Characters: Naruto - Other Team 7 Members
aka: Naruto-Team 7
Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
Team 7 In General
Team 7 provides examples of:
- Animal Motifs: Each of the 3 original genins have been paired with the animal summon that the Sannin have been associated with. Naruto signed a contract with the toads under Jiraiya's tutelage and learned sage jutsu from the toads later in the series. Sasuke learned to summon and use several diverse jutsus involving snakes from Orichimaru in early part 2. After learning the truth of Itachi, Sasuke began using hawk summons, but retained the snake contract as well. Sakura is able to use slug summons being Tsunade's student.
- Betty and Veronica: Sakura was the Archie to Naruto's Betty and Sasuke's Veronica.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura respectively.
- Color-Coded Characters: Naruto - Yellow (or Orange), Sasuke - Blue, Sakura - Red (or Pink), Kakashi - Green
- Freudian Trio: Team 7 starts out with pretty clearly defined roles, with Naruto representing the Id as he was loud, impulsive, boastful, hyperactive, stubborn, instinctual, etc. ; Sakura being the Ego and Sasuke the Super Ego. Interesting in that Naruto and Sasuke gradually exchange their roles through the course of the story, while Sakura's role remains mostly the same.
- Generation Xerox: Twice, no less!
- Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura trained under a Sannin over the timeskip, learning their summons and part of the moveset, and furthering their personality comparisons. Sasuke/Orochimaru was the student who left to further his own power, Jiraiya/Naruto was the dedicated, dreamer friend who can't give them up, and Tsunade/Sakura the woman caught in the middle. Kakashi/Sarutobi was the master who put the most stock in the student who left and ultimately had to fight them later on after being promoted to Sixth Hokage candidate/Third Hokage.
- They have a few similarities to the Team 7 under the Fourth Hokage - Naruto/Obito was the loud jokester who was looked down upon for having "lesser" abilities, the heart of the group; Sasuke/Kakashi was the serious "cool" guy, completely single-minded in his dedication and something of a prodigy; and Sakura/Rin was the cool guy's fangirl who didn't recognize the jokester's crush on her, had a bright demeanor, and was essentially the group's medic.
- It goes even further, both teams consist of a Jinchuuriki, an Uchiha, and an otherwise Badass Normal, one of which would eventually betray the Leaf Village
- And a third time from the time of the Sage of Six Paths Naruto/Asura is the no-good fighter who inherited his father's legacy and ultimately fostered cooperation with other people while Sasuke/Indra is the genius fighter with special eyes who was able to take advantage of his genetic predisposition to power, and was able to do everything on his own.
- This also explains their relatively subtle similarities to Hashirama and Madara who are the previous succesors of Ashura and Indra
- Hair Contrast Duo: Naruto and Sasuke.
- Only Mostly Dead: Each member of the original team 7 has nearly died or has died and was brought back. Sakura nearly died in her fight against Sasori, but was revived by Chiyo. Kakashi died protecting Choji from Pain and Nagato revived him. Naruto and Sasuke were nearly killed by Madara, while Sakura and Obito saved Naruto and Kabuto saved Sasuke.
- Never Forgotten Skill: Team work. No matter how long it's been since they've seen each other or how wildly their individual skills have evolved and diverged, the trio can still work in sync like they've been rehearsing daily when they end up on the same side of a battle.
- When Naruto came back after the timeskip, Naruto and Sakura were perfectly in sync against Kakashi, despite spending 2.5 years apart.
- During the battle with the Ten Tails they initiate the 'New Three-Way Deadlock' formation perfectly, and Naruto and Sasuke further combine Rasen-shuriken with Amaterasu and the Nine Tails Chakra Shroud with Susanoo - all this minutes after Sasuke decides to rejoin the group after being rogue for 3-4 years and only having seen Naruto and Sakura twice during that time.
- Ninja Brat: Naruto in particular, as he started the series as a bratty, immature, mischievous child who had failed the Ninja Academy graduation exam multiple times. Sakura and Sasuke both have their moments of immaturity in Part 1 as well.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Naruto is the red to Sasuke's blue.
- In Part 2, it has slowly flipped around.
- Summon Magic: Frogs and Toads for Naruto, Snakes and later Hawks for Sasuke, Slugs for Sakura and Dogs for Kakashi.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: At first, to the extent that, during Kakashi's test, the very idea of the three working together to steal the bells never once occurred to them.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Honestly, if you are ever a comrade of Naruto's, you will end up becoming this at some point, but it will usually peter out after a while.
of Team 7. Naruto has a crush on her, while she has a crush on Sasuke
. Sakura herself is an intelligent, gifted kunoichi
from Konoha. Unlike most other ninja in the series, she has no unique skills of her own, using only standard ninja techniques and her brains. As a result, during the first part of the series she mostly sits on the sidelines or loses the ones she participates in. After failing to prevent her first love Sasuke's defection, and seeing a badly injured Naruto in the hospital, she concludes that she can't leave things like this, and apprentices herself to Princess Tsunade with the intent of no longer being a burden.
, Sakura has picked up Super Strength
and medical skills
courtesy of Tsunade's Training from Hell
, which turns her from The Load
to a fine kunoichi of her calibre
. Her growth is shown in the first major fight of the new series, joining forces with Chiyo to defeat Akatsuki member Sasori in a drawn-out battle, and her healing skills are put to use for much of the series. Later, Sai calls her out on a certain promise with Naruto, which in Sai's eyes is equivalent to Danzo's tongue seal; a heavy curse to bear. He then berates her for letting Naruto shoulder such burdens, prompting Sakura to make up for Naruto's suffering in a desperate manner.
Her hobbies are playing trivia games and memorizing new material for her medical studies.
Favorite phrases: "A life with love throughout!" and "Courage"
- A-Cup Angst: Has a rather small chest and shows irritation about that.
- Action Survivor: Becomes this in the Forest of Death, where she tries to protect her unconscious teammates from the Sound trio, despite being hopelessly outmatched.
- Action Girl/Faux Action Girl: Zig-Zags, heavily favoring the latter. While praised by Kakashi at the beginning for being (slightly) above average, she realized during the Chunin Exams and after how much better her competition was. Over the Time Skip she trained under a Sannin like Naruto and Sasuke and had an impressive showing alongside Chiyo against Sasori, only for Naruto and Sasuke to win the Superpower Lottery shortly afterwards and completely overshadow her and everyone else. She still has her moments, though. During the Ten-Tails arc, she finally gets to step back up to the front line when she reveals that she mastered the White Strength Seal (Byakugou no In), having only recently gathered enough chakra to use it and then proceeds to wreck some Mooks before Naruto and Sasuke intercept some Mooks about to attack her. She then returns to the sidelines and provides mostly support against the villains, until she sneak attacks Kaguya, who's basically a Physical God for zero damage while Kaguya was distracted by Naruto and Sasuke.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Played straight at first, but then deconstructed after the time skip. Ultimately, she still has lingering feelings for Sasuke, despite what he's become and despite that his actions threaten war, and her need to help stop him.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Her parents are totally this as shown by the Road to Ninja Movie, that Kishimoto personally wrote. They are both only genin and always point out her flaws, even in front of her friends.
- Anger Born of Worry: Towards Naruto, especially when she punches him after coming back from his battle with Pain for making them all worry, then hugs him.
- Bad Liar:
- When she realizes just how much Naruto is going through trying to uphold his promise to her, she tries to convince him to stop by claiming that she loves Naruto now and not Sasuke. Naruto doesn't buy it.
- Later, when planning to take out Sasuke herself, she claims that she has defected from Konoha was well and wants to join him. Sasuke is naturally suspicious, and he calls her bluff when she is unable to finish off Karin to prove it.
- Badass: In the later part of the series she shows the ability to become one when the situation needs it.
In the ninja world, those who break the rules are scum, that's true, but those who abandon their comrades are worse than scum.
Kakashi Hatake is a sneaky, snarky ninja who serves as sensei of Team 7, and also as The Big Guy
and The Smart Guy
. Prior to Team 7, he had failed every single
applicant who had come before him. He's one of the strongest ninja in Konoha, and is never seen without his dirty pornographic novel/manga.
Kakashi, for reasons that are at first unknown, has a Sharingan in his left eye, despite not being of the Uchiha (In a Gaiden prequel
story, the eye was revealed to have been transplanted from his deceased friend Obito Uchiha, one of Sasuke's relatives). Kakashi has mastered its use about as well as a non-Uchiha can, picking up the epithet "Copy Ninja". He knows dozens of techniques and uses them, but his only
unique jutsu is the Chidori (and its upgraded form, Raikiri), which electrifies his arm, allowing it to punch through anything.
, Naruto and Sakura's development causes Kakashi to serve less as a mentor and more as a comrade. He's somehow managed to pick up a variant of the Mangekyo Sharingan that differs from Itachi's, which he uses to crush Deidara's arm in the first arc. He still teaches Naruto, though, eventually helping him create a more powerful variant of the Rasengan.
In the Fourth Shinobi World War, he serves as the leader of the Third Division.
His hobby is reading (Icha Icha series).
Favorite word: "Teamwork"
- The Ace: Easily one of the most powerful ninja in Konoha. Even considered for Hokage on occasion!
- Achilles' Heel/Awesome, but Impractical: Kakashi, while he has an all around awesome skill-set, has massive stamina issues. This is exacerbated by his Sharigan, which expends even more of his chakra when used. Almost all of his major battles in the series has resulted him getting bed-ridden for over-expending his energy.
- Always Save the Girl: That first flashback of him killing Rin turned out to be very misleading. She actually wanted him to do it, but he point-blank refused despite the Mist's plans for her. She took matters into her own hands and jumped in front of his attack.
- And I Must Scream: He was the first in-series victim of the Mangekyo Sharingan's Tsukuyomi, in which Itachi crucified him and stabbed him repeatedly without letting him die. For three days. Without stopping...
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy : As a kid, he was obsessed with following the rules and living like an obedient toy soldier. Anyone who didn't train themselves to be an ideal ninja was out of step with the rest and a disgrace. It was brought on by a fear that deviating from the shinobi code would lead to ostracism, since his father Sakumo chose to put his comrade's lives above a mission. The Leaf ninja felt betrayed, because it is their master goal to ensure a success of a mission at all costs. Sakumo was chided viciously by his peers, and Driven to Suicide. Kakashi feared the same might happen to him. After Obito brought him to his senses and warned him it would pretty much strip him of his humanity to live like this, he broke out of it.
- Ass Shove: A THOUSAND YEARS OF DEATH!!!!
- Aura Vision: The most standard ability of the Sharingan is to see Chakra.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Pretty good at figuring out the skills of dangerous opponents such as Zabuza, Kakuzu, Pain and Tobi.
- Back from the Dead: Gets killed and later revived by Pain
- Badass: Save for Naruto, he was the only ninja in Konoha who required the attention of more than one of Pain's bodies.
- Badass Boast: "The "Copy Ninja" Kakashi, the man who copied one thousand techniques… is about to go on a rampage!"
- Badass Bookworm: Naruto calls him "as smart as Shikamaru", which, combined with his status as the most elite ninjutsu specialist in the Hidden Leaf, would make him this easily. Inverted with his actual choice of literature - Jiraiya's erotic novels.
- Badass Transplant: His Sharingan(s).
- Battle Aura: Gains one when Naruto gives him the refined, combined chakra that he and Kurama made. He commented that it's even stronger than the dose that Kurama had given him originally, which increased his power threefold. Now he has a Version 1 cloak like the rest of the alliance.
- Berserk Button: Kakashi REALLY hates Edo Tensei (Impure World Resurrection), a jutsu that revives the dead and forces them to fight for the user. He also hates Kabuto, in no small part due to his insistence on using it.
- It seems to come from a disdain of grave-robbing of his friends in general. He got set off when he realized that Tobi had to be using Obito's eye.
- BFS: Wields Zabuza's Executioner Blade for a short while in the 4th world war against the other 7 Swordsmen.
- Big Damn Heroes:He has a habit of joining fights by showing up out of nowhere to save his comrades.
- Boring Yet Practical: His fighting style tends to be this, which is part of why he's overshadowed so much. His summons are a perfect example. Most ninja call up a giant animal to fight for them, Kakashi has a pack of hunting hounds.
- Break the Haughty: Happens in Kakashi Gaiden, when he gets the worst dose of cold reality you could believe.
- Broken Ace: So broken that his emotional damage is arguably almost completely responsible for the events OF THE ENTIRE MANGA. In-universe, Kakashi admits he is this to Sasuke in attempt to convince Sasuke that revenge isn't everything and that living with the pain of his losses, while difficult, is possible. It didn't work. Later, Kakashi tells Obito and Minato that losing Obito, Rin, and Minato all within the span of a year all but completely broke him, stating that there was nothing stopping him from completely sinking into despair but the fact that Obito entrusted his sharingan to him. Given the amount of characters that's turned to darker paths for similar reasons, it's kind of an eye-opener as to how close Kakashi could have been to completely losing himself as well.
- Broken Pedestal: His best friend Obito Uchiha who he originally thought was dead, and who was also the source of most of his ideals as an adult is now one of his greatest enemies.
- Brought Down to Badass: He loses his Sharingan to Madara and gets his normal eye restored by Naruto's new healing powers right after. Of course, he is still a highly trained ninja, but that means he can no longer use any of his Sharingan abilities or his Raikiri properly. Obito's spirit later gives him both Mangekyo Sharingan, but this wears off after Kaguya's defeat.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: The first of many, many examples among the characters. See also Ass Shove, Lovable Sex Maniac, and Badass.
- Canine Companion: The Ninja Hounds that he uses as a tracking unit.
- The Captain: Of Squad 7.
- Child Prodigy: Youngest Genin and Chunnin graduated at 5 and 6.
- Combat Clairvoyance: It also gives the ability to predict the opponents next moves.
- The Comically Serious: Often his nonchalance is used in humor especially to contrast Guy.
- Cool Teacher: Team 7 was the first team that he ever passed, because they're the first one to catch his lesson on putting each other's safety ahead of the mission.
- Covert Pervert: He's obsessed with the "Icha Icha" series of adult novels, and gets embarrassed when caught reading them by others. Naruto once got the drop on him by pretending to spoiler one book's ending.
- Day in the Limelight: Subverted. Kakashi Gaiden appeared to be this when it came out, going into his backstory and explaining his personality and Sharingan. Looking at the series as a whole, it's clearly really about establishing Obito, who would go on to have a massive impact on the plot.
- He gets a proper one in a filler arc called Anbu Kakashi Arc, which depicts his past between killing Rin and the start of the main series.
- Deadpan Snarker: Always has a straight face. One would imagine the mask probably helps in this department.
- Despair Event Horizon: As of the revelation of Tobi's true identity (Obito) inchapter 600, he's been slowly getting there with each progressing chapter, though Heroic Resolve seems to have kicked in.
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: After Obito dies, he's able to grant Kakashi his full Magenkyou Sharingan. This grants Kakashi the use of Obito's Intangible Man powers, Perfect Susanoo, and the ability to imbue all of his attacks with Kamui so they can Portal Cut if they connect. And because Obito was also host to the Ten-Tails, he gets Ridoku's power as part of the deal so his attacks aren't instantly absorbed.
- Even the Guys Want Him: The few females and males who have seen him unmasked are, well, very impressed.
- Everybody's Dead, Dave: His backstory can be summed up in this one trope. When Sasuke threatens to kill someone close to him so Kakashi can understand his pain, Kakashi replies that everyone he cares about is already dead.
- Excuse Me While I Multitask: Given a sufficiently inexperienced opponent, he can fight with one hand and read pornographic novels (namely, the Icha Icha series written by Jiraiya) with the other. And is quite happy to demonstrate this ability.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Expy: Of Rikimaru from the Tenchu series.
- Eyepatch of Power: Normally covers his left eye with his headband. Underneath is his Sharingan. He hides it because unlike an Uchiha, Kakashi is incapable of turning it off at will. Only when facing a strong opponent does he uncover it.
- Eye Scream: He lost his eye after taking a slash for Obito. His Sharingan is ripped out by Madara, who jams it into his own empty socket.
- Failure Hero: How he sees himself after watching his childhood team die and failing to talk Sasuke out of defecting.
- Forgotten Phlebotinum: Kakashi's had the Mangekyo for twenty years. Sure woulda been handy against Orochimaru or Itachi. Granted, Kakashi fell unconscious the moment he unlocked it and didn't encounter another Mangekyo Sharingan user until he fought Itachi, so he might not have even realized he had one until then at the earliest.
- Alternatively: The use of the normal Sharingan drains a lot of chakra (he was out of commission for a few days after the first battle with Zabuza), the Mangekyou Sharingan requires even more chakra, so it's possible that he hadn't yet the stamina required to use it.
- Four-Star Badass: As General of the Third Division
- Friendly Rivalry: Proud owner of the ultimate rivalry with Might Guy, lasting from their early teenhood, up into adulthood, and still very, very intense as they go over the hill, showing absolutely NO signs of slowing down.
- It should be noted that Guy and Kakashi's rivalry is the only one with a generally positive relationship to it. Every other rivalry usually makes the losing part very bitter, or their friendship dissolves. This includes Naruto/Sasuke, Hashirama/Madara and Sarutobi/Danzo
- Generation Xerox: He was mentioned to greatly resemble his father Sakumo Hatake, Konoha's White Fang, which made his enemies tremble in fear of him even when he was just about 13 years of age, mistaking him for his father. Cut to many years after when he is already known as Kakashi of the Sharingan and you know the awesome is In the Blood. Further xerox-ing lays credibility that since the Third Hokage taught the original Sannin of Jiraiya, Orochimaru and Tsunade, and that since the villagers see him as temporary Hokage when Tsunade was in her coma, Kakashi is a generation Xerox of Sarutobi, the Third Hokage.
- He's also a generation xerox of Jiraiya. He lost his teacher, lost his student (to the dark side), his best friend turned into one of the most reviled criminals in history and was indirectly responsible for their teacher's death, and has a near pathological Heroic Self-Deprecation as well.
- And he is also one to Minato as well, especially considering that his team is basically a Generation Xerox of Minato's team. One of them went evil because Love Makes You Evil (Obito and Sasuke), one of them stayed with Konoha (Naruto and Kakashi), and one was a skilled medic-nin (Rin and Sakura).
- Guile Hero: In his first fight with Zabuza he hypnotized him using the Sharingan to perform a water jutsu he already knew, defeated him by using it first, then had Zabuza believe he could see the future.
- Henohenomoheji: Seen on Kakashi's decoy scarecrow in Episode 101 ("Gotta See! Gotta Know! Kakashi-Sensei's True Face!"), when Team 7 attempts to unveil Kakashi's true face. It's also featured on the backs of his 9 ninken (Ninja Hounds/Dogs) Summoning group.
- Heroic RROD: This happens to him a lot in part one - at one point, the others are surprised when he doesn't need a hospital trip after a fight. He can handle the Sharingan somewhat better in Shippuden, but still needs to watch his reserves carefully.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: He is pretty much this with Guy. Gai being the person he trusts the most.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: Specifically, he killed Rin himself... because she chose to jump in the way of his Raikiri rather than be a Trojan Horse.
- Informed Ability: Kakashi is a legendary ninja who has supposedly copied over a thousand jutsu. Nearly all of his opponents have talked about how dangerous he is when they first face him. Yet, we almost never get to see him go all out, and when he does get to battle he's usually forced to use up chakra protecting his peers. The worst example is probably when he took on the remaining zombified Seven Swordsmen of the Mist. It was implied to be an absolute Curb-Stomp Battle in his favour, but it happened entirely off-panel. Completely averted in the anime, which takes advantage of Adaptation Expansion. The fights are just as badass as you'd expect them to be.
- In addition, Kakashi the Copy-Ninja has yet to ever actually copy any jutsu on-screen. In the Land of Waves Zabuza- and subsequently many fans- believed that he had somehow copied and reversed his Water jutsu at the exact moment Zabuza himself was using it, perhaps even before, but by the next battle Zabuza has realised that Kakashi simply used his Sharingan to implant ideas of what jutsu to use in Zabuza's mind, to freak him out, meaning every Water jutsu Zabuza used was already in Kakashi's arsenal. He might have copied Kakuzu's Iron Skin jutsu but if he has, he has yet to demonstrate it.
- Finally averted as of the latest arc. He takes on Obito, who, up until now, has served as the Big Bad for most of the story, in single combat and handily defeats him.
- Instant Armor: Due to Obito passing on his chakra and Sharingan, Kakashi gains the Susano'o, and can manifest it as Perfect!
- Loose Lips: Accidentally leaked the classified information of Naruto's birth, unaware that Obito was listening in, or that he was even alive, at a visit to Rin's grave.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: He's a big fan of Jiraiya's book series.
- Magical Eye: The Sharingan and then later the Magenkyou Sharingan. It grants him the following abilities... later loses it to Madara and has his original eye restored in its socket by Naruto, but then gets upgraded to a complete set of Sharingan implanted in his own eyes, courtesy of Obitio's spirit. This turns out to be a temporary measure, however.
- Mask Power: NEVER seen without it. The only time his face was uncovered, it wasn't shown onscreen. An anime filler episode revolves around Team 7 trying to see under Kakashi's mask. When they finally get him to remove it in front of them, underneath is... another mask.
- On some covers he doesn't have it, but then his face is usually covered by his book or hand.
- Also, according to Pakkun, he hates being photographed without it.
- Meaningful Name: Kakashi means "scarecrow," and Hatake means "farmland or field." Both are an obvious reference to his tall and lean appearance. This also ties to his use of a Henohenomoheji logo on his summoned dogs and decoys. There's also the fact that real life ninjas often disguised themselves as poor farmers. Get's into Theme Naming when you consider his Dad's name could come from the the word Sakumotsu, which translates to "Crops".
- Mega Manning: Kakashi's specialty, known as the copy ninja.
- Mr. Exposition: In the first arc.
- Multilayer Façade: Kakashi is a literal case: he wears another mask under his mask.
- My Greatest Failure: Tends to dwell on this, especially regarding Obito, losing track of time at the Memorial Stone by reminding himself of how he has failed. And then there's the issue of his second team...
- Nice Guy: He is one of the nicest characters in the anime.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: He inadvertently caused the Kyuubi incident by blabbing that Kurama's jinchuriki was gonna have a baby in front of Rin's grave, not realizing Obito was there as well.
- Non Chalant Dodge: The Trope picture
- No Mouth: Keeps his mouth concealed behind a mask at all times. Played with in the best filler of the anime.
- The Nose Knows: He is said to have a very good sense of smell. And he has a pack of trained canines.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: We first meet Kakashi as a goofy teacher who falls for one of Naruto's unbelievably idiotic pranks, but he soon reveals himself to be Badass. His enemies do know he's dangerous, and treat him as such, but he's FAR more dangerous than most of them have been led to believe.
- Obsolete Mentor: Averts this, despite being Worfed sometimes. He specifically mentions in one arc that he's still young and improving. In the fight against Tobi/Obito he's particularly important. He's not a Person of Mass Destruction like the main cast, but his shrewdness is still one of his greatest assets.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Kakashi vs The Seven Swordsmen of the Mist. Kakashi won apparently, but he misplaced Zabuza's sword.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Being the flake he usually acts like, seeing him almost too mad to speak after Guy reveals he taught Lee the Hidden Lotus clues the audience in that things are about to get serious.
- Out, Damned Spot!: After waking up from a nightmare of him killing Rin.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: While certainly a versatile, experienced and highly competent fighter, his battles have been somewhat a letdown compared to say Akatsuki, Orochimaru or the Kages. He also suffers a lot of The Worf Effect against this opponents, even more than Sasuke. A fairly common complaint is that he's hyped to be stronger than he is, especially in the Databooks, where he's hyped to be one of the most formidable shinobi alive. To his credit, however, those who Worf him tend to have attained a similar, if not greater Shrouded in Myth status.
- Parental Abandonment:His father Sakumo committed suicide when Kakashi was six-years old and his mother died before then.
- Portal Cut: Kakashi's Magenkyou Sharingan's special Kamui jutsu.
- Psychosomatic Superpower Outage: Suffers from this during the Anbu filler arc. He can't use the Chidori/Raikiri with his mental trauma of killing Rin acting up everytime he tries to use it. Of course, considering what we've seen over the course of the series, he gets better.
- Red Baron: Kakashi has two famous nicknames first being Kakashi of the Sharingan, second being The Copy Ninja.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Might Guy's Red & Obito's Red.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: "In the ninja world, those who break the rules are scum, that's true, but those who abandon their friends are worse than scum."
- Sempai/Kohai: Senpai to Yugao, Yamato and Sai (who considers him as such in the anime). Also Shizune addresses with the honorfic.
- Shaping Your Attacks: His Running Beast ability.
- Shock and Awe: Chidori, Raikiri/Lightning Blade, them lightning hounds, etc.
- Shrouded in Myth: See Red Baron. And just what the hell is behind that mask? Another mask.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Finally delivered one to Obito, pointing that he basically chose to ignore every feeling his friends could possibly have, quoting Obito himself. "And those who don't respect their comrades' memories...are the worst."
- He gives another to Sasuke, after he declares that Kakashi could only understand how he felt about Itachi if Sasuke went and killed everyone he loved. Kakashi simply replies that he can't do that, as everyone that qualifies is already dead.
- Signature Move: Raikiri/Lightning Blade, similar to the Chidori only better.
- Sink or Swim Mentor: His bell test.
- Space Master: His Mangekyo Sharingan's technique, Kamui, can warp objects into another dimension. He can now use Kamui to get to and from the other dimension at will.
- The Stoic: Probably the hardest character to get a rise out of in the entire series, except where the Icha Icha series Or his dead best friend is concerned.
- Super Mode: His Version 1 Cloak that Naruto gave him.
- He gets another one, this time a personal ability, that crosses with Eleventh Hour Superpower: After Obito gives him both his Mangekyo Sharingan, he can use Susanoo immediately. And unlike other Susanoo users who have to develop it in stages, it manifests in its perfect form right from the get-go.
- Team Dad: To Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke.
- Took a Level in Badass: It's more subtle than most of the cast, but think about it. The first time we see him go all-out using the Sharingan, summons, and a Raikiri is enough to tire him out. Post-time skip, he's somehow got a Mangekyo that can send stuff through another dimension, and against Kakuzu he's firing off Raikiri like cheap kunai and staying on his feet afterwards.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Obito's death made him realize how important it was to care for your comrades more.
- Tragic Keepsake: He kept his father's Tanto for a good bit, but his sharingan eye, which was transplanted into him from his dead best friend, Obito Uchiha is what really falls into this trope.
- Tranquil Fury: What happens when he truly gets pissed.
- Trauma Conga Line: Kakashi is by far the worst to get hit with this trope ever. Let's make a count, shall we? His best friend dies saving him and his other teammate, his sensei dies saving the village without him being able to do anything about it. He promised said best friend that he'd protect their other teammate, only to end up breaking the promise and killing her Then, one of his students pulls a Face-Heel Turn. Finally, it turns out his best friend is Not Quite Dead after all, and has become the Big Bad responsible for nearly everything that has happened in the manga, BECAUSE he killed Rin. On top of that, he was already pretty traumatized before any of that happened. When he was 7 his father, whom he idolized, was ostracized by an entire village and ended up killing himself through seppuku before Kakashi's eyes. And his mother's fate is still unknown, other than that she was under 30 when she died...
- True Companions: A firm believer in this concept.
- Unknown Rival: Guy is his, though it may be more that Kakashi does not want to acknowledge it. It turns out that he does acknowledge Guy as his true rival, and the scene that reveals this is pretty heartwarming.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom:
- He speaks about Naruto's birth at Rin's grave. Unfortunately, Obito happened to be watching.
- He abandoned his mission so that he could help Obito when they were kids, resulting in a crippled Obito ending up on Madara's doorstep setting off most of the plot.
- Weak, but Skilled: Kakashi's individual skill and jutsu is not weak per se - it's probably in the very top percentile of the shinobi world. However against the ridiculously overpowered villains of the Shippuden series like the Akatsuki, Pain and Tobi, Kakashi is forced to fall back on his natural wit and can be considered this - especially considering his lack of chakra for spamming his Signature Move.
- We Used to Be Friends: His best friend Obito is now a major contender in the contest to determine the most evil ninja of all time. Tune in tomorrow to find out the results!
- The Worf Effect: His only real victory has been against Zabuza. After that he's only been used to show how strong whatever enemy comes along is, often with him commenting about how much stronger than him they are. That said, he fares a lot better in team battles (against Akatsuki) contributing to victories over Deidara, Itachi (sort of—it's complicated), Hidan/Kakuzu and recently Tobi. Which makes quite a lot of sense when you remember "teamwork" is pretty much everything to the man.
- Though he seems to have finally left it behind in the current arc, going so far as to defeating Tobi, one of the Major BigBads of the series, in a one on one battle inside the Kamui dimension by shoving a Lightning Cutter through his chest leaving a gaping wide hole.
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: He makes two, one before and one during his final duel with Obito, although the latter is an internal monologue. They both signify his acknowledgement of the fact that his former best friend must now be treated no differently than any other enemy.
- "In the ninja world, those who break the rules are trash. However, those who abandon their comrades are worse than trash. And the ones who abandon their friends' feelings are even worse than that. I won't get rid of your past feelings... even if it's you refusing them."
- Naruto...You will never lose your way. You're stronger than me, and you're unique in many ways. As for me, this is all I can do for know. I'll do what I must... In order to protect the old Obito, I must...kill the current one!
- Younger Than He Looks: Kakashi was 6 when he took the Chuunin Exams, but looked almost like a full grown teenager.
- You Remind Me of X: Kakashi remarked in the third Shippuden movie Inheritors of the Will of Fire that Naruto's ethic of protecting his friends solemnly reminds him of his late comrade Obito Uchiha, whose spiky hair and knuckleheaded determination Naruto mirrored perfectly.
A smile can get you out of a tough situation, even if it is fake.
Sai is... a jerk, to put it mildly. A ninja from the village of Konoha, pretty much all that is known about Sai is that he's a loner and that he has no family. He's a member of ANBU's Root Division, and first joins Team 7 in the second arc. "Sai", a type of three-pronged dagger, is probably a pseudonym, but who knows? Given Root's... special
methods of training, it might even be his real name.
As one might expect from someone who isn't around people much, Sai doesn't exactly make the greatest of first impressions on his teammates. Indeed, his first actions are to question Naruto's manhood, call Sakura ugly, and diss their former teammate Sasuke. Naruto flatly states that he'll only put up with Sai for Sasuke's sake. He claims to have no personality whatsoever — being polite or assholic is just a front for him.
A talented artist, Sai claims to have drawn several thousand pictures in his life, but, in keeping with his role as the hollow man, finds himself incapable of ever giving one a title. Sai uses his art in his jutsu. He has the ability to animate his drawings, creating creatures for attack or espionage, or generating clones out of ink.
It seems, however, that his purpose is more than just filling out Team 7. In reality, he was given the job by Danzo to assassinate Sasuke — a task which he's clearly unable to do. He has a change of heart and forms a genuine friendship with Naruto and Sakura, although he's very socially awkward
(which is often played for laughs
In the Fourth Shinobi World War, Sai was placed in the Ambush Division under Kankuro and alongside Omoi.
His hobbies are drawing and calligraphy.
Favorite word: "Comrades"
- Adorkable: Has a few shades of this after he starts genuinely showing interest in emotions and human interaction. The sixth Shippuden film took this and ran away with it.
- Advertised Extra: After his big introduction arc, being brought in as Sasuke's replacement and serving as Danzo's mole, you'd figure Sai would play a large role in the scheme of things? Save for one fight during the most recent arc he's been floating in the background.
- And I Must Scream: One of his techniques, named Sealing Technique: Stalking Predator Launch, consists of an animated drawing of a tiger which can attack the enemy and then go back in the drawing with him.
- Art Initiates Life: His ability the Cartoon Beast Mimicry; with it he paints ink creatures to assist him in battles including: Lions and tigers for attacking and sealing, birds for transportation and aerial assaults, snakes for binding enemies, rats for tracking and even The Two Benevolent Kings for brute force.
- Art Attacker: As in the art he brings to life, attacks you.
- Cool Sword: Specializes in long-ranged combat with his ninjutsu but is no slouch in taijutsu and swordfighting.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: His sealing jutsu is this in the anime.
- Deadpan Snarker: His only reaction to Konohamaru's "reverse" version of the Sexy Jutsu? "Ah. So that's me." More deadpan than snarker, other than insulting Naruto a few times early on.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: He has very pale skin and is viewed by the others as being disturbing at first.
- Emotion Suppression: Being a member of a special ANBU branch, Sai has undergone a training that removed his emotions. It also left him with No Social Skills.
- Honorifics: Uses them on Naruto and Sakura at first, despite being quite rude to them in most other regards, but drops them when trying to become friends with them.
- Horse of a Different Color: His ability to surf on flying ink birds makes him one of the few flyers in the series.
- Innocently Insensitive: Post-Character Development, he tries to become better friends with Naruto and Sakura, but genuinely thinks "ugly" is a good idea for a nickname, and that people always need to hear the truth.
- Jack of All Stats: According to the databook, his skill levels in the various aspects of being a ninja are actually not far from one another. They all range between 3 and 4 (inclusive) out of a maximum score of 5. This makes his skill set really balanced when compared to the majority of other characters in the franchise.
- Jerkass: At his beginnings, justified by No Social Skills. It progressively fades away with time, but Sai remains the one willing to bluntly tell the unpleasant truths.
- Mr. Fanservice: Skimpily dressed and has been acknowledged as being handsome in universe by both Sakura and Ino.
- Morality Pet: In a way, Naruto has become this to Sai. This would explain why he's openly distrustful towards Sasuke.
- Mysterious Past: We only know that he's been in the ANBU for a long time and he's got a dead brother.
- No Social Skills: In line with his the emotion suppression he went through, after breaking away from Root's teachings Sai primarily interacts with other and tries to befriend them through literal by the book methods, having been researching ways to make friends.
- Not So Stoic: The part where Sasuke, in their first meeting, gives him a Death Glare that proves terrifying even for Sai.
- Only One Name: Technically not his real one, but he prefers going by it.
- Only Sane Man: On the subject of Sasuke. Having no past relationship with him, he is much more rational about what actions should be taken toward Sasuke than Naruto or Sakura, and is quick to point out when the two are sticking their necks out for him.
- Out of Focus: After his big introductory arc, in which he became the new official member of Team 7, Sai hasn't had much to do at all. This is even more noticeable in the Anime during filler arcs, where Sai either stands in the background or doesn't appear at all.
- Paper Talisman: He can create paper bombs by the dozen by painting them.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Noted for being both good looking and eerie.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: No Social Skills — check, pale-skinned — check, Mysterious Past — check.
- Restraining Bolt: Has a seal on his tongue that prevents him from revealing any information about Danzo, though this disappears after said character's death.
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training: He can go toe-to-toe with S-Class criminals twice his age but needs a book that tells him how act tactfully and politely. This is explained as part of his training in Root, which kills emotions and empathy.
- Secret Keeper: For an unspecified length of time between his introductory arc and the aftermath of the Pain Arc, Sai knew about how Naruto had feelings for Sakura, but didn't feel as though he could tell her. However, Sai, knowing how hard Naruto was pushing himself for the sake of his promise to Sakura, decided to break his silence.
- Sempai/Kohai: Considers Kakashi a senpai, as well as a nameless older member of Root.
- Smoke Out: Sai is very skilled with the body flicker technique, having an ink variant.
- Stepford Smiler: Smiles to please those he interacts with despite being emotionless.
- The Stoic: Due to years of of suppressing his emotions Sai is remarkably non-chalant and deadpan for most of his interactions, be they incredibly awkward, intense, or embarrassing.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Calls out Sakura for having Naruto promise to bring back Sasuke and expecting him to keep working at it when it's rather obvious Naruto loves her. He compares the binding of this promise to his own abuse at the hands of Root/Danzo.
I like being nice and friendly, but I don't have any problems with ruling by fear either.
Real Name: Tenzou
A member of ANBU, and one of Kakashi's juniors, he is made the temporary Captain of Team 7 while Kakashi recovers in the hospital. As he serves as more of a unit leader than a mentor, Naruto and Sakura call him "taichou"("Captain" or "Commander" in the English manga) instead of "sensei". The name "Yamato" (which means "spear") is actually a codename given to him by Tsunade; his real name is Tenzou. He very much prefers to be called Yamato.
As a child, Yamato was one of sixty infants that Orochimaru injected with the DNA of the First Hokage, trying to replicate the First's unique abilities. Fifty-nine died, and Orochimaru was forced to flee the village before learning that one subject — Yamato — had survived. As a result, Yamato can use the First Hokage's Wood Style jutsu, although not with the First's level of ability.
Yamato is a friendly, easygoing person. He prefers diplomacy over using threats when it comes to running his team, but he's not afraid to scare Naruto into doing what he wants. He notes that he's less indulgent than Kakashi is, and says that Naruto and Sakura should not be treated as ninjas in training who need protection, but as ninjas who will eventually have to support Konoha. It's revealed that he was selected as Captain for more than his Wood Style abilities — he is the only person in the village capable of using Enclosed Hermitage: Return to Society, which, in turn, is the only technique strong enough to contain Naruto's four-tailed Fox state. He later helps Naruto with his training, helping to prevent the fox's chakra from becoming dominant.
His hobby is reading books about architecture.
Favorite phrase: "Knocking on a stone bridge before crossing it"
- A Day in the Limelight: The Anime Special Kakashi Anbu Arc feature him a lot and his background is further expanded.
- The Artifact: Started off as Kakashi's substitute as leader of Team 7 and the genetic clone of the first, allowing him to keep the Kyuubi in check. When Kakashi returns to active duty, Yamato's role get demoted to Kakashi's assistant in training Naruto. And then Naruto got full control over Kyuubi's chakra, making Yamato's function completely redundant. As a result, he is immediately kidnapped.
- Butt Monkey: Kakashi tends to comically take advantage of him for little things like paying for meals while Naruto's recklessness is often played against his caution.
- Try in Storm 3, where Naruto has raised his fist to him not once, but twice, and this lack of respect actually makes Yamato want to cry.
- The Captain: A temporary replacement for Kakashi, his true role is actually to look after Naruto.
- The Chew Toy: In the spin-off Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth, he is reduced to be a The Speechless Living Prop.
- Child Prodigy: Ties with Kakashi with being the youngest Chunin at 6.
- Combination Attack: Has one with Naruto which combines his Water Style Tearing Torrent with Naruto's Wind Style Ransengan.
- The Comically Serious: Most of the interaction between Bee & Naruto leaves him speechless.
- Death Glare : His "ghoul eyes," although only Naruto seems to be scared by it.
- Demoted to Extra: Yamato's role and role has gotten smaller to the point Where he got Put on a Bus during the 4th World War and has not been mentioned since.
- Fate Worse than Death: So Yamato was abducted as a child and experimented upon by a creepy snake-themed Mad Scientist. He survives, goes on to become a fairly well-adjusted adult, only to be ultimately abducted yet again by another creepy snake-themed Mad Scientist (the protege of the first one, no less!). Oh and then it is strongly implied that after having vital information forcibly extracted from him, he will be used for endless experimentation again.
- Green Thumb: His use of the wood techniques, which also require him to be able to control water and earth as well.
- Meaningful Name: Yamato may be named after Yamato Takeru, a legendary prince believed to be the first ninja. Tenzou means "heavenly creation" and refers to things created by nature, which fits with his wood powers.
- Satellite Character: Yamato was brought in as the substitute team leader of Team 7, was kidnapped as baby by Orochimaru and had his DNA manipulated to the point where he's the genetic clone of the First Hokage, and was a member of Anbu with Kakashi. On paper, all of that sounds like a lot of potential for a character. In reality, Yamato ended up being relegated to being Kakashi's assistant in training Naruto and being the Butt Monkey.
- Sempai/Kohai: Kakashi is his senpai, and he once brings up this fact when trying to get him to pay for a meal.
- Stern Teacher: Contrasts his approach with Kakashi's on a few occasions, such as threatening to throw Naruto, Sakura and Sai in a cage together unless they start working better as a team, and saying that if an injured Naruto is unable to keep up with them, they could leave him behind.
- The Stoic: Typically calm and levelheaded, although he can be disturbed by shocking developments.
- Straight Man: Towards Naruto and Bee's shenanigans.
- Superpowerful Genetics: He was the only child to accept and survive the First Hokage's cells in Orochimaru's experiments and the only one who can use his highly coveted Wood Style jutsu. That is until Danzo and Zetsu are introduced anyway.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Just like Anko, Yamato got incapacitated early into the war and isn't heard from in quite some time. It's eventually revealed that one of the Zetsu clones bonded to him as a power source, explaining how it was capable of creating such impressive wood constructs.