"For it was the first snow of the season. And as any child can tell you, there's a certain magic in the very first snow."When water evaporates it turns into water vapor, and when it condenses it becomes rain. But if the right conditions are met, with the biggest factor being the temperature, it can turn into something magical. White petals of rain falling gently from the sky. Snow. When a character experiences snow for the first time they may feel joy and wonder, or in some occasions, fear. A Snowball Fight is a common way of showing they have gotten used to snow. When it lasts all winter, see Dreaming of a White Christmas. When it's totally out of ordinary, see Let There Be Snow. See also First Time in the Sun, which may coincide.
The Narrator, Frosty the Snowman
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Eye Of The Fox Kira reveals he has no idea what snow is when he sees it outside his window and flatly replies that it never snowed in Fire Country and that he spent four years in a coma when Naruto/Rad calls him out on this. He quickly comes to dislike the cold, though.
- In What's In A Name, Reiner Schnee fondly remembers his daughter's First Snow because it was the first time she said 'Papa'.
- In The Fountain, the wife asking to go for a walk in the First Snow is the Book End of the film.
- In Ice Age 3, Manny and Ellie's baby Peaches sees snow pretty soon after her birth. Well, it IS the ice age, after all!
- The Land Before Time VIII: The Big Freeze
- "What's this? What's this?"
- In the 2006 film First Snow, directed by Mark Fergus and starring Guy Pearce.
- In How The Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, Yolanda sees snow for the first time and thinks it is fallout from a nuclear bomb.
- Snow Lion, By David Mc Phail.
- In The Giver, Jonas is very confused upon seeing snow for the first time (because he's used to total climate control).
- In To Kill a Mockingbird, Scout's amusing reaction to seeing snow for the first time in Alabama is thinking it's the end of the world.
- In Warrior Cats's Fire and Ice, Fireheart is amazed because he hasn't seen it before; he was shut inside as a kitten when still living with humans. He quickly learns that snow makes it difficult to move around, however.
- In The Darkest Hour, Fireheart is out with his apprentice Bramblepaw when it begins to snow. Bramblepaw chases the snowflakes gleefuly, and Fireheart wonders whether Bramblepaw's evil father Tigerstar ever played with snowflakes.
- Even Yellowfang experienced her first snow and...actually disliked it. The snow kept her already-long fur waterlogged and heavy.
- Twilight's Bella Swan first experiences snow shortly after she moves to Forks with her father. Her first thought? "Eww."
- Drizzt from the Forgotten Realms novels didn't even know what snow was, being a subterranean-born dark elf. He initially found it beautiful, but quickly caught on that it could pose a problem for wilderness survival when he realized the white stuff falling from above was covering the ground and wasn't going away.
- In A Song of Ice and Fire, by the end of A Dance With Dragons, snow is starting to fall in the South - heralding the beginning of a winter predicted to be years long, and everyone is terrified because the situation is so dire from the wars.
- Inverted in the Ciaphas Cain series: Valhallans hail from an iceworld, and are generally quite inexperienced with rain. As Guardsmen almost never get to return to their homeworlds, they absolutely adore snowy conditions - while Cain, who grew up in a climate-controlled hive world of unknown identity, pulls his greatcoat tighter and wonders how he pissed off the Emperor this time.
Live Action TV
- In The Sims 2: Seasons, any player-controlled sim upon seeing snow for the first time will get a memory about it ("Saw First Snow").
- In RealMyst, Atrus's notes on Rime reveal he'd never encountered such a cold Age before it, and had to come up with new devices to cope with its unfamiliar weather conditions.
- In the Avalon Tour story arch for Gargoyles Angela comments on how breathtaking snow and ice are when they land in Norway, having lived her whole life on an island where it was always summer. Gargoyle, it seems, have a higher tolerance for low temperatures than humans.
- On Jimmy Two-Shoes, Heloise builds a Weather Control Machine to make it snow in Miseryville. Lucius is confused until he realizes it can make people miserable.
- One episode in Spongebob Squarepants is about a glacier moving over Bikini Bottom, causing it to snow. All other hijinks aside, Plankton tries to use the power of the water crystals to rule the world, only to be completely covered in it.