open/close all folders
Governor-general of New Ostia. He introduced himself to Negi by taunting him and starting a fight in the streets. He apparently knows a lot about Negi's parents, as well as info concerning what happened during the war, including some things that even Jack Rakan admits to not knowing. He is an expert at Shinmeiryu swordplay, being Eishun's apprentice, as well as being something of a genius.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: A Senator, who fought alongside Ala Rubra and is exceptionally powerful and skilled.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: always wearing a snazzy business suit, to boot.
- Becoming the Mask: He was unambiguously heroic 20 years ago. In the meantime, he infiltrated the corrupt senate, to find out more about and stop their villainy... but took on many more villainous characteristics, such as being a Smug Snake and exhibiting Fantastic Racism to an incredible degree.
- Crack Pairing: In-Universe in a manner of speaking: The finale suggest that he eventually gets married to Satomi Hakase, of all people. They never even met in the manga, though a note written on the class roster in chapter 351 suggests that Negi was planning to contact Kurt about Satomi after scouting her for his plan. He seems to have inadvertently played matchmaker.
- Evil Chancellor: Subverted. He certainly acts villainous at first, but he's actually just a dickish Well-Intentioned Extremist. His claims that he was responsible for the destruction of Negi's village are actually just a ruse to get Negi to view the Senate as an enemy and make him more pliable.
- Fantastic Racism: Subverted. At first it appears that he only cares about the 67 million humans in Megalomesembria, but it actually turns out he was just being ruthlessly practical: He knew of no way to save anyone besides them.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Turns out to be a Subverted Trope later on - Godel's just incredibly, pragmatically cynical.
- Heel–Face Turn: After being beaten by Negi and then being beaten up again by Takamichi, he appears to accept his loss and starts backing Negi and Ala Alba.
- He Who Fights Monsters: He was clearly a good guy twenty years ago. Haruna identifies him as this trope immediately after seeing a flashback to that time.
- Hopeless Suitor: Has been in love with Arika ever since he was a kid, according to Nodoka's artifact, but she fell in love with Nagi.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Unless his implied future wife Satomi Hakase grew much during the time skip, she's much shorter than him.
- Humiliation Conga: After he fails to turn Negi to his side, just about every member of Negi's team that's present either attacks Kurt, or does something to further ruin his plans.
- I Shall Taunt You: How he greeted Negi, and more or less every other line he ever uttered. It always works.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: He manages to cut Negi, even though Negi is made of lightning. He's a Shinmeiryuu swordsman.
- Insufferable Genius: He's identified as a genius, and is extremely smug about it.
- Jerkass: To be fair, his heart is in the right place. But does he have to be such a dick about it?
- Martyr Without a Cause: Possibly. According to Nodoka's artifact, he himself was not involved in the attack on Negi's village. However, Godel says that he has no intention of running from his sins and promises, once everything is over, to let Negi beat him to death if that's what it takes to satisfy Negi's desire for revenge.
- May–December Romance: See Crack Pairing above. Though they didn't meet then, Godel is likely to have been at least twice Hakase's age when she was in Junior High. After the time skip ending it's implied they got married.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: Played with. He uses a tiny splinter of stone cutting his cheek as an excuse to "defend himself."
- Smug Snake: He appears as this, but it turns out that it's an act, and he can kick Negi's ass.
- Teen Genius: Apparently one of these during his time with Ala Rubra... he was described as 'good at everything', and he taught himself Shinmeiryuu swordsmanship through mere observation before finally convincing Eishun to take him as an apprentice.
- Thanatos Gambit: He implies that whatever his plans were, it would come to fruition when Negi kills him. Unfortunately for him, Negi Out-Gambitted him by selecting his Genre Savvy confidant (Chisame) and a mind reader (Nodoka), both of which don't like to fight, and another noncombatant (Kazumi) as the three partners Godel let him bring.
- Understatement: 'If you're reading this, I suppose our little meeting didn't go very well' accompanied by a cheerful grin. This is after slicing up 'Asuna's' shoulder and inflicting wounds on Negi including a blow that removed his limbs, which was only temporary due to Negi being in lightning form.
- We Can Rule Together: He apparently wants Negi to restore his beloved Arika's name and honor in the Magic World. Then again, it's Godel we're talking about.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Knows he can't save every living thing in the Magic World, so he instead opts to just save the humans in Megalomesembria, since they have physical, non-magic bodies and wouldn't survive when the Magic World disappears and drops them on Mars.
The third Imperial Princess of the Hellas Empire and seems to serve as their primary diplomat. While publicly she appears refined and quiet, when she's away from the crowds and cameras she's quite the glompy Genki Girl. Furthermore, she is one of the strongest allies of Ala Rubra after they rescued her when she and Arika were imprisoned together.
- Absolute Cleavage: Her most well known outfit leaves her entire middle exposed. The main source of support with the clothes seems to be prayers and good fortune.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her clothing covers very little. Naturally, her stomach is not included.
- Beneath the Mask: She acts refined and quiet in public, when she's away from the crowds and cameras she's a Tomboy Princess and Genki Girl.
- Cute Monster Girl: She has horns.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Foreigner version, not a ditz.
- Foreign Fanservice: As of chapter 239. The outfit she's wearing under that cloak - wow.
- Genki Girl: Nearly always chipper and positive.
- Hopeless Suitor: Word of God states that she wants to marry Rakan, but he still sees her as a child.
- Horned Humanoid: She has horns on the back of her head that curl around her skull.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Jack Rakan is much bigger than her. This likely contributes her willingness Piggyback Cute with him as much as possible.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Yes, the bared midriff and Absolute Cleavage are nice but... how on Earth you are avoiding a Wardrobe Malfunction with that one lady?
- May–December Romance: She's 30, and her object of affection (Jack Rakan) is 50-60. Though given that they're both slow aging races, it's equivalent to a 15 year old teenager crushing on a 25-30 year old man. One way, since Jack met her as a child, and still sees her as one.
- Older Than She Looks: She's 30, but looks like in her early 20's.
- Overly Long Name: Her full name is Theodora Basileia Helladis de Vesperisszimia.
- Politically Active Princess: The primary diplomat of the Hellas Empire and known as the "voice of a country".
- Rapunzel Hair: She has very long hair.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: A diplomat and implied to be a fairly powerful mage as well. As the third Imperial princess, however, she is unlikely to inherit the throne.
- She Is All Grown Up: Was a cute young girl in the backstory, is now an adult and absolutely hot. Even Kotarou is stunned at the difference.
- Tomboy Princess: According to Rakan, which she takes slight offense to. To be fair, she really isn't very ladylike when not working.
- Tsurime Eyes: Her eyes are notably sharp.
- Underboobs: Yes, she managed to have Underboobs, Bare Your Midriff, and Absolute Cleavage all on the same outfit.
- Uptown Girl: A princess in love with the commoner warrior and once slave Rakan.
The current General Secretary of the Order of Magical Knights, Headmistress of Ariadne Girls Academy. She had field command of the Ariadne Magical Knights (at least) during the climactic final battle of the war, 20 years ago.
- Fangirl: Probably one of the very first Nagi ever had.
- Horned Humanoid: She has two medium-sized horns sprouting from her temples that sweep towards the back of her head and flare out at the ends
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have!: She's old enough to have a few wrinkles around her eyes and lips, yet she's still extremely hot.
- Older and Wiser: She helps Negi train for his bout with Rakan.
- Rapunzel Hair: It's down to mid-thigh at least.
Jean Luc Ricardo
Authorized Legislative Councilor of Megalomesembria
One of the few members of the Megalomesembrian Imperial Army who supported the Ala Rubra in the siege at Gatekeeper's Palace. He was Captain of the Imperial Flagship Svanhvit before attaining his current post in the Megalomesembrian Council.
- Anime Hair: It looks like a starfish. And yes, it's like that naturally, says Akamatsu-sensei.
- Carpet of Virility: Sports this, as seen during Negi and Kotarou's training in Mundus Magicus.
- Hot-Blooded: is hardly ever calm, instead opting to shout.
- Law of Conservation of Detail: During the opening of the Tournament, Ricardo and Theodora symbolicaly shook hands as representatives of their respective nations.
- Older and Wiser: He helps Negi and Kotarou train for their bout with Rakan.
- Shout-Out: Look at his name.
Blazing Rumbling Trucker
A truck driver who gives Yuna and Makie a ride to Ostia from the oasis town they were stranded in by Cosmo Entelecheia. Since developing a fondness for the girls on the way there, he's decided to stick with Ala Alba and help them save the world.
- Heroic Bystander: He's just an ordinary trucker, but even after seeing Cosmo Entelecheia raze the Governor's Ball and presumably kill everyone attending, he didn't think twice about going against them.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He flies his ship in the way of Quartum's massive Flaming Sword attack, gets cut down, and is promptly erased.Jonny: Just...gotta protect the girls.
- Shout-Out: His name is a shout out to Gundam.
Aisha, Kristian, Lynn and Craig
Four adventurers who take Nodoka under their wing upon her arrival to the Magical World.
- Badass Bookworm: Craig and Aisha.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Lynn.
- Big Brother Instinct: Craig's feelings toward Nodoka.
- Love Dodecahedron: Kristian likes Aisha, Aisha likes Craig, Craig is overly protective of Nodoka because she reminds him of a childhood friend that he's still in love with and may have a crush on Nodoka as well.
- Shout-Out: All four are named after characters from James P. Hogan's novel Inherit the Stars.
- Squishy Wizard: Aisha.
- Taking the Bullet: Craig and Aisha are among the first victims of Cosmo Entelechia in their efforts to protect Nodoka.
- Unusual Ears: Aisha and Lynn.
A leader and manager of the local fighting arena, and the one who owns Ako, Akira and Natsumi after they sell themselves into slavery in order to get medicine. A complete Jerk Ass... okay, maybe not complete.
- Battle Aura: He scares off his friends when they want to take advantage of Ako's Take Me Instead attitude with this.
- Driven by Envy: Hinted to be why he's such a Jerk Ass. He also was a slave, and it took him almost twenty years to get free. Since Negi and Kotaro are buying the girls's freedom in less of a month via winning the Tournament, he's jealous like Hell.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Beats up Negi when he says he can't win against Rakan.
- Go Out with a Smile: A bitter one, but still.
- Hidden Depths: At one point, Ako and Akira burst in on him while he's reading a book of poetry by Charles Baudelaire. This doubles as a Genius Bonus.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: His interactions with Ako in particular are the best indication of this Character Development.
- Kick the Dog: He gave quite the use to the electric collars that the slave girls wore. He promptly got his ass kicked by Negi and Mama Bear. And later, upon learning who Negi truly was, he tried to blackmail him into becoming his slave.
- Pet the Dog: Tosaka also does this, mainly by refusing Ako's Take Me Instead offer, telling Negi that his mom Arika was a Messianic Archetype and not a traitor and ultimately sacrificing his life for Ako.
- Taking the Bullet: Saves Ako's life by taking a hit of the anti-matter cannons and disappearing right in front of her.
A huge, stern, good-hearted beast woman who is in charge of the slave girls and owns a tavern. Tought but kind, she budgers the girls into working real hard, but also protects them devotedly when her old friend Tohsaka bullies them.
- Almighty Mom and Apron Matron: Very motherly to those in her care, and always seen in her apron. And HEAVEN HELP anyone who ever upsets her.
- Bears Are Bad News: Averted, she's a good bear person. Played straight if you threaten her wards, though: She'll have NO mercy.
- I Was Quite a Looker: A flashback to her, Tosaka and the big guy's past shows that when she was young she was less, 'big full on furry bear woman' and more 'good looking girl who appeared mostly human but with bear's ears'.
- Mama Bear: It's in the name and the fur.
- Meido: She's dressed like one, wearing a short frilly dress and Zettai Ryouiki under the apron.
- Parental Substitute: She doesn't have kids, but takes care of the slave kids as if they were so.
- Petting Zoo People: Basically a big, slightly anthropomorphic bear lady.
- Self-Made Woman: Or better said, Self Made Bear Woman.
- Shipper on Deck: Encouraged Tohsaka to dance with Ako, and also ships Kotaro/Natsumi.
- Taking the Bullet: For Kotaro and Natsumi.
- Tsundere: One moment, she's exigent but affectionate. The other, she will wreck anyone going past her limits
- Zettai Ryouiki: A type A, between her short skirt and her thigh high socks.
A beast girl who is among the top students of a magic school in Ariadne. Quite arrogant at first; when Yue Ayase arrives she treats her rather badly, but they become friends after they have to work together to defeat a griffin dragon...
Voiced by: Ayana Taketatsu (Japanese)
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Blonde hair and dark skin.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: She dies, or better said, was written out of reality, in the arms of Yue.
- Everyone Can See It: Her obvious crush on Yue is very easily figured out by her friends, and even by Yue herself.
- Fangirl: Of Nagi Springfield.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Yue.
- Generation Xerox: Her mom is a Fangirl of Nagi Springfield, too.
- Girlish Pigtails: Pigtails for a Tsundere.
- Go Out with a Smile: She dies smiling.
- Homoerotic Subtext: With Yue. Post Magic World arc, it's so thick that even Yue is getting suspicious. That said, Emily is still a huge Nagi fangirl.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: under the brash exterior, she is quite friendly.
- Kemonomimi: Sheep ears.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Kinda snobbish and treats Yue rather badly at the start. But she's also more naive and goodhearted than she lets people see.
- Magic Knight: studying to be one
- The Rival: Insists that she is Yue's rival. Not her friend, oh no.
- Senseless Sacrifice: The attack that she protected Yue from only works on beings native to the Magical World.
- Taking the Bullet: For Yue.
- Tsundere: She actually considers Yue a close friend, but never in front of anyone but Bea.
- Tsurime Eyes: Sharp eyes for a Tsundere.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Standard part of the Magic Academy uniform.
Ariadne Battle Maiden Knight Squad Cadet
Another student from the Magic Academy, she's the first one that Yue interacts with. Also, she is the one who caused Yue's loss of memory, by accidentally hitting her with a spell.
Voiced by: Satomi Sato (Japanese)
- The Atoner: She feels really bad about giving Yue amnesia, and compensates by taking her in and helping her out at every opportunity. She eventually comes clean to her about what happened.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Not normally, but when she sees Yue talking to her friends from Mahora she has a rather large outburst about it, leading to some interesting implications.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Light hair and dark skin.
- The Ditz: She is rather ditzy, but she appears to actually obtain a surprising level of competency after working together with Yue.
- Fangirl: Another Nagi fan.
- Kemonomimi: Her ears look like dog ears.
- Lovely Angels: With Yue.
- Magic Knight: in training
- Meganekko: through not a brainy one (but levels up a bit with Yue around)
- Tareme Eyes: Her round eyes.
- Zettai Ryouiki while in school uniform
Ariadne Battle Maiden Knight Squad Cadet
Emily's bodyguard and childhood friend. Their relationship is similar to Konoka and Setsuna if you don't add the Yuri overtones.
Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa (Japanese)
- Battle Butler: For Emily Sevensheep.
- Childhood Friends: With Emily.
- Empty Eyes: Her eyes never reflect highlights.
- Fangirl: A Rakan fan, unlike her mistress.
- Flower in Her Hair: She wears a flower in the left side of her hair.
- Not So Stoic: When Emily dies she, along with Yue, falls into a Berserker Rage.
- The Quiet One: Rarely speaks.
- Satellite Character: Or she was until she actually had some success against the Cosmo Entelecheia demons.
- The Stoic: Rarely emotes.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Stoic and quiet, but still a good and loyal friend to Emily.
- Taking the Bullet: Saves Yue from one of Fate's petrification darts, which turns her into stone too.
- Tsurime Eyes: Her eyes are notably sharp.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is blue.
- Zettai Ryouiki: If you haven't noticed by now.
Luna's elder sister
The elder sister of Luna aka Shiori. A young woman living with her sister in a small village of mind-readers in a mountainous region of the Magical World.
- Disposable Woman: Not even named, she basically gives Fate a source of backstory.
- Florence Nightingale Effect: One day, while flying Fate's core started to fail and he fell from the sky. Luna's sister found him and took care of him for three days until he recovered. This and her delicious coffee made Fate fond of her.
- From Bad to Worse: Guess why her entry has so many spoilers.
- Hair Decorations: A simple ribbon. Her sister apparently wears the same in the present as a Tragic Keepsake.
- Hidden Eyes: Her eyes are always covered by shadow.
- Implied Love Interest: Considering the way he usually is, Fate treated her well and she's the reason for his fondness of coffee. It isn't made clear if his feelings for her were romantic, but he did care about her and her death enraged him enough to kill Secundum.
- Kill the Cutie: She was killed somehow or other.
- The Lost Lenore: Implied to be this to Fate. It's hinted she's the reason he took up the "hobby" of picking up war orphans.
- Nice Girl: She was kind, helpful and selfless.
- No Name Given: Never referred to by name.
- Pointy Ears: She has long, elf-like ears like her sister.
- Posthumous Character: Appears only in Fate's flashbacks, which conclude with her death.
- Promotion to Parent: Implied. We never see her and Luna's parents.
- Rapunzel Hair: Hip-length hair.
- Satellite Character: Not her fault though.
- Stuffed into the Fridge: Sometime before Fate returns to visit her, humans ransack her village, hoping to make use of her people's powers, she and Luna are very brutally beaten up and shortly after Fate arrives, she is erased by Secundum. Fate doesn't take this too well.
- Supreme Chef: Got Fate Averruncus - a man who almost never emotes - Through His Stomach.
- Through His Stomach: Fate quickly becomes fond of her because she mades truly amazing coffee.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: She spends her last moments apologizing to Fate for not having made any coffee, for crying out loud.
- Touch Telepathy: Her race has the ability of mind-reading, activated by touch.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: She looks like an older, long-haired version of her sister.
Unnamed Cat Girl
A one panel character working as a waitress in Ostia that managed to portray so many tropes in one panel that she needed her own character entry. Totally not included as a joke, honest.
- Bare Your Midriff: To the point where she gives us all a Panty Shot.
- Cat Girl: Weren't the ears and tail a clue?
- Fanservice Extra: One panel. Count the fanservice tropes.
- Fan Service With A Smile: She seems pretty happy about working as a waitress.
- Go-Go Enslavement: Minus the Damsel in Distress part of the trope.
- Meido: Well, waitress, at least.
- No Name Given: Though she has a number of Fan Nicknames that are best not spoken in public.
- Of Corsets Sexy: One with detached sleeves.
- Showgirl Skirt: A double-layered one.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Appears to be a Type B.
A mercenary association of which we get to see in action the seventeenth unit of the bounty-hunting division.This unit seems to consist of four people: Alexander "Twilight" Zaytsev- the captain of the unit, Razo, Paio II and Morborgran.
- Anti-Villain: Yes, they are ruthless badass bounty hunters. Yes, they attacked the heroes. But Nodoka's mind reading revealed that Razo worries about his ill mother whom he sends money when he can, and Morborgran is a lot more sensitive than his skeletal demon body implies. Paio II, on the other hand, just wants to get her hands on some boobies (literally).
- The Beastmaster: Paio II, a Bugmaster, as Yue precises.
- Chekhov's Gag: When Paio poses as 'Chichigami' at baths she is shown like a hindu goddess, with six arms and all, she use them (more) seriously against Yue.
- Combat Tentacles: Courtesy of Paio's sand worms, they tend to be a little naughty.
- Dem Bones: Morborgran is a skeletal humanoid demon with six arms. He has a bit of a complex about his appearance.
- Dirty Mind-Reading: Nodoka wasn't exactly happy looking inside Paio's brain.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Razo is worrying about his, and planing to send her some money.
- A God I Am: Played for Laughs, Paio refers to herself as Chichigami (Boob Goddess).
- It Must Be Mine!: Paio's reaction to any boobies in near area.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Paio, a prime molester who only thinks about getting her hands on boobs. It's mostly Played for Laughs, though.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Morborgran and Paio II have multiple arms.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Alexander "Twilight" Zaytsev, fitting the criteria for Conquerors, Scary Nouns, Xtreme Kool Letterz, and Anything You Can't Pronounce On The First Try all at once. Nice nickname, Chiko-tan.
- Nothing Personal: Rezo: "We are pros, you know. We capture our prey, perfectly and exactly. That's our job."
- One-Winged Angel: Zaytsev boast (in his thoughts) about a "more powerful form" but we don't get to see it because of Negi's Death Glare
- Our Demons Are Different: Morborgran is a skeletal humanoid with six arms, which he somehow hides two pairs under his coat, with the only conspicuous thing in his normal guise being his skull head adorned with ram two horns. Negi assumes he's a powerful Demon kin, so he doesn't hold back on Morbogram when saving Nodoka.
- Punny Name: Paio II's name can also mean "tits" in Japanese.
- Samus Is a Girl: Paio II
- Skinship Grope: Paio II loves to do it on girls of any size. Just ask Ayase Yue.
- Social Darwinist: Rezo: "The Strong prevail the weak are defeated. If you're in this line of work too, you should understand that."
- Villains Out Shopping: Ala Alba meets them in public baths, which makes it also Go-Karting with Bowser
J von Katze and S du Chat
- Cat Girl: Both of them.
- Cat Smile: Permanent on J von Katze, as she has a cat's mouth
- Covert Pervert: They are the ones to propose to peek into the men's side in the onsen.
- Meaningful Name: Their surnames means "cat" in german and french respectively.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: They 'somehow or other' won the broom race, but Yue's group taking down griffindragon met of course more attention.
- Those Two Guys: For Yue's Ariadne group.
- Blank White Eyes: When Rakan gets up after the beating he got from Negi. Both times (though the second time she's not the only one).
- Cat Smile: often seen with one
- Combat Commentator: It's her job.
- Cute Monster Girl, Our Demons Are Different: She has fangs, horns, wings, long ears and a tail. She's also Dark-Skinned Blonde.
- Facial Markings: has a symetrical tribal-like sign on her forehead
- Hair Decorations: or rather horn decorations
- Indentured Servitude: Wears the standard Slave Collar, marking her as a debt slave.
- Meganekko: has a pair of rimless glasses
- Playing with Fire: She demonstrates arena's barrier with a mid level fire spell.
- Stripperific: When gloves and boots are the largest pieces of your garderobe... which results in Bare Your Midriff and Zettai Ryouiki (if you can call it that, as her skirt doesn't cover her panties completely)
- Sweat Drop: Negi fight with Rakan give her some, in particular when Negi stops Rakan's big attack and absorbs it.