"For it was the first snow of the season. And as any child can tell you, there's a certain magic that comes with the very first snow."When water evaporates it turns into water vapor, and when it condenses it becomes rain. But if the right conditions are met, with the biggest factor being the temperature, it can turn into something magical. White petals of rain falling gently from the sky. Snow. When a character experiences snow for the first time they may feel joy and wonder, or in some occasions, fear. A Snowball Fight is a common way of showing they have gotten used to snow. When it lasts all winter, see Dreaming of a White Christmas. When it's totally out of the ordinary, see Let There Be Snow. See also First Time in the Sun, which may coincide.
— The Narrator, Frosty the Snowman
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Eye Of The Fox Kira reveals he has no idea what snow is when he sees it outside his window and flatly replies that it never snowed in Fire Country and that he spent four years in a coma when Naruto/Rad calls him out on this. He quickly comes to dislike the cold, though.
- In What's In A Name, Reiner Schnee fondly remembers his daughter's First Snow because it was the first time she said 'Papa'.
Films — Animated
- Bambi provides the page image/caption.
- In Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Manny and Ellie's baby Peaches sees snow pretty soon after her birth. Well, it IS the ice age, after all!
- The Land Before Time VIII: The Big Freeze
- "What's this? What's this? There's white things in the air!"
Films — Live-Action
- In The Fountain, the wife asking to go for a walk in the First Snow is the Bookend of the film.
- In the 2006 film First Snow, directed by Mark Fergus and starring Guy Pearce.
- Played for Laughs in Cool Runnings, about the first ever Jamaican bobsled team at the Winter Olympics. The four young men had never experienced winter before, and promptly complained about the cold as soon as they arrived in Calgary.
- In How The Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, Yolanda and her family moved to New York City from the Dominican Republic in the 60's. When she sees snow for the first time, she thinks it's fallout from a nuclear bomb.
- Snow Lion, By David Mc Phail.
- In The Giver, Jonas is very confused upon seeing snow for the first time (because he's used to total climate control).
- In To Kill a Mockingbird, Scout's amusing reaction to seeing snow for the first time in Alabama is thinking it's the end of the world.
- Warrior Cats:
- In Fire And Ice, Fireheart is amazed because he hasn't seen it before; he was shut inside as a kitten when still living with humans. He quickly learns that snow makes it difficult to move around, however.
- In The Darkest Hour, Fireheart is out with his apprentice Bramblepaw when it begins to snow. Bramblepaw chases the snowflakes gleefuly, and Fireheart wonders whether Bramblepaw's evil father Tigerstar ever played with snowflakes.
- Even Yellowfang experiences her first snow in Yellowfang's Secret and actually dislikes it. She believes that the snow keeps her already-long fur waterlogged and heavy.
- Twilight's Bella Swan first experiences snow shortly after she moves to Forks with her father. Her first thought? "Eww."
- Drizzt from the Forgotten Realms novels didn't even know what snow was, being a subterranean-born dark elf. He initially found it beautiful, but quickly caught on that it could pose a problem for wilderness survival when he realized the white stuff falling from above was covering the ground and wasn't going away.
- In A Song of Ice and Fire, by the end of A Dance With Dragons, snow is starting to fall in the South - heralding the beginning of a winter predicted to be years long, and everyone is terrified because the situation is so dire from the wars.
- Inverted in the Ciaphas Cain series: Valhallans hail from an iceworld, and are generally quite inexperienced with rain. As Guardsmen almost never get to return to their homeworlds, they absolutely adore snowy conditions - while Cain, who grew up in a climate-controlled hive world of unknown identity, pulls his greatcoat tighter and wonders how he pissed off the Emperor this time.
- Buck from The Call of the Wild is a dog from sunny California, so it surprises him when he sees snow for the first time when he comes to the Yukon. He starts trying to taste the fallen snow and trying to catch it when the humans laugh at the sight of him, making him feel ashamed.
Live Action TV
- In The Sims 2: Seasons, any player-controlled sim upon seeing snow for the first time will get a memory about it ("Saw First Snow").
- In RealMyst, Atrus's notes on Rime reveal he'd never encountered such a cold Age before it, and had to come up with new devices to cope with its unfamiliar weather conditions.
- In Tales of the Questor, Quentyn goes from freaked out to "Kid On Christmas Morning" excited when he experiences his first snowfall (His homeland is too temperate for snow).
- In Misfile, Rumisiel experiences snowfall (from below the cloud line) for the first time while staying in Tempest.
- In The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob, artificial creature Molly is delighted at her first snowfall. She promptly runs outside to play in it and make fully-functioning steam-powered robots out of it.
- In the Avalon Tour story arch for Gargoyles Angela comments on how breathtaking snow and ice are when they land in Norway, having lived her whole life on an island where it was always summer. Gargoyle, it seems, have a higher tolerance for low temperatures than humans.
- On Jimmy Two-Shoes, Heloise builds a Weather-Control Machine to make it snow in Miseryville. Lucius is confused until he realizes it can make people miserable.
- One episode in Spongebob Squarepants is about a glacier moving over Bikini Bottom, causing it to snow. All other hijinks aside, Plankton tries to use the power of the water crystals to rule the world, only to be completely covered in it.
- The 1998 UK special The First Snow of Winter, about a duckling who fails to fly south and experiences snow for the first time..
- Timothy Goes to School has an installment, "The Big Snowfall," in which Lilly experiences the joys of her first snow day, having moved from a climate where it was warm and never snowed.
- Super Noobs: The episode "Let it Noob, Let it Noob, Let it Noob" has aliens Memnock and Zenblock experience snow for then first time in their lives as their home planet never has snowfall. They freak out over it, prompting the Noobs to help Memnock and Zenblock get used to the snow by having them engage in a snowball fight with each other.
- In an episode of The Lion Guard, Kion and the Lion Guard escort two goofy gorilla brothers to their mountain home, which is completely covered in snow and ice. Being African animals of the savanna, they're at first amazed at the snow and what it is before they actually enjoy it.
- In Yogi's First Christmas, snow is among the things that are new to the normally-hibernating Yogi and Boo-Boo.
- Just one word: Kittens. And snow. And lots of laughter.
- How about this stoat?
- Australians See Snow For The First Time: A Buzzfeed video where the website sent a few people from their Australian office to the United States to experience their first snowy winter. The lone girl in the group even admitted that she only owned a single pair of full pants because it's never cold where she lives.