instead look 'em right in the nose and
Tell 'em that the answer is:
- Power-Up Food: You probably never realized how awesome a fruit an Orange is!
- Precision F-Strike: Happens a lot.
- Reality Ensues: "It's Just A Movie, Stupid"
- Really Gets Around: "Her boyfriend then / cheated on her with / a cheerleader and 17 strippers"
- The subject of the song "Why, Oh, Why".
- Restrained Revenge: "Passive Vengeance"
- Rhymes on a Dime: "Hate Times 8"
- Running Gag: The Hilarious Outtakes at the end of each full studio album. The third instance is titled "Duh, of Course We Did Outtakes!".
- Russian Reversal: "Your hate can go fuck itself!" "Well, your fuck can go hate itself!"
- Sarcasm Mode: "Cockblock"Congratulations!
You're an asshole!
I hope you're happy,
'Cause you're an asshole!
- Say My Name: "Alex? Alex?! ALEX!!! This is a slow song, you can do that on the next one."
- The Scrappy: Guest rapper Big Daddy Crack, as made evident In-Universe in "Lizard Sphere X".
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Josh utters this very phrase during "Orgasm = Love" when he gets tired of playing a ballad.
- Self-Demonstrating Song: "#1 Radio $ingle"Oh this is the verse that sounded just like the verse you heard before, yeah.But if you please take note that lyrics are slightly different than last time.We're killing time, until we're at chorus, agaiiiiiiiiiiin.
- Sequel Song: "Beer, Part 2", a 38 second track consisting of one of the guitarists playing the intro to "Beer" and then vomiting.It's not so funny now, is it?
- Serial Escalation: The ending of "Orgasm = Love".
- Serious Business: Pretty much anything you can think of.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: "Largiloquent Dithryamb"
- Shout-Out: "Too Many Food" opens up with a discussion on whether Mega Man 2 or 3 was better.
- "Obey The Beard" uses a paraphrasing from the opening of "Baby Got Back", and even drops a reference to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- Show Within a Show: "Lizard Sphere X"
- Singing Simlish: "Now we all know where this song's about to go / Start your engines 'cause it's time to motorboat! / Brb brbrbr, brbrbr brbrbrbr. Brbrbr brbrbrbrbr brbrbrrrr!!!"
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Makes sense, considering the genre(s) of music they're parodying.
- Sleepyhead: Josh becomes so bored during "Orgasm = Love" that he falls asleep at the end."Looks like our slow song put him to sleep!"
- Rob then violently wakes him up in the very next track.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: "It's Just a Movie, Stupid" contrasts the Idealism of Hollywood Style romance with the band's own Cynical standpoint.
- Song Parody: "Numbers (I Can Only Count to Four)" is a parody of "Bodies" by Drowning Pool about exactly what it says.
- "Sadface :(" includes a brief parody of "The Beautiful People" by Marilyn Manson.
- Stealth Pun:
- "The Root of All Evil" is about going to the dentist for a root canal.
- "No Pun Intended"I've got bad diarrhea
It might be a good idea
if I found the bathroom quick
before I... oh shit
- Step Up to the Microphone: Josh assumes lead vocals on the Sandwich tracks "#1 Radio $ingle" and "We Ran Out of CD Space".
- Stylistic Suck: "#1 Radio $ingle"
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion: "Don't you hate / when you pay / for a crate / filled with bait / and you dislike... fishing?"
- Subverted Innocence: "ABCDeath", "Hokey Fucking Pokey", "Red Snow"
- Sudden Name Change: In the notes for Space Vampires, Alex's surname is listed as "Dontre" rather than "Priess" as on previous releases.
- Sugar Bowl: "We Ran Out of CD Space" provides a rather literal example:What if the world was made of glazed doughnuts?
You would be like, "Man, that's fuckin' sweet!
I can't believe the world is made of doughnuts!"
- Sugar Apocalypse:What if another world then ate the world made of doughnuts,
making all the doughnut people pissed?
- Sugar Apocalypse:
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: "And there he was / He picked her up / And asked her, "Hey, are you okay?" / He was tall and dark / Strong and kind / And sensitive with washboard abs and it was BULLSHIT!"
- This Is Gonna Suck: "Dentist, dentist, dentist, dentist. Going to the dentist, going to the dentist and it's gonna SUCK!"
- Three Chords and the Truth
- Toilet Humor
- Too Dumb to Live: "Now that we have drunk some beer / let's go drive a car!"
- Third Is 3D: Space Vampires vs. Zombie Dinosaurs in 3D, the band's third "official" studio album if you don't count their two EPs.
- Troperiffic: Especially impressive for a band generally out of the public eye and has only released three and a half albums along with few, if any, music videos.
- True Art Is Angsty: Invoked in "Intervention for a Good Mood"Matty: ...freaking wearing viking helmets and they're...
Josh: Ah ha ha!
Matty: ...like shooting lasers at each other.
Josh: It's awesome.
Matty: And it's like, it's just fucking epic, dude! And did you, did you see the one where like, the guy has the vacuum cleaner and he's like...
Matty: ... runnin' over the, uh...
Matty: ...running over the rug...
Matty: and then like, wha-what?
Josh: Yeah, this um, kinda reminds me of something we've been meaning to you talk about.
Josh: H-help me out here, Rob, I mean...
Rob: Yeah, it, uh... I dunno how to put this, uh, gently, so uh... um, I'm just gonna, uh, come out and say it, uh... Your, uh, your positive vibes and your, and your attititude, your positive attitude and your... you know, just being happy in general is just... not good for metal.
Matty: I know. I know, man!
Rob: And we need to, we need to, we need to put a stop to it, man. And, you know, we're here for you, though.
- Also invoked in "#1 Radio $ingle", where the mission statement is summed up as, True Commercialism is Angsty."This is the part of the song where I talk about emotions. And this is the part where I sing about how I feel so cold inside."
- Also invoked in "#1 Radio $ingle", where the mission statement is summed up as, True Commercialism is Angsty.
- Victory Is Boring: "Don't you hate / when weather is sunny and great / and there's nothing to hate?"
- Vitriolic Best Buds: The band portray themselves as this on the albums.
- Who's Laughing Now?: "Red Snow"My name is Rudolph, I am the saddest reindeer aliveBut I'm gonna take control. I'm taking over the North PoleI might be smaller, but I'm the meanest reindeer aliveUntil I exact revenge, I'm never saving Christmas again.Red Snow. Red Snow. Red Snow.
- A Wild Rapper Appears: Crack Money Reco performs the verses on the unreleased We Couldn't Think of a Title song "M.I.L.F.", and also appears on the track "Lizard Sphere X".
- Women Drivers: "Girl Directions""Give me the fucking address! I'm using a GPS!"
- Word Salad Lyrics: "We Ran Out of CD Space" begins each line with "What if..." and then immediately descends into nonsensical lunacy.
- Word Salad Title: "Lizard Sphere X"
- X Meets Y: The melodic/heavier contrast of System of a Down crossed with the funk-rock style of Red Hot Chili Peppers, with masses of Rule of Funny.
- Yandere: "My Clingy Girlfriend"I made her a cupcake to soften the blow when
I told her "I'm not ready for this level of commitment"
She grabbed for a fork then stabbed me in the arm and
began to pull my hair out while
expressing her resentment
And then she told me she would murder my whole family, my coworkers and girl who took my order that day at Wendy's then she the house on fire, and ran screaming right outside and I felt guilty as the flames reflected off her teary eyes.