Ozy (aka Ozymandias Justin Llewellyn)
A young Northwestern Grey Zen fox boy. Tends towards excessive zen stoicism and Deadpan Snarker-dom.
Tropes associated with Ozy:
- Accessory-Wearing Cartoon Animal
- Animals Lack Attributes: possibly subverted, he get's Scenery Censors whenever he goes bald.
- Artistic Licence Biology: His species, Northwestern Grey Zen fox, was invented. He did once admit to having some traces of Arctic fox in his genes.
- Blue Oni: To Millie's Red.
- Butt Monkey
- Deadpan Snarker
- Happily Adopted: Knew what happened to his mom, but had no desire to search for his biological father, as he considers Llewellyn his real dad and refuses to go with his real dad when he actually did appear.
- Missing Mom: She achieved Nirvana after inventing the perfect flavor of ice cream, since perfection does not fit in with the grand scheme of the universe.
- Nice Hat: Is almost always seen with his top hat, which he got from Llewellyn.
- Only Sane Man
- Parental Abandonment: His dad, who left him and his mom before he was born to become a monk. His mom... Well, see above.
- The Stoic
- The Straight Man: He enjoys a good shenanigan as much as Millie, but refuses to do anything downright stupid.
- Stuffed Into A Trash Can: Thanks to Jeremy.
Millie (aka Millicent Mehitabel Mudd)
An energetic red fox girl. Excitable and rebellious, prone to random acts of destruction, but has a good heart.
Tropes associated with Millie:
- Alliterative Name
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's the only one of Jeremy's victims who ever hit back.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Fiery Redhead
- Fun Personified
- Generation Xerox: Her Mom was apparently exactly like her as a girl.
- Genki Girl
- Not So Different: With Felicia, of all people. Millie herself admits that, aside from the surface personality, both she and Felicia are smart (though it's more of a book-smart sort of intelligence in Felicia's case), competitive, a bit short-tempered, and prone to taking a black-and-white view of the world.
- Red Oni: To Ozy's Blue.
A dragon and Ozy's adoptive father. He appears to be slightly over a century old and is prone to Historical In Jokes, especially ones related to obscure presidents (e.g., he claims to be responsible for William Howard Taft getting stuck in the White House bathtub), as well as bad Zen jokes. He runs for president every four years, despite having seceded from the United States to form the nation of Greater Llewellynland.
Tropes associated with Llewellyn:
- Been There, Shaped History: Has apparently met every major president and was present at John Lennon's memorial service.
- Breakout Character: Much like Bloom County's Opus, he soon became the biggest focus of the strip outside of the kids themselves.
- Bumbling Dad: Subverted. Despite being a bit...okay; a lot strange, he's a very wise and responsible adoptive father for Ozy.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: He's delightfully insane; it's a massive part of his appeal.
- Cool Old Guy
- Draconic Humanoid
- Happily Married: To Mrs. Mudd, according to the final strip.
- Historical In-Joke: Is fond of these, given the fact he's around a century old.
- Only One Name
- Older Than They Look: Slighly more than a century old. At least.
- Relationship Upgrade: Was Mrs. Mudd's closest friend, to the point where he eventually asked her out, and ends up marrying her in the strip's final arc.
- Wacky Parent, Serious Child: He needs Ozy just as much as Ozy needs him.
Ms.Mudd (aka Mililani Minerva Mudd)
Millie's mother, a lawyer and single parent. Although the most normal of the main four characters, she is implied to have been similar to Millie at her age. Also, her "hair" is blue for some reason.
Tropes associated with Ms. Mudd:
- Alliterative Name
- Fully Dressed Cartoon Animal: Before she was redesigned as a Barefoot Cartoon Animal.
- Happily Married: See above.
- Mama Bear: When her daughter has truly been wronged, she will do something about it, even when it's an uphill battle.
- Not So Above It All: On occasion she seems to approve of her daughter's antics, and it's all but stated she was pretty similar at her age.
- One Name Only: Until October 2008, near the end of the strip's run, when her full name was finally revealed.
- The One Who Wears Shoes: Until one of DC Simpson's periodic re-designs, when she became a Barefoot Cartoon Animal like most of the other characters.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
A raccoon child prone to mindless following of pop-cultural trends.
Tropes associated with Avery:
- Does Not Understand Sarcasm
- Follow the Leader: Follows every trend and ad blindly, to the point it's the whole of his personality.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal
- Heel Realization: While not certainly a bad person, realized in his final appearances that he'd wasted his entire elementary school life trying to be cool, and that coolness is only admitting you're a loser.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Felicia noticed him, and hinted she liked him in their final appearance.
- Small Name, Big Ego
- Vomit Discretion Shot: In a strip when he tries smoking.
Avery's younger brother, who radiates Incorruptible Pure Pureness. (It helps that he's four years old.)
Tropes associated with Timulty:
A "dread pirate" fox who lives in a Magical Land inside Llewellyn's couch, and is subject to Merlin Sickness. He's also Millie's father.
Tropes associated with Captain Locke:
- Disappeared Dad: Millie's, for obvious reasons.
- Fully Dressed Cartoon Animal
- Merlin Sickness: An odd variant that boomerangs back around just in time for him to hang out with Millie's own kids.
- The One Who Wears Shoes: He's never seen without his pirate boots. (Except in an early arc where he impersonates Millie.)
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Not always, sometimes the piracy business is just slow.
- Surrounded by Idiots
- Walking Spoiler
A snobby sheep girl who's obsessed with being popular. She treats Ozy and Millie disdainfully until her Character Development in later strips.
Tropes associated with Felicia:
- Alpha Bitch
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Probably the only literal example in all of fiction.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She becomes a little more sympathetic and self-aware as the strip progresses.
- Girl Posse
- Goth: Later in the strip's run. She stopped for a while after it became too hard but then picked it back up until near the end of the strip.
- Perky Goth: Was so peppy about being one that the Middle School Goths rejected her.
- Ship Tease: With Avery in her final appearance.
A Jerk Jock rabbit who seems to live to stuff Ozy into trash cans—although that doesn't stop him from asking Ozy to do his homework for him. He's also attacked other kids (including Millie) a time or two.
Tropes associated with Jeremy:
- Jerk Jock
- Karma Houdini: He hits Millie, stuffs Ozy and other kids in trash cans, and is generally a bully. The one time he actually pays for it is when Isolde is around to protect Ozy.
- Killer Rabbit: Not literally, but Simpson made him a rabbit "because that seemed funny".
- Stuffed Into A Trash Can: One of his favorite tactics.
- Would Hit a Girl: Millie, who returns the favor because he's finally pushed her too far.
A truly epic geek. Simpson created him to satirize the emerging cyber culture's "sense of entitlement and superiority".
Tropes associated with Stephan:
- Bumbling Dad: His dad was watching a Doctor Who marathon and didn't notice Stephan was missing for a week until Stephan came back.
- Cannot Talk to Women
- The Cracker
- Demoted to Extra: He used to be a much bigger part of the comic. The cartoonist explains that he was created to represent the overly confident geeks of the dotcom era; when the dotcom bubble burst, there simply wasn't as much of a place for him.
- Future Badass: Thinks he'll be a millionaire and show everyone who mocked him. Or at least he did before the Dot-com bubble crashed and toned him down a bit.
- Hopeless Suitor: Has had crushes on Felicia, Isolde, and Stephanie. They never pan out.
- Proud to Be a Geek
- Species Surname
An nerdy, sarcastic aardvark girl who becomes Stephan's Love Interest.
Tropes associated with Stephanie:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: She likes Jeremy. Need we say more?
- Brainy Brunette
- Brother Chuck
- Deadpan Snarker
- Distaff Counterpart: To Stephan, as shown in this strip.
- Fun T-Shirt: It has a peace sign on it.
Llewellyn's niece, Ozy's cousin, and an aspiring reporter. Often helps Llewellyn with his plans and babysits Ozy and Millie.
Tropes associated with Isolde:
- Draconic Humanoid
- Fully Dressed Cartoon Animal
- Glasses Girl: Although her personality is atypical for the trope.
- Intrepid Reporter
- Noodle Incident: Accidentally sneeze-fried Ozy three times while babysitting him.
- The One Who Wears Shoes: Though oddly enough, the dress she wore to the wedding didn't seem to include any.