Characters: Rondo of Swords
Serdic/AltriusThe crown prince of Bretwalde and hero of the game. With his loyal allies, he aims to restore the kingdom.
- A God Am I: Crowns himself 'Divine Emperor of Bretwalde' after Stage 20 if choosing Path B.
- Break the Cutie: Killing Marie to purify Spanta on Path B has this effect on him, arguably to the point of being a Start of Darkness.
- Captain Ersatz: Serdic/Altrius is a pretty obvious shout out to Fate/stay night's Saber. Both are unwillingly the King of their respective country, they have the EXACT same outfit, carries a holy blade, use their swords as a Wave Motion Gun, both are arguably a one man army, although in Serdic's case he needs to level up a bit first, both are blonde, both have storyline branches that may lead them to release their Super-Powered Evil Side, and whereas Saber is really an obvious woman that everyone mistakes for a man, Serdic/Altrius is a boy that just happens to look really feminine.
- Not to mention that the holy sword itself is uncannily similar to the Gran Centurio as far as its role in the plot goes...
- Chick Magnet: At least three love interests pine for him.
- Dead Person Impersonation: Of the original Serdic.
- Replacement Goldfish: Again, of the original Serdic. Especially in Path B.
- Evil Costume Switch: If you choose the Darker and Edgier path on stage 20.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Throughout the main game, and in Path A.
- Blonde Guys Are Evil: Path B.
- The Hero: Obviously.
- Anti-Hero: Type V as Divine Emperor.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Path B. Goes from a relatively typical example of The Hero to a theocratic dictator calling himself the 'Divine Emperor,' goes from wanting to stop the token Evil Empire to wanting to conquer the Evil Empire, and starts waging a rather brutal scorched earth military campaign against them, all as a result of the aforementioned Break the Cutie from Stage 20. Needless to say, this gets him many a What the Hell, Hero? from the rest of the party.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Serdic's Overbreak attack, combining this with Sword Beam.
- Light Is Not Good/Good Is Not Nice: On the Darker and Edgier path.
- Love Triangle: Gets into one on Path B.
- No Name Given: It is stated at the beginning that the protagonist is an impostor, but on path A, it is later revealed that he could not even remember his own name (or perhaps have one to begin with), so Marie gave him a name.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: To Gauss during Path B.
- Shut Up, Kirk!: To the real Serdic in Path B.
- Tomato in the Mirror: The main character did not have a name because he is a homunculus of the real Serdic.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: As 'Divine Emperor Serdic.'
MarieSerdic's younger sister, the Princess of Bretwalde. She has lived in a monastery in Verona ever since she was a child.
- Crutch Character: A very useful healer that you might use over Yumiluna and Aegil when you get them. Unless you go for B route and resort to the two newly added healers instead.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die/Cynicism Catalyst: In Path B, she becomes this to Serdic.
- Light Is Good
- Light 'em Up
- Plucky Girl
- White Mage
KayA young knight with a passion for justice. He is skilled at hit-and-run tactics, using his mobility to the fullest.
MargusA heavily armored knight with high defensive power. He knows a little about everything and considers himself a ladies' man.
- Blade on a Stick
- Handsome Lech: Margus seems like a Chivalrous Pervert at first, but it becomes apparent that "chivalrous" is giving him a bit too much credit.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: The only other party member (besides Serdic) to use a shield, and by extension, the ZOC skill.
- Mighty Glacier
- Game Breaker: Due to being able to move and attack at the same turn (unlike mages), a lot of players see him as this. Coming early in the game, high damage and long range makes him especially ideal in attacking the enemy spell casters that have equally long range spells like Abyss Gate.
OwlThe leader of a group of bandits known as the The Wise Bandits.
- Freakiness Shame: Some other characters' comments on Alhambra's body (to start with, she does NOT like her animal features and wish them removed). But when she heard Serdic compliment on them (as he was the first out of many later), she was so touched and amused (laughing that it was the first time someone said her ears were cute) that she decided to join him.
- Companion Cube: Not really a shipping, but she joins Serdic's army solely for the chance to take his sword.
- Joke Character: Rukia isn't completely useless if you max out her critical hit rate, but there's not much you can do with her that can't be done better by Alhambra or Owl.
ElmerSelmer's twin brother.
- Evil Twin: Depending on how you play the game. He joins the bad guys, and leads the city's mages against you. Gameplay wise, he can and will kill his twin brother in one hit with his own lightning. But if you manage to get Selmer to talk to him, you can get him to join you. Do note that Elmer's attack range is much higher then Selmer's movement range.
- Jerk Ass
- Shock and Awe
- TsundereElmer: I didn't promote for you!
- Mad Scientist: He just keep thinking about his researches, even in the middle of the battlefield!
- Strange Minds Think Alike: With Alicia. He's just as baffled as you are.
- Cute Witch
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Fille Fatale: She's twelve.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In Route B.
- Squishy Wizard
- The Rival: To Aegil. Not only because her element is Darkness to Aegil's Light, but also in love.
- Berserk Button: Don't call her "Aegy-baby".
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Happily Ever After: Marries Divine Emperor Serdic at the end of Path B.
- Light 'em Up
- Light Is Good
- Little Miss Snarker
- Reasonable Authority Figure: To the church as she doesn't see dark magic as purely evil (the oppression is implied to have happened under someone else's watch)
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Averted, she may be rather cold at times, but she's not that bad. Though she does sort of... er... enable Divine Emperor Serdic in Path B.
- The Rival: Of Igraine. Not only because she's the Pope of the church that opposes the Order of Anrah of which Igraine is a priestess of, but also in romance.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- White Mage
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Accidental Misnaming: Yumiluna have problems remembering people, calling Alberich several different names (which were all wrong in one way or another) among others. It's been implied that she doesn't really forget.
- The Ditz: Yumiluna
- Light 'em Up
- Naughty Nuns: Would advert this if not for two things that move as she breathes.
- White Mage
- Boobs of Steel: Hers are quite visible and she's pretty strong.
- Distaff Counterpart: Apparently she's like a female Arios.
- He's Not My Boyfriend: What do you mean Margus is my boyfriend!? No he isn't! Eh, Kay? No, no! He isn't one either!
- Mutually Exclusive Party Members: With Naji.
- Archer Archetype: He has a longer range than Ansom, but not as strong. Plus, he's available in one of two routes, and he's hard to find/recruit.
- Mutually Exclusive Party Members: With Alicia.
GaussEmperor of Grand Meir and a true warrior. He fights alongside his troops.
- Authority Equals Asskicking
- Blood Knight: Waged war on Bretwalde pretty much because he can.
- The Caligula
- Dual Wielding
- The Emperor
- Dark Is Evil: In Route B, after getting his ass kicked by Divine Emperor Serdic for so long, receives the Evil Counterpart to Spanta due to Light growing so much stronger and threatening to upset the balance between light and darkness. A lot of good, that does him.
- Large And In Charge
- Not So Different: Pulls one of these on Divine Emperor Serdic at the end of Path B. It's kind of true.
- Tin Tyrant
MatthiasCaptain of the 2nd Division and the oldest of the Grands. Known as the the Gold Lion.
AlberichCaptain of the 3rd Division. Known as the Black Lion.
ErnestThe captain of the 4th Division. Known as the Green Lion.
- Bad Boss: Ernest is not only a terrible team player, but his OB is a powerful lightning storm that hits every single unit in the map except himself. How devastating it is to your party depends on how well your party can take a hit, and guess what 95% of Ernest's armies consists of?
- Shock and Awe
- We Used to Be Friends: With Arios. Strangely enough neither has a battle conversation when facing the other.
ClothoThe captain of the 5th Division, a woman who started of as a bandit. Known as the Red Lion.
MephreyuBretwalde's court wizard. After Grand Meir's invasion, his whereabouts are unknown.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Dark Is Evil
- Face-Heel Turn: Yeah, that's where he went.
- Evil Sorcerer
- Obviously Evil: As if the Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette in a black robe wasn't a dead giveaway.
- Religion of Evil: He's the leader of one of these, now.
- Walking Spoiler