Timothy Goes to School main castnote Timothy Goes To School
is a childrens' animated program that ran from 2000 to 2004. A Nelvana
show, it follows the day-to-day life of Timothy, a 5-year-old raccoon who attends Kindergarten, and the rest of his classmates. Once seen on PBS Kids
Bookworm Bunch, it later aired on Discovery Kids until sometime before it was replaced by The Hub
. Most if not all installments of the series are available on DVD. Some were U.S. releases, others were in Canada, which makes them region 1, but potentially challenging to find.
This cartoon provides examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Grace can be this.
- An Aesop: Every episode has one.
- Animated Adaptation: Of Rosemary Wells's Timothy Goes to School, and Yoko & Friends books, which cast Yoko as the main character. Additionally, at least two other stories, "The Mess Fairy" and "Shy Charles," are based directly on original Rosemary Wells books.
- Argument Of Contradictions: In "Rocky Friendship," Fritz and Charles have an argument that eventually descends into this when they each find a rock at the same time and are unsuccessful in sharing it.
- Timothy and Fritz have one in "Abracadabra" after Fritz accuses Timothy of teaching Grace his magic trick, until Grace puts a stop to it by revealing that she peeked at Fritz's book.
- Birds of a Feather: Timothy & Yoko, Charles & Lily, and Claude & Grace tend to hang around each other a lot.
- The Bully: Claude is a much Lighter and Softer variant, especially in the first episode.
- Call Back: When Fritz moves away, two of the characters give him artwork that match their art style displayed in "Paint by Numbers."
- Disappeared Dad: Yoko and Lily.
- Edutainment Show
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: It's about a raccoon named Timothy who goes to school.
- Expressive Ears: Certainly Timothy, possibly some of the other characters as well
- Free Prize at the Bottom: In one episode, Nora decided to forego her normal breakfast cereal in favor of something called "Weeds and Seeds" so that she could get the prize of emerald slippers at the bottom as a birthday present for Yoko. And she was such a good little girl that she actually ate the stuff, only to find that to her disappointment, there was only one slipper, and it was some dinky little thing. Her mother suggested making a necklace out of it and she did, but thought her gift was lame and didn't want to give it to Yoko at first. When she finally did, Yoko was delighted, as the slipper was the mate to one that she already had.
- Funny Animals
- Half Dressed Cartoon Animals: The male cast, except Charles and Timothy when he wore suspenders in the first episode.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Alyson Court, aka Claire Redfield from Resident Evil, is Nora!
- Huge Girl Tiny Guy: Doris and Charles in "Paint By Numbers" and "Measuring Up".
- I Do Not Like Green Eggs and Ham: How the other kids felt about Yoko's oriental cuisine, such as sushi and red bean ice-cream.
- Limited Wardrobe: With the exception of the stuff in the first episode with Claude and Timothy wearing special clothes for the first two days of school, and winter clothing / special events, the characters are always shown wearing the same clothes to school.
- Missing Mom: Frank & Frank, and Claude.
- Never Say "Die": In "Lifesaver Lily", Doris begins to suggest that Goldie the goldfish might be dead, but is interrupted by Lily coming in with Goldie before she says it.
- One Steve Limit: Averted: The Franks have the same name, as does their father.
- The One Who Wears Shoes: Lily and Mrs Jenkins.
- Put on a Bus: Fritz, but the bus comes back.
- Recap Episode: "Many Happy Returns"
- The Runt at the End: Charles in class; Doris at home.
- Slice of Life
- Start My Own: "The Treefort and the Sandcastle"
- Surprise Party: In "Mama, Don't Go," new girl Juanita at Hilltop School doesn't want her mama to leave. The surprise party is how Juanita is eventually convinced to let her mother leave— it's her mother's birthday and the class needs her to leave so that they can put together a surprise party for her. Juanita actually tells her mother straight-up that she needs to leave for a while and then come back so that they can surprise her.
- Take a Third Option: Fritz and Charles find a strange rock at the same time; Fritz wants it for his collection, whilst Charles wants to build a castle with it. They spend most of the episode bickering about it, but they eventually decide to use it together.
- Talent Contest: One is held in "Talent Show." Timothy is assigned to be the Master of Ceremonies and when Grace gets hurt, she becomes his assistant.
- Talking Animal
- Theme Tune Cameo: The show's theme tune is used for the "Welcome Song" performed in the show's premiere episode.
- Title Theme Tune: "Anything can happen when Timothy goes to school!"
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Doris and Grace, when they go to dancing classes together.
- You, Get Me Coffee: When Timothy decides to work with Claude for a team project, Claude asks him to do the sweeping up and doesn't let him do any of the work on the project.