Characters: The Gamers Alliance Three
Characters that appear in The Gamers Alliance
. There are so many
that they occupy five pages. This page is for all of the present members and factions of the demon hordes.<< Previous page | Next page >>
Contains spoilers. You have been warned.
open/close all folders
Demon Hordes and Allies
Clergy of Mardük
- Distreyd Thanadar XIII
"Mardük is often maligned as the God of Chaos, but when it comes down to it, Chaos stands for freedom of choice. In an ordered society, nothing is left to chance, and all choices are pre-made. Cardia would take everybody's choices away, and he sends his evil reavers to oppress anybody who wishes to retain their freedom. The Chosen Ones exist to protect the people from Cardia's evil minions, and I'm one of those Chosen Ones."
The current high cleric of Mardük and the brother of Tarna, he serves as one of the Northern Horde's commanders. He is manipulative, intelligent and snarky and feels he is fighting for the right cause to preserve Mardük's memory via serving the demons.
- Black Magic: He is a skilled user of the dark arts.
- Brother-Sister Team: With Tarna.
- Deadpan Snarker: He does this often to both enemies and friends. He has a warped sense of humour.
- Do Not Call Me Paul: Distreyd's sister Tarna calls him Troy or Three occasionally. He often corrects her, telling her that he doesn't want to hear the name again because it doesn't sound respectful enough and that he has severed ties to his past where his name signified his position as only the third eldest child of the previous Distreyd.
- High Priest: He is the current high cleric of the Clergy of Mardük.
- King Bob the Nth: Distreyd Thanadar XIII isn't a king but a high cleric. The number behind his name indicates that he is the thirteenth high cleric of Mardük to bear the name (which also acts as a title) Distreyd Thanadar (and in direct succession to boot!).
- Legacy Character: He is the thirteenth Distreyd. Every Distreyd before him has followed the tradition of using the original Distreyd's name as a high cleric of Mardük. The only difference is having every new Distreyd add a number after the name to differentiate himself from the earlier Distreyds.
- Meaningful Name: Troy, Distreyd's name among his adoptive family before he assumed his current title, is an alternative name for his real name Three which in turn refers to his position as the third eldest child of the previous Distreyd. The naming convention among the Distreyds is that a child is given a numerical title depending on the chronological order of their birth.
- Meaningful Rename: He adopts the name and title Distreyd Thanadar after his father kicks the bucket. This signifies his devotion to the god Mardük and makes the point that he is the direct descendant of the previous Distreyd.
- Named After Somebody Famous: The Thanadar surname is not related to the demonic Thanadar clan by blood; instead the name was chosen for the line of high clerics of Mardük because in the dark clergy's view the Thanadar demons possess the characteristics which the clergy admires. Distreyd XIII isn't that happy to work with the demons who share his surname, and the Thanadar demons themselves find Distreyd's surname a rather amusing but trivial thing.
- Overlord Jr.: He has turned out to be quite similar to his father, the former Big Bad Distreyd XII, except that he isn't quite as cruel.
- Squishy Wizard: He is a powerful mage but can't take a beating.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He believes he is leading a crusade against the "evil" followers of Cardia and that with demon help he can finally help people realize their true potential and break the shackles of Order.
- You Are Number Six: His original name is Three, which indicates that he is the third eldest child of the previous Distreyd Thanadar. This numerical theme naming is common in the Distreyd family line because it not only dehumanizes the children who are constantly goaded into killing not only each other but also their father so that only the strongest survives to inherit the title of high cleric, but the number also helps them figure out who is the oldest child among them (and who is thus the one who might pose the greatest danger to a would-be future Distreyd).
The hyperactive little sister of Distreyd Thanadar XIII. She is kind and helpful and will do anything for her brother, even serve the demons, many of whom she has befriended. She is a skilled rogue and infiltrator and acts as the heart of the Northern Horde.
- Anti-Villain: Very much so.
- Apologetic Attacker: She often apologizes when she's forced to attack enemies but she tries to silence them as painlessly as possible.
- Brother-Sister Team: With Distreyd XIII.
- Morality Pet: She is one of the few people who can keep Distreyd XIII in line to an extent. It is her love and influence which keep Distreyd from fully jumping off the slippery slope.
- Perky Female Minion: She is one of the most sympathetic characters in the Northern Horde and the clergy. She is cheerful, kind and helpful... but she still sides with the demons and believes in her brother Distreyd's cause.
- Token Good Teammate: She is this in the Northern Horde.
One of the Seven Sisters and a daughter of Jahi, she is a demon who represents Avarice. She can't help but keep hoarding more and more treasure and wants what others have.
- Empusa Gallu / Envy
One of the Seven Sisters and a daughter of Jahi, she is a demon who represents Envy. She hides her features and will get rid of anyone she deems more beautiful than herself.
- Ghaddar Gallu / Gluttony
One of the Seven Sisters and a daughter of Jahi, she is a demon who represents Gluttony. She has an insatiable appetite and can eat practically anything.
- Jezebeth / Princess Xezbeth / Midori Mizushima
A cunning half-demoness who disguised herself as the meek household servant of Thanatos Barca. However, she was actually plotting to unleash demons on the city of Illunii via a magic portal, and ordered her minions Naga and Persephone to help her use the heroes of the Grand Alliance to further her goals. In the end her plan was foiled and she was banished back to the Demon Realm, but she returned later to carry on the Eastern Horde's plans. During the adventure in Malperdy it turns out she is in fact the long-lost Crown Princess Xezbeth of Barjassil as well as Midori, the half-kitsune daughter of Haruko Mizushima.
- Antagonistic Offspring: She is this to her mother Haruko whom she no longer sees as her parent because she now identifies the Eastern Horde and its Duchess as her family.
- Bi the Way: As a demon she likes both men and women although she prefers women slightly more because she sees them as superior beings to men.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She introduces herself as a meek and obedient servant but is in fact a cunning and cruel demoness who manipulates everyone under her facade of niceness.
- The Chessmaster: She was the mastermind who controlled Naga and Persephone behind the scenes in Illunii and also manipulated Thanatos and the heroes of the Alliance without them realizing it until it was too late.
- The Corrupter: She essentially drove Persephone insane and goaded her into killing her mother. She then began a relationship with her, further ensuring that Persephone would be under her power without realizing it.
- Everything Is Better With Princesses: She was once the Crown Princess of Barjassil until the demons abducted her and turned her into their minion. Ironically the name Jezebeth which she uses in the horde is in fact a variant of her royal name Xezbeth.
- Evil Gloating: One of her biggest flaws ends up being her gloating, which gives the heroes a clue how to thwart her plans.
- The Mole: She was a mole working in Illunii and using her elven disguise to her advantage.
- Nonhuman Humanoid Hybrid: She's half-demon, half-kitsune.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Raised by Orcs: She eventually ended up in the Demon Realm where demons raised her as their own, turning her into a manipulative, ruthless person who now identifies herself as a demon.
- Lamashtu Gallu / Lamashtu al-Khadra / Lust
"I can be anything you want me to be if that's your heart's deepest desire."
One of the Seven Sisters and a daughter of Jahi, she is a demon who represents Lust. After arriving in Alent in the guise of a Sarquil
refugee named Lamashtu al-Khadra, she immediately gets to work and starts influencing people left and right by helping to unleash their passions and pent up desires while also having fun by trying to drive several couples apart and crush their love.
- Anything That Moves: She won't mind having sex with people whenever she can.
- Depraved Bisexual: She likes both men and women and won't hesitate to go to bed with them although she finds men more easy to manipulate and looks down on them for being controlled by, in her view, the "urge to merge".
- Emotion Eater: She psychically feeds on others' emotions, whether positive or negative. The more intense the emotions, the more nourishnment she gets, so she uses her pheromones to turn people as passionate as possible so she can get the most benefit out of the way they feel.
- Horny Devils: Definitely yes. She tends to drain the powers and lifeforce of the people she has sex with unless her partner is powerful enough to survive the encounter.
- Les Yay: She and her superior Vaetris have a thing going on between them to the point that Lust adores Vaetris and wishes for nothing more than to please her in any way she can.
- Lust: Duh.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Manipulative Bastard: She loves toying with people's emotions and giving them heartaches by making them reveal their feelings to one another at the worst possible moment.
- The Mole: She infiltrates Alent in a benevolent guise to get close to the people she needs to manipulate.
- Really Gets Around: Well, she is Lust, after all...
- Too Kinky to Torture: She sees pain as just another form of pleasure, so torturing her is useless as she just gets more excited about the whole thing.
- Seven Deadly Sins: Lust.
- Shapeshifting Seducer: Lust in a nutshell. She likes to assume the forms of people's loved ones to fool them to lower their guard.
- The Reveal: When Lamashtu finally reveals herself as having been the demoness Lust all along, she does it with style as she makes Razoul cheat on his girlfriend Rain with her and then forces Razoul, who's horrified having gone to bed with a demon, to submit to her while gloating how easy it's to manipulate males.
- Villainous Incest: She definitely won't mind sleeping with her mother Jahi if an opportunity presents itself.
"Snake? How amusing...you haven't even seen the half of it! Perhaps it's time I scale up the threat to please your lesser senses?"
A shapeshifting demoness with a cunning tongue and even greater strength. She worked for Jezebeth and put a mental trigger on Deidra Finian so that she would become their pawn when the time was right. She perished when the Barca manor collapsed on her during her fight with the heroes of the Grand Alliance.
- Elite Mook: She is essentially this, being much more resilient and cunning than most of the demon mooks under Jezebeth's control.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Scaled Up: When she pursues the heroes, she turns herself into a giant snake. This ultimately proves to be her undoing because she becomes an easier target for the heroes to attack although she injures several of them in the process.
- Taking You with Me: She tries this as her last resort and makes the manor collapse on her and the heroes when she realizes she's done for. She would've succeeded if the heroes hadn't thought of a grisly way to blast their way through her torso to reach the exit which she was blocking with her scaly body.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She is a skilled shapeshifter.
- Natsumi Amuro
A cheerful young woman who is looking for her missing brother. Despite her youth she is already quite experienced and knows that the world is not a happy place. Her loyalty ultimately lies with Vaetris whom she follows without asking any questions.
- I Will Find You: She is looking for her missing brother whom the demons kidnapped years ago. One possible reason for her siding with the demons is release her brother from captivity in exchange for her services.
- The Mole: Her loyalty lies with Vaetris, not with Ax.
- Persephone Barca
An elven damsel who seemed to be in distress and the daughter of Thanatos Barca, she made the heroes of the Grand Alliance rescue her from the Coalition's clutches. However, it later turned out that she was in fact working with the demons of the Eastern Horde and used the heroes to betray her father and the denizens of Illunii in a spectacular manner. Her plans were foiled in the end, however, and she was put in jail for her crimes.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She acts like a damsel in distress, albeit in a sassy way, but in truth does her best to frame Deidra for her crimes. After initial hesitation, the Grand Alliance ends up swallowing her deception hook, line and sinker.
- Necromancer: She's one of the few remaining necromancers, and quite insane.
- Psycho Lesbian: After she is corrupted by Jezebeth, she becomes her lover and obedient servant.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: She pulls this off when she's kidnapped by Deidra. However, Persephone only feigned helplessness to make the heroes kill Deidra, which then allowed Persephone to complete the ritual just as she had planned.
- Paimonia Gallu / Pride
One of the Seven Sisters and a daughter of Jahi, she is a demon who represents Pride. She sees herself as superior to all others and has ambitions to become a Dreadlady someday.
Sloth's right-hand demon. He's competent, intelligent, curious and totally devoted to his mistress.
- Battle Butler: He acts as the guardian and right-hand demon of Sloth.
- Beard of Evil: He has a dark goatee.
- Property of Love: He's basically acting like a willing slave to his mistress Sloth, fulfilling her every need, and she does care for him in return.
- Signan Weinstein
A stern comrade and eventual bodyguard of Vaetris who does anything for her. He is bad at flirting although he often tries to show himself as a suave ladies' man.
- Bodyguard Crush: He's fallen madly in love with Vaetris who eagerly exploits his feelings for her.
- The Mole: His loyalty lies with Vaetris, not with Ax.
- Not Quite Dead: After the battle in Trinity Gask to capture Glaurung, Signan is seemingly mortally wounded, and Vaetris leaves him behind to die. However, it turns out he's still clinging to life as the Coalition takes him into custody.
- Stheno Gallu / Stheno Baffik / Sloth
"I believe living is the harder choice. Dying is so simple, so easy that it sickens even me. Life, with all its hardships while remembering all the joys and sorrows one has experienced, is worth living for because we can accomplish so much more in life if we're motivated enough. I can sympathize with Mother on that front, and I hope to one day tell her that I haven't forgotten everything she's taught me."
One of the Seven Sisters and a daughter of Jahi, she is a demon who represents Sloth. She isn't too active when she can help it, but when she does act, bad things happen. She likes to inspire laziness in people and puts them into an imaginary world with her magical powers where they'll locked in an eternal coma-like trance. Despite all this, she's actually a relaxed, thoughtful individual who always prefers to find a diplomatic solution and uses violences as the last resort. After the adventure in Malperdy, she teams up with her former enemy, the trickster Katsutoshi, as the two come to realize that their interests align for the time being.
- Black Magician Girl: She's a skilled mage who specializes in black, destructive magic.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: She can be lazy but when she does something, she proves to be quite a dangerous opponent.
- Enemy Mine: Ends up in one when she teams up with the necromancer Razravkar who has opposed her allies in the past and later with the rogue Katsutoshi when they realize their interests align.
- Friendly Enemy: Many of her interactions tend to be like this because although she promotes the demon agenda, she's more than happy to have tea with her enemies and just talk things through in a sensible manner, preferably making people see things her way or at least make them not try to outright attack her.
- Noble Demon: She's polite to enemies and allies alike and treats her underlings fairly and with respect. She avoids bloodshed and prefers a diplomatic solution whenever possible...simply because that takes less effort on her part than actually slaughtering people.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Pragmatic Villainy: She's quite intelligent and looks at things from a pragmatic perspective. To her anyone she comes across is a potentially useful ally, which is why she doesn't kill indiscriminately and instead wishes to work alongside 'lesser beings' like humans and even form partnerships with them if it helps promote her cause.
- Seven Deadly Sins: Sloth.
- Vaetris L'andariel / Vaetris Redfield
"Unlike some of my more bloodthirsty brethren, I do not wish to see this world in ruins. Rather, I wish it to be mine."
Archdemon and duchess of the Eastern Horde. She posed as a human rogue named Vaetris Redfield and worked as one of the top officers of Ax's Blades of Vigilance. However, that was all an act as she only waited for the right moment to snatch Ax's magic blade Dawn. She also has plans for Glaurung, the leader of the Coalition, whom she sees as a means to reach her goal of becoming the Grand Duchess of all demon hordes.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: There's a reason why she hasn't been overthrown yet. She even takes on the nigh-invincible Glaurung one-on-one and wins with almost no effort.
- Bed Trick: She ends up impersonating Ax in order to fool Khalid into sleeping with her.
- Big Bad Friend: To Ax who saw her as a trustworthy lieutenant and to Jono who saw her as a romantic interest.
- Charm Person: She can use her demonic pheromones to bend the weak-willed under her power.
- The Corrupter: She's as good as or perhaps even better at corrupting people than her sister Nina.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: She ends up utterly curbstomping and kidnapping the Coalition's leader Glaurung who has until then been an unstoppable warrior with magical powers.
- Demon Lords And Arch Devils: She is one of the four archdemons.
- Dual Wielding: Vaetris's preferred way of fighting.
- Evil All Along: She's introduced as a snarky human rogue but she's in fact a disguised archdemon who's gathering intel on other races and the state of the kingdoms outside Yamato so that her horde can invade them.
- Evil Former Friend: With Jahi who used to be her colleague and friend when they acted as prostitutes in the Demon Realm until their paths diverged and led them to embrace different ideals.
- Evil Redhead: Very much so after The Reveal.
- Horny Devils: Vaetris isn't ashamed of showing off her naked body when she reveals her true, demonic form. She likes to combine pain and pleasure and gets ecstatic whenever she smells blood.
- The Magnificent: She is known as the Deceiver. Also doubles as Names to Run Away From Really Fast.
- The Mole: And how! She works as one of Ax's most trusted allies but is in fact one of the four archdemons in disguise. When she decides to take matters into her own hands, she does it with style and without most of the heroes even realizing what is going on.
- Mooching Master: She uses all the humans in her employment for her own ends after she has successfully seduced them. One notable example is her relationship with Signan, making him betray the Blades to follow her, and once his usefulness has come to an end, she leaves him behind to die.
- Shapeshifting Seducer: She likes to do this to the poor people she wants to manipulate and user her woman's charms to her advantage every chance she gets.
- Villainous Crush: A mild example. She really seems to care for Jono as more than a friend, but when he refuses her offer to become her minion, she discards him with a hint of sadness in her eyes.
- Visionary Villain: She wishes to unite the bickering hordes into one, united horde and become their ultimate leader as well as take over the world.
- Vanth Gallu / Wrath
One of the Seven Sisters and a daughter of Jahi, she is a demon who represents Wrath. She's a very powerful and skilled combatant who will fight dirty and cut her enemies to tiny little pieces. She tends to go overboard because when the rage kicks in, there's nothing stopping her.
"It's the survival of the fittest. Only the weak submit and die, and the strong prosper as they stand on the broken bodies of their prey!"
A sadistic demon warrior who made the Threshold demon teenagers rebel against Alentian authorities in hopes of plunging the whole city of Alent into chaos. His cruelty knows no bounds, and he's willing to even turn against his allies if he believes they've mocked him. He utterly despises every non-demon, and he believes in the survival of the fittest. He ironically meets his end in the jaws of hungry demon children, the very ones he had tried to make eat humans.
- Ax-Crazy: He cares for nothing except his own self gratification and killing as many people as possible.
- The Brute: He's strong and angry, and acts in this role in the horde.
- Eaten Alive: His fate when the demon children of Threshold get sick of his bullying.
- Evil Gloating: He's very fond of this as he sees it as yet another way of breaking his prey's spirit before he delivers the finishing blow.
- Jerk Ass: He's very violent and sadistic.
- Karmic Death: He ends up devoured by the ravenous Threshold demon children who he had been manipulating but who turn against him in the end.
- Manipulative Bastard: He shows himself to be a cunning enough manipulator to make the Threshold's demon teenagers rebel against their parents by promising them total freedom to do what they please, which then leads Threshold into a collision course with the non-demonic districts of Alent and escalates the racial tension to a boiling level.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Flavius Severus
"The more opponents we face, the more chances I'll have to test my newest siege engines."
The only human general of the Northern Horde, he is also a great engineer and strategist. He cares for nothing else than to serve a powerful force and test his endless supply of deadly war machines on the battlefield. He enjoys the challenge to test his intellect against as intelligent opponents and wants to show that he is superior to everyone.
- The Engineer: He builds siege engines, for crying out loud.
- The Evil Genius: He's very intelligent. How else could he have designed all his death machines?
- The Magnificent: He is known as the Besieger because of his record of breaking into every seemingly unconquerable city he has come across.
- The Strategist: He adapts to new events quickly as shown in the Battle of Vanna when he questioned Leraje's orders and eventually unleashed the Helepolis to test it against Vanna's defenses. All of his plans went quite well, actually, until Azriel showed up with an earth elemental.
- Turn Coat: He's betrayed his allies twice. First he joined the Yamatian army and helped them take over his homeland Aison, and after the Cataclysm he sided with the demons and helped them take over Yamato. He's an opportunist for sure.
- Leraje Thanadar
"Tell the Shogun that I, Leraje, Hoch des Rot, am waiting for him and that I'll devour his heart and bring his head to my master. All of you will fall before us like your pitiful homeland did!"
An extremely violent second-in-command of the Northern Horde. He enjoys torturing his victims in various ways and often gives himself a disadvantage in battles just to make fights last longer. He is also ambitious and wishes to see demons take over the whole world. Hates his big brother with passion and sees all non-demons as lesser beings.
- Always Second Best: He's this to his older brother who is more skilled than he is. This eventually leads him to betray his brother.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He is the second-in-command of a bloodthirsty horde so he is naturally the second strongest warrior among them, surpassed in strength only by his master Malphas.
- Ax-Crazy: A gritty example of this.
- Cain and Abel: Leraje is extremely jealous of his big brother Ronove's powers and fame, and this eventually leads him to betray him, which leads to Ronove's amnesia and Leraje taking many of Ronove's old followers into the ranks of the Northern Horde.
- Coitus Uninterruptus: Leraje doesn't stop having sex with a female slave even when his lieutenant Nobuo arrives to deliver a report. He has casual conversation with Nobuo while keeping up the act, and he even devours the slave in front of Nobuo at the end of the briefing, going so far as to offer Nobuo a taste of her flesh. Nobuo keeps his cool, albeit barely.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Says this to Ronove who tries to reason with him and sympathize with his backstory while they're having a duel.
- The Dragon: To Malphas. When the duke himself was elsewhere, it was Leraje who commanded the army of the Northern Horde during the Battle of Vanna.
- Driven by Envy: Leraje became jealous of his brother Ronove being better than him at everything, and this envy festered long enough for Leraje to end up betraying him.
- Last-Second Chance: Despite everything Leraje's done to him, Ronove still is willing to forgive him if he surrenders. However, Leraje is far too stubborn and prideful by that point and sees the genuine offer as yet another way of mocking him.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: During the Battle of Vanna he tells Ronove that they are brothers and that he has been responsible for Ronove's amnesia.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Psycho for Hire: The reason he enjoys battles so much is the chance to kill powerful enemies and consume their life energy which makes him grow stronger. He has invented various creative ways to inflict as much pain to his enemy as possible and often likes to toy wish his opponents to give them a ray of hope before utterly skewering them.
- We Have Reserves: He gleefully sends his minions to a certain death just to get results faster even though a bit more planning would've been more beneficial to him in the long run. He does possess a strategic intellect but he doesn't care about mooks that much and sees them as disposable pawns because he can always breed and/or enslave more.
- Malphas d'Xuvadon
"Once Libaterra is mine, the Grand Duchess will have no other choice than to marry me and make me the Grand Duke of Yamato. Then I can dispose of the other archdemons and finally reign supreme over Yamato and the entire world!"
Archdemon and duke of the Northern Horde. An ambitious warlord who has his eyes set on conquering Libaterra so that he can gain a fertile land and show the demonic Grand Duchess of Yamato that he is a worthy mate. He, like his horde, enjoys the thrill of battle. Despite his bloodthirsty nature and condescending attitude, he is one of the few demons to actually employ other races in his forces and has even promoted one human into a general. He has recently fallen under a geas which had been set up by Nina Heeate.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Malphas holds the highest rank in the Northern Horde and is also its most powerful warrior.
- Demon Lords And Arch Devils: He is one of the four archdemons.
- Geas: Ends up being put under a geas due to the treachery of a fellow archdemon.
- Four-Star Badass: He is a general of a bloodthirsty army and he kicks most people's asses without any effort.
- He-Man Woman Hater: He despises women of all races and sees them as inferior to men in every way. Ironically he ends up deceived by a demoness out of all people.
- The Magnificent: He is known as the Devourer. Also doubles as Names to Run Away From Really Fast.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He is this to a certain extent. Despite his misogynism and general racist attitude, he still is surprisingly reasonable at least to his minions. Although he sees other races as being inferior to demons, he won't hesitate to promote a select few individuals if they've proven their worth to him, and he's even gone so far as to make one human into one of his top generals. He has even spared some enemies and recruited them in order to benefit from their skills. He is willing to let one mistake pass but if an officer repeats the same mistake or keeps acting disrespectfully, he won't hesitate to punish them.
- Nobuo Iwasaki
"Your wish is my command."
A colonel who is drunk most of the time, he acts as one of the Northern Horde's commanders. Despite his rugged look and casual behaviour he is in fact quite skilled when he decides to get serious. He is plagued by the guilt he feels for betraying his homeland but feels that serving the demons is a better alternative than the total annihilation of humans in Yamato.
- Anti-Villain: He serves his demon overlords reluctantly but nevertheless gives his best in order to get the job done and keep as many of his men alive as possible. He sees the demon campaign as a necessary evil and hopes that he and his men will someday be rewarded for their services and granted an autonomous area where they can live relatively free from demon oppression.
- The Alcoholic: He is drunk most of the time. It is his way of coping with the atrocities that happen around him as well as the guilt that he feels for betraying his homeland Yamato for the demon cause.
- Badass Mustache: Just look at him. It can't get more badass than that.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: He seems rather mean but he has a soft spot which is the eventual liberation of Yamato from the demon yoke.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Nobuo is drunk quite often and looks rather pathetic when compared to other officers. However, when push comes to shove, he'll drop the act and show exactly why he has the high rank of colonel in the horde.
- Drowning My Sorrows: He does this very often because of his tragic past.
- The Rival: To Samachi. They used to be friends and comrades in the Yamatian army until they chose different sides after the demons took over. Nobuo regrets that he has to oppose Samachi in the field of battle but sees no other alternative because he knows Samachi won't join him.
- Turn Coat: He used to work for Yamato but then became a minion of the demons after realizing that it was no use fighting against them. He is haunted by his actions, and most loyalist Yamatians consider him a traitor.
- We Used to Be Friends: To Samachi who now opposes him and the horde.
- Refan d'Zarnagon
"So what if we're just drunken fools, Ax? Our feelings are real, and that's what matters! We've been running away for years, but it's time to end that once and for all. If we're going to face hardships, so be it. Let them come. However, when that happens, we won't have to run away anymore because we can face any hardships from now on... together!"
A half-demon thief and husband of Skye. He used to be idealistic but became more cynical over the years. The wars have taken their toll on him, and years of fighting against deadly foes has turned him into a man who is not far from becoming a monster himself. He struggles with his demonic side, his dark heritage which links him to a dangerous demon clan, and is torn between loving his wife Skye and his close friend Ax. Recently he has abandoned the Alliance and has joined the Northern Horde.
- Affectionate Nickname: Refan has a few: Reffie (by Skye), and Beardy or No-More-Beardy (by Ronove depending on whether Refan has a beard or not).
- Battle Couple: He and Skye were this until the events in Remon during the Godslayer arc got them separated. They've yet to be reunited.
- Beard of Sorrow: Refan grows this after his Heroic BSOD.
- Becoming the Mask: He intended to join the Northern Horde at first to save his friends but also to infiltrate the demon hierarchy and learn their plans. However, the plan backfired when the demons used his psychological problems and helped unleash his demonic side. Although he still claims that he's only using the horde for his own ends, his actions prove that it isn't so clear-cut to him anymore because he has found kinship among demons who somewhat sympathize with his identity crisis as a half-demon.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Refan does this to his father when he confronts him in Vanna's dungeon, finally managing to accuse him for essentially leaving him to deal with his powers by himself. By this time he is too blinded by rage and frustration that his rant, while justified, fails to recognize his father's explanation of trying to atone for his previous bad deeds.
- Childhood Friend: With Izael.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He has suffered a lot in his life but he has carried on despite all his losses. Past events have left their scars on him, however...
- Distressed Dude: The Sirithai lizardmen capture Refan during the adventure in Vanna, and he ends up being saved from their clutches by none other than Ax.
- Drowning My Sorrows: He often does his to make himself forget the things he's lived through.
- Face-Heel Turn: Happens to him after the Battle of Vanna. Although at first he joins the Northern Horde only to save his friends from certain demise, the demons quickly manipulate his insecurity and the guilt and anger he feels over Nalaen's death and unleash his demonic side, which is now free to do as it pleases. He embraces the dark path after confronting his imprisoned father in Vanna's dungeon.
- Friendship Moment: With Izael before the meeting of Alliance delegates in Remonton.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Refan is a half-demon. He has trouble accepting his demonic heritage and tries to not use his demonic powers unless it's absolutely necessary.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Refan's single-minded goal of combating his enemies is slowly taking its toll on him. He's no longer the wide-eyed idealist he used to be and can now resort to rather brutal tactics which make him no better than those he fights against.
- Heroic BSOD: He suffers a big one during the Second Battle of Myridia when he finds out that the demon lord Omaroch is in fact his father, his nemesis Zarnagon is his long-lost brother Kareth and they're members of a powerful demon clan destined to pave way for a demon invasion. He can't take the truth and flees from battle in terror, a moment which haunts him for years to come.
- Hurting Hero: He is wrecked with guilt over not being able to save his loved ones and for not killing his brother and father when he had the chance, which led to the rise of the Godslayer.
- Important Haircut: Refan does this after he joins the Northern Horde. Not only does he cut his hair but also shaves off his Beard of Sorrow to signify the change.
- It Gets Easier: He freaks out the first time he kills someone even though that someone happened to be a psychotic villain. A decade of bloodshed later he's more than willing to cut the church's well-intentioned knights down by the dozen to protect his family. A few adventures later he's willing to kill an unarmed prisoner with almost no qualms whatsoever.
- Love Triangle: With Ax and Skye. One is a very close friend who he shares a connection with, the other is his beloved wife.
- Loveable Rogue: He keeps breaking the law but is friendly and stays loyal to his friends. However, the past war-torn years have slowly turned him into a more jaded version of his younger self.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: He vows to avenge the death of his mentor Sullena and the capture of his friend Izael by hunting down the dark clerics who were responsible for it. This puts him on the path of becoming a rather self-destructive individual and triggers his demonic senses along the way. In fact him wanting to avenge his adoptive little sister Nalaen's death leads him down a dark path.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Refan's demon self is only interested in itself and doesn't care if it hurts friends or foes as long as it gets what it wants. It actually expresses Refan's hidden feelings but does so in a very violent way. Thus Refan hesitates whenever he's asked to use his demonic powers because he's worried that once he changes, he can't turn back anymore. Recent events have shown a different way of looking at his demonic side, but it's unclear if the demon within has consumed his human side, allowed him to be his true self, or if the two sides have finally learned to coexist effectively.
- Ronove Thanadar
"It's not what you do that defines you. What defines you is how well you rise after you've fallen."
A lunatic but well-meaning amnesiac who travelled with the Grand Alliance while bugging most of its members along the way. He is crazy about strawberry cakes. His weird plans have often helped the Alliance, and many heroes like his goofy personality. However, he's actually an amnesiac Dreadlord, and once he regains his memories, he stops being goofy and is torn between his friendship with lesser beings and his duty as a demon to conquer the world.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: Ronove becomes a member of the Alliance and befriends many heroes. They tolerate him despite his silly antics. However, he's plagued by nightmares and by the time he confronts Leraje in Vanna, he finally regains his memories and powers. After he remembers he used to be a Dreadlord, he is torn between the friendship he has and his calling as a demon to enslave other races.
- Bi the Way: Definitely. Ronove isn't afraid of chasing after the skirts (as the incidents in Vanna showed when he confronted clerics of Artemicia) and has had a passionate French kiss with a less than pleased Refan. This partly foreshadows that Ronove is a demon as demons are commonly bisexual by nature.
- Big Bad Friend: To Nesa and Refan after he recovers his memories.
- Cain and Abel: Ronove ended up betrayed by his jealous brother Leraje who gave him the amnesia he had through most of the saga. It's not until recently that Ronove has recovered his memories and finally remembers who he used to be and what part his brother had to do with the memory loss.
- Chekhov's Gunman: He's initially introduced as an amnesiac and goofy slave who has escaped from a prison ship. Several chapters later it turns out he's actually a powerful demon lord who lost his memories and who becomes one of the more influential antagonists after he regains his memories.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Ronove is the poster boy of this trope during his days as a wandering, goofy amnesiac. He often lapses into long rants about cake and misunderstands conversations. The most egregious example comes when he is impersonating King Marcus and has a rousing speech which goes well until he puts his own spin on it:
Ronove: There's something important that I must share with you before we begin our march. Something terrible happened last night, something that truly, should I say, PISSED ME OFF! Here's what happened. There's an inn in this city that has this amazing strawberry cake, but the last FIVE FREAKING TIMES I've tried to order it, they don't have it! This is clearly unacceptable! If the king can't eat his daily strawberry cake... man, if that isn't god-moding, I don't know what is! I also have another announcement to make: henceforth this day of the week shall be officially known as Cake Day! Strawberry cake will become our national food, and we'll build bakeries and stuff everywhere so that you, my dear subjects, can have your daily dose of this excellent dessert!
- Dragon with an Agenda: He becomes this to Malphas out of all people after the Battle of Vanna. Although he is polite and follows orders, he keeps twisting his superior's orders to better suit his purposes, and he has a goal that somewhat differs from his peers' plans which he has kept secret for the time being. He also hasn't forgotten the people who were responsible for betraying him in the past and causing him amnesia...
- Extreme Omnivore: He'll eat pretty much anything if he's hungry. However, his most favourite dessert is strawberry cake.
- Heartbreak and Ice Cream: After he's rejected by his former lover Omaroch, Ronove starts eating ice cream and also thinks of a creative way of creating the verse's own version of Ben & Jerry's ice cream... albeit with a demonic twist, of course.
- Jerkass Façade: Ronove is an interesting and complex example after he regains his memories. He acts like a generic cruel overlord in front of his peers and enemies, but also occasionally shows a quirky side which most accept as remnants of his former goofy personality (most notably him munching on cake and sand gnome legs). He has shown a less evil persona recently but quite subtly. He let his caught friends flee the occupied city alive while weaving a convincing enough tale to his superiors for the seemingly "evil" reasons he let the escape happen. He takes over the torturing of his former, captured master seemingly because he enjoys the cruel act, but in fact it's because letting others torture said person would be far more severe than what Ronove himself actually ends up doing to him. He openly manipulates Refan but does it for the man's own good because he sees Refan's demonic side useful and thus helps the man to grow into a warrior who doesn't have to fear for his life anymore. However, Ronove harbors more complex plans than most people think, and even the one person who realizes that things don't quite add up is still being manipulated by him into believing one thing while the truth is actually quite different. It's thus clear that he has some sense of honour, but he's also capable of acts of Cruel Mercy by twisting seemingly benevolent acts into something far more sinister for reasons that still remain unclear.
- Manipulative Bastard: When he becomes the new Dreadlord of the Northern Horde, he quickly establishes himself as this. Not only does he manipulate Awar to walk into a scene which ends badly for Awar, he goads Refan to unleash his demonic side, makes himself seem insignificant and loyal to Malphas without revealing all his plans to him, and he breaks Omaroch's spirit in more ways than one to punish him for a past wrongdoing. All of these actions are linked on a deeper level and further Ronove's so far hidden agenda.
- The Nicknamer: He likes to give goofy nicknames to people as any proper Cloud Cuckoo Lander should... such as calling the bearded Refan "Beardy" and the shaven Refan "No-More-Beardy". After he recovers his memories, he uses such nicknames less frequently, unless he wants to subtly troll people.
- Noble Demon: He ends up as a variant of this after he regains his memories. He acts in rather villainous ways but seems to still care for his former friends to some extent while making excuses to his superiors to keep said "friends" alive.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Teacher/Student Romance: Implied with Ronove's close, almost fanatically loyal apprenticeship to Omaroch. The reason why he hangs around Refan so much is because Refan, being Omaroch's son, looks remarkably like a younger Omaroch, which stirs Ronove's memories of his crush on Omaroch.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: The cause of Ronove's amnesia is his beloved brother betraying and attempting to kill him. The shock was too much for Ronove and, combined with a fall from a very high place which he barely survived, resulted in this trope.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Nesa when they end up on opposite sides.
The sly herald of the Northern Horde, he constantly wishes to grow stronger and has a fixation on Omaroch whom he used to torture for information in the past. He loves a good challenge and constantly flaunts his power to his equals while also taunting them. Despite his disrespectful act, he is also cunning and does his best to mask his sinister intentions.
- The Brute: He is huge, muscular and skilled in the use of various melee weapons.
- Deadpan Snarker: He tends to resort to this at times and taunts both enemies and friends alike with much delight.
- Herald: He acts as the herald of the Northern Horde, announcing their impending invasion to their enemies.
- Stalker Without A Crush: Vassago is this to Omaroch. After having spent years torturing Omaroch and extracting information from him, he became obsessed with him, particularly after Omaroch betrayed the demons again and joined Alent after the Cataclysm. He now wants to cause as much pain to Omaroch's body and psyche as possible while proving that he is stronger than him.
- Our Demons Are Different
"This is nothing personal. It is just business."
Khalid's mentor and hunchback servant, he often provides the heroes of the Alliance with crucial information about Sarquil culture. However, he turns out to be a mole who had been sent with Khalid in order to gain his trust and use him for his masters' nefarious ends. At first it seems like his superior is Adela but in the end it's revealed that he has doublecrossed Adela as well and is in fact working for Grand Vizier Iblis and the demonic Southern Horde. He meets his end at the hands of a vengeful Refan.
- Battle Butler: He is this to Khalid, mentoring him on the dangers of magic and the usefulness of politics. He can kick ass too; many have underestimated his magic.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: He manages to capture the god Shakkan into a shard of Krystallopyr, a feat which few mortals have matched.
- Double Reverse Quadruple Agent: He's pretending to work for the Alliance although he's in league with the Totenkopfs. Then it turns out he's actually a mole working for Adela and the Clergy of Artemicia. And then it turns out that his real master is in fact Iblis—in other words, his ultimate loyalty is to the demons of the Southern Horde, and he's been using every other faction to further his demon masters' agenda.
- Kick the Dog: During the battle of Vanna he murders the innocent girl Nalaen once he has no more use for her... just to piss off the heroes, and it leads to his Karmic Death at the hands of Nalaen's protector Refan later on.
- Killed Off for Real: He's slain by Refan after the Battle of Vanna, which then leads to Refan siding with the Northern Horde.
- Old Retainer: He works closely with Khalid although it's just an act to keep up appearances because his true loyalty lies with Iblis.
- Smug Snake: Turns into this after he reveals himself as a triple agent.
"I did what I could to survive... even if I had to sell myself to ensure it."
A demon who infiltrated Magestar and posed as one if its masters while gathering intel for his horde. He acted as a mysterious master with burning eyes who covered the lower half of his face and kept his hood on at all times. He can see into other people's minds to an extent, and he has a dark, disturbing aura around him. He often acts in a quirky, sinister manner which upsets those around him. He reveals his demonic self in Alent when he ends up fighting agaisnt Alentians to protect Threshold and Jahi who he has fallen in love with.
- Casting a Shadow: One of the spells he specializes in. He's capable of using shadows and chaotic, demonic energies as a weapon.
- Glowing Eyes: He has these.
- In the Hood: He keeps his hood on at all times and covers the lower half of his face.
- Love Triangle: He ends up in the middle of a complex one with Jahi and Omaroch.
- Odd Friendship: He and Shuu got along well as he protected Shuu in his fox form from demon assassins. This partnership lasted only for a while, though, and he let Shuu return to Kaizoku after their contract had come to an end.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Tragic Villain: He has shades of this as he works for the villainous horde and isn't afraid of causing destruction but also shows compassion to people and prefers to avoid bloodshed until it's too late to turn back.
- E'soon G'nipparw
A cunning, persistent hunter who fixates on the Black Hunters. He constantly hinders the Hunters' activities and eventually confronts them head-on on Khrima Island. He's eventually slain by a foe he least expected: the mercenary Seria who is not affiliated with the Black Hunters.
- Chekhov's Gunman: He initially appears in a brief scene in an early chapter as a random demon stalking the Black Hunters in Yamato. He reappears a handful of chapters later on Khrima Island to oppose the Hunters... this time much more aggressively and more openly.
- Elemental Powers: He can control weather to an extent, often using an eerie mist to disorient his opponents before he moves in to strike.
- The Hunter: He calls himself the Hunter of Hunters and enjoys slaying those who have caused demonkind harm.
- Killed Off for Real: He dies at the hands of not the Black Hunters but the mercenary Seria who catches him by surprise.
The former Dreadlady and Hepnaz's right-hand demoness until she was murdered by Nina who took her identity and infiltrated the horde.
- Hepnaz L'invrad
"Those who do not plan in war do not survive."
An old, cunning archdemon who plotted to take over the other hordes over decades. He succeeds in subduing another horde under his will, but he ends up betrayed by his closest lieutenant at the most crucial moment.
- The Chessmaster: He plots behind others' backs and succeeds in catching Malphas off guard.
- Death Is Dramatic: He's stabbed in the back by his most trusted underling in a pivotal moment just when he was about to reap the rewards of his dastardly plan.
- Demon Lords And Arch Devils: He's one of the archdemons and quite cunning.
- Et Tu, Brute?: He's betrayed in a critical moment by his closest underling, Dreadlady Gin'vel, who turns out to be Nina Heeate of the Eastern Horde in disguise.
- Evil Old Folks: Very much so.
- Killed Off for Real: Sad but true. A master schemer was betrayed by the very underling he thought he had under control.
- Smug Snake: Hepnaz has the nerve to taunt Malphas and reveal his plans to him while making absolutely sure that Malphas realizes that Hepnaz is the one in control.
- Iblis al-Djinn
"Lesser beings always take things at face value, never bothering to look deeper. Their ignorance will be their downfall."
A demon who posed as a human vizier. He won Adela's trust and rose into a high position in the sultanate but kept his true allegiance a secret. He eventually betrayed the sultanate by deliberately orchestrating events which led to the city of Vanna becoming vulnerable to an impending demon invasion.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Very much so.
- The Chessmaster: He's very good at planning things and making people dance to his tune. However, the trick does't work with the likes of Leraje...
- The Corrupter: He helped turn Adela into a villain and even affected Razoul to an extent. He was the servant of the Defiler, after all, so it is only appropriate that he too shares some of his master's powers by defiling things which are good and twisting them for dark purposes.
- Death Is Dramatic: He ends up beaten and devoured by Leraje.
- Evil Chancellor: The woman Iblis serves is evil as well, but Iblis never was loyal to her even when he ostensibly served as her advisor. He appeared to be loyal but was only using Adela as a pawn without her knowing and did what he could to slowly weaken Vanna from within so that his demon masters could invade the city and the surrounding desert with ease.
- Evil Sorcerer: Oh yeah.
- The Man Behind The Woman: Iblis to Adela. He was instrumental in fueling her rage and helping her kill her sister and take over the throne of Vanna as well as unite the Sarquil clans into what became the sultanate... but he did it all just to further his own goals which were far more sinister.
- Meaningful Name: Well, his name has the satanic Iblis and the genie-ish djinn in them so what do you expect? The name also refers to his demonic origins.
- The Mole: He's ostensibly working for Adela but his true loyalty lies with the demons of the Southern Horde.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Nina Heeate L'andariel
"So simple, the minds of men... rather disappointing, really."
Archdemon and duchess of the Southern Horde. She shares her older sister Vaetris's goals but also likes to distance herself from her. She betrayed Duke Hepnaz and took his place as leader of the horde and also tricked Malphas into falling under a geas which forces him to obey her.
- Dead Person Impersonation: She murdered Dreadlady Gin'vel and took her shape and identity in order to infiltrate the Southern Horde and wait for a proper time to betray Hepnaz.
- Demon Lords And Arch Devils: She becomes one of the four archdemons after she assassinates Hepnaz.
- Evil Redhead: Well, she is Vaetris's sister...
- The Magnificent: She is known as the Defiler. Also doubles as Names to Run Away From Really Fast.
- The Mole: She used the identity of Gin'vel, whom she had slain, to stay close to Hepnaz while she was in fact working for the Eastern Horde all along and prepared for a takeover when Hepnaz's attention was elsewhere.
- The Vamp: She really likes to flaunt her sexuality like her older sister does.
The half-demon daughter and right hand of Pazuzu. She had a fling with Jono and later saved him from a certain death, which didn't please her father at all. She seems to be nicer than most higher demons.
Archdemon and duke of the Western Horde. An obese monster who lives a life of luxury in his well-protected palace. He is over-protective of his half-demon daughter Naamah.
A demon bounty hunter sent by Pazuzu to track down Jono Renfield and bring him back to Yamato dead or alive. He's defeated, however, but manages to strike a deal with the Vulfsatz to track down the missing Glaurung Losstarot in exchange for his life.
- Bounty Hunter: Saleos's current role. He either kills or captures people who have annoyed Pazuzu or other higher demons in some way.
- Eye Scream: He ends up as a recipient of one when Jono plunges his blade into his eye during their battle in Trinity Gask.
- Manipulative Bastard: He used to be quite skilled in manipulation, causing the events which led to the temporary downfall of the Order of the Black Rose, until his fall from grace in demon ranks and his experimentation on mutation turned him crazier. He still shows hints of his former manipulation skills when he's interacting with the Vulfsatz among other people after his defeat in Trinity Gask.
"Let it all burn!"
An extremely powerful and cunning archdemon who has been sealed in another plane of existence twice
. He has appeared in all three ages and is currently manipulating several people in a bid for freedom. If he is ever freed, he won't stop until the whole world is reduced to ashes.
- Demon Lords And Arch Devils: He is a very powerful archdemon. However, he is also quite insane, willing to destroy the whole world. Some demons admire his strength, but most demons fear or hate him for his omnicidal views.
- Dragon Ascendant: Became this after Sydney Losstarot was killed in the First Age. Part of his modus operandi became to avenge Sydney's death by making the whole world burn in his name.
- Enfante Terrible: He first appeared in form of a child who set family houses on fire. However, he grew as his powers increased until he assumed his terrifying adult form.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Some scholars suspect that Yurius's roaring rampage in the First Age was caused by the need to avenge the death of Sydney Losstarot, the only person he presumably cared for and perhaps even loved as a father figure of sorts. However, others claim that Sydney's death merely meant that the leash to keep Yurius in check was finally gone and that he freed himself to fulfill his goals which would result in the destruction of the world whether Sydney had lived or not.
- The Man Behind the Man: To various villains. This time he acts a lot more subtly, using his various unsuspecting pawns to his advantage. Even if one pawn fails, he still has several others whom he can use to further his goals.
- Manipulative Bastard: Unlike his previous appearances, he has seemed to have learned his lession from previous dealings. Although he is still very evil and willing to kill everything, he now uses demonic trickery to gain followers and make them aid his agenda. So far he is manipulating at least Azriel, Etna, Malphas, and Ned in his bid for freedom.
- Omnicidal Maniac: He turns into this after Sydney Losstarot kicks the bucket. He hasn't recovered from it since and is constantly plotting to make the whole world burn in his name.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: He has been sealed twice, and both sealings (called Banishments) affected the world. He is now actively trying to break free for the third time, and his hatred burns even brighter than ever before.