Characters: Star Wars Rise Of The Empire Era Sith
For the main Star Wars Expanded Universe character index, click here.Sith during the Rise of the Empire Era.
Darth Bane (Dessel)
Star of the Darth Bane trilogy of novels. He destroyed the obsolete original Sith Order and created his own.
- Bald of Evil: He's gone bald from the toxic dusts he breathed in during his youth, while working in the cortosis mines of his homeworld.
- Deadly Upgrade: The orbalisk-armor he wore for ten years. The parasites provided him Nigh-Invulnerability upped by a Healing Factor strong enough to instantly heal lightsaber-cuts, and increased both his physical and Force powers to monstrous levels. However at the same time they were constantly poisoning him, feeding on his Dark Side energies, and caused him to flew into Unstoppable Rages, that completely clouded his mind and judgement.
- Evil Counterpart: He's kind of the anti-Luke Skywalker: both of their mothers died in child-birth. Bane's father was an Abusive Parent, and he was partially responsible for Bane growing up to be a sociopath. Luke's father didn't even know of his existence, and during their first meeting cut off Luke's hand in a duel, and tried to temp him to join The Dark Side. Both Bane and Luke are immensely powerful in the Force. Both have brought around the destruction of the Sith Order of their time. As Bane rebuilt the Sith in accordance with his vision, so did Luke rebuild the Jedi Order. As if trying to lampshade this, when Bane made an appearance in Star Wars: The Clone Wars he was voiced by Mark Hamill.
- Genius Bruiser: He was capable of formulating incredibly complex and long-term plans, manipulating others easily, without even using the Force, and he accumulated an immense wealth by using his facade as a trader. He also happens to be a master lightsaber duelist, and an immensely powerful user of The Dark Side.
- Immortality Seeker: When he feared that Darth Zannah would never become powerful enough to strike him down, he attempted to discover the secret of immortality so that he would live long enough to destroy the Jedi himself. When Zannah found out, she pointed out that this violated the Rule of Two that he himself created.
- Large and In Charge: He was two meters tall, and very muscular in built.
- Laser Blade: He wielded the blade of his Fencing Master's Master.
- Master Swordsman: Effortlessly took on the Jedi Grandmaster and the Jedi Weaponmaster of his time simultaneously. Of course, it helped that most of his body was invulnerable to lightsabers.
- No Body Left Behind: His body was destroyed when he tried to take over Zannah's body.
- Pragmatic Villainy: While Bane's a coldblooded killer, he's not a petty sadist, doesn't kill on a whim, and will spare people's lives if they prove themselves useful.
- Rule of Two: He created the rule that only two Dark Lords of the Sith could exist in any given time: a master and an apprentice.Darth Bane: Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it.
- The Social Darwinist: He's a firm believer of "survival of the fittest". This is part of the Rule of Two: a Sith Lord remains in charge by proving himself the strongest until his apprentice eventually becomes strong enough to defeat him.
- ‹bermensch: Sought to make the Sith Order greater than it was before by destroying it and remaking it with the Rule of Two.
Darth Zannah (Rain)
Originally a homeless orphan discovered by Bane. He noted her great potential in the Force and took her on as his apprentice.
- Bastard Understudy: During most of the Bane-trilogy she was acting as Darth Bane's apprentice.
- Blondes Are Evil: Her blonde hair is mentioned a lot, and she's fallen deeply to the Dark Side.
- Combat Tentacles: She summoned tentacles made of pure Dark Side energy in her final duel against Darth Bane.
- Crippling Overspecialization: Double-fold at that:
- The only lightsaber-style she mastered is the defensive Soresu. This means, that while she can protect herself from almost any opponent, she herself can't go on the offensive until the opponent tires out and/or makes a mistake- and if that doesn't happen she's in a risk of tiring out herself!
- Similarly she only developed her sorcery-related Force-abilities, which as powerful as they are, they take immense concentration to use, leaving her unable to perform them while defending herself in a lightsaber-duel, and conversely unable to defend herself while using them.
- Dark Action Girl
- Disproportionate Retribution: When she found out a woman had slept with her boyfriend, she put her in a permanent coma, forced to suffer nightmares for the rest of her life.
- Double Weapon: Wields a double-bladed lightsaber.
- Evil Sorcerer: More so than other Sith Lords, for Zannah has an innate gift for 'Sith Sorcery'.
- Femme Fatale: She's described as very attractive, and she's perfectly aware of it, using her beauty on numerous occasions to get information from unsuspecting males she encounters.
- I Know What You Fear: See Mind Rape.
- Laser Blade: Her double-bladed lightsaber.
- Mind Rape: One of her skills is being able to bring forth the most terrifying nightmares from a person's subconscious in the form of hallucinations.
- Stone Wall: Zannah is trained in Soresu, a form of lightsaber combat that places heavy emphasis on defense and endurance.
An Iktotchi assassin turned Dark Lord of the Sith, and the apprentice of Darth Zannah.
- Dark Action Girl
- Dreaming of Things to Come: One of her special skills is having incredibly accurate visions of the future in her dreams.
- Dual Wielding
- Horned Humanoid: Comes with being an Iktotchi.
- Knife Nut: Before becoming a Sith Lord, she favored a pair of knives as her main weapons.
- No Name Given: Before taking her Sith name, she was only ever known as 'the Huntress'.
- Power Nullifier: Cognus has an inate talent for disrupting and suppressing other people's ability to use the Force, making Jedi and other Force-users easy prey.
- Professional Killer
- Psycho for Hire
- Slasher Smile: She's very fond of these in Dynasty of Evil.
- Tattooed Crook: Cognus has four black tattoos shaped like lines that run down from her lower lip; when she smiles, they look like fangs.
- Vibroweapon: She wields vibroblades instead of lightsabers as a Sith Lord.
Darth GravidA Sith Lord who was the master of Darth Gean.
- Barrier Warrior: He could create powerful force fields massive enough to shield entire fortresses.
- Light Is Not Good: One of the few lightsided Sith lords. While he did incorporate Jedi teachings of mercy and compassion, ultimately he was driven to madness as he focused on the Light Side, and went fully cuckoo. Also, there's no indication he ever underwent an actual Heel-Face Turn.
- Sanity Slippage: After learning a little about Jedi teachings, he decided to try to integrate them with Sith teachings, but the attempt drove him insane, leading Darth Gean to kill him.
- Spanner in the Works: In his madness, he destroyed several Sith documents, artifacts, and holocrons, setting the Sith cause back. Darth Plagueis mused that the Jedi Order may have been destroyed centuries ago if it hadn't been for him.
Darth GeanA Twi'lek Sith Lord who was the apprentice of Darth Gravid.
- Artificial Limbs: She required a new arm after her final duel with her master.
- Dark Action Girl
- Handicapped Badass: The loss of her arm didn't hamper her fighting abilities and Force powers.
Darth Tenebrous (Rugess Nome)
A Bith Sith Lord with a day job as a starship designer. He was the master of Darth Plagueis.
- And I Must Scream: When Darth Plagueis killed him, he entered his body in virus form. However, after seeing a brief vision of Plagueis being killed, he panicked and exited his body, only to find he was now endlessly reliving his own death.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: A racial trait of the Bith. He could see patterns everywhere and predict future events without having to use his Force abilities. He introduced Hego Demask's parents to each other because he predicted that their child would become a powerful Force Sensitive who would be a worthy apprentice.
- Do Wrong, Right: When Darth Plagueis mortally wounded him, he congratulated him for finally killing him, but then berated him for recklessly putting their ship in danger in the process. If the ship had been destroyed, Plagueis would have been stranded on the planet they were on and the Sith Order would have been finished.
- Equivalent Exchange: He sacrificed his ability to see visions of the future to gain the ability to transfer his consciousness into a retrovirus upon death that could infect and possess others.
- Immortality Seeker: He settled for transferring his consciousness upon death into a retrovirus that could infect and possess others.
- Neck Snap: After he was mortally wounded, Plagueis finished him off with one.
Darth Plagueis (Hego Damask)
A Muun Sith Lord and lobbyist, Darth Plagueis was the apprentice of Darth Tenebrous and the master of Darth Sidious.
- Bald of Evil: Well, he can't help it, Munns don't grow hair.
- The Chessmaster
- Death by Irony: He dies the exact same way many of his "experiments" did: his body cut off from air, the midichlorians living in his cells unable to accomplish his demand of healing him.
- Enfante Terrible: As a child, he used his Force abilities to torment the kids around them and made one jump out a window to his death.
- Healing Factor: His very specific type of seeking immortality. Plagueis has no interest in spending eternity as a Force ghost or a spirit bound to an object or place, and he has no desire to possess the bodies of others or mindless clones; he wants to live forever in the body he was born with. To this end he uses the Force to coerce the midiclorians living in his cells into rejuvenating his body.
- Lean and Mean: As a Muun, Plagueis is naturally tall and thin.
- Morally Bankrupt Banker: Even as a Sith Lord, he had a day-job as a banker.
- Unwitting Pawn: He thought he was the one in charge, but Sidious had been manipulating him from the day they met.
- Villain Protagonist: Of the eponymous novel.
- We Can Rule Together: Unlike previous Sith Lords, Plagueis cares little for Darth Bane's Rule of Two and intends to rule the galaxy alongside his apprentice forever as immortal beings. Unfortunately for him, Sidious had other plans...