The characters from Break Blade
open/close all folders
The protagonist of the story. Both as an Un-Sorcerer
and a poor farmer who had to withdraw from military academy in the past due to lack of funds, Rygart leads a simple life with few opportunities. His life changes, however, when Hodr summons him to the capital and it's discovered that he's the only one capable of piloting the ancient Golem, Delphine.
A friend of Rygart from military academy. Currently married to Hodr and thus the queen of Krisna, though she is in love with, in fact, Rygart. She spends most of her time doing research or work with the royal engineers.
- Biker Babe
- Cannot Spit It Out: Her feelings towards Rygart, although by the present, she is technically married already. At least until chapter 57.
- Distressed Damsel: When Athens captures her.
- Doesn't Like Guns: Hence why hers is just for show and doesn't contain any bullets.
- Dude Magnet: Very few men resist her, but Girge, ironically being one of them, points out how many fall for Sigyn. Those include Rygart, who she actually loves, Hodr, the husband she only cares for in a platonic sense, Nile, who openly has a crush, and Steiner, the sadistic pervert who serves as her prison warden who puts her in the Go-Go Enslavement get up and apparently has to restrain himself from raping her.
- The Engineer: No physical capability whatsoever, but you can thank her for plenty of the work on the Golems.
- Friendly Enemy: She gets along very well with Cleo while the latter is held prisoner.
- Go-Go Enslavement: While a captive in Athens, courtesy of a very perverted prison warden.
- Happily Married: Averted. She only married Hodr in hopes of Rygart would do something about it. While she doesn't hate Hodr, it's clear she only thinks of him as a friend and doesn't even wear her wedding ring.
- Modest Royalty: Until her divorce.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Not So Stoic: Mostly around/regarding Rygart.
- Perpetual Frowner
- Rags to Royalty: She was a commoner before marrying Hodr.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something
- Sexy Spectacles: Nile is quite excited to see her in glasses.
- The Stoic
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Uptown Girl: She's a commoner who married into royalty. And then again the other way around, as she breaks off her marriage with Hodr to pursue Rygart, a farmer.
- When She Smiles: By no means is Sigyn unattractive, but when she smiles in Ch. 57, the soldiers definitely take notice.
- Workaholic: Not as bad as Hodr, but her focus is her work. She even once locked herself up in the school lab for three days without eating or drinking, according to Rygart.
- Wrench Wench
- Zettai Ryouiki: Her civilian outfits tend to sport this.
Hodr Vecto Giro Mego K. Tyra Petar Exar Zeoda
Another one of Rygart's old friends and the current king of Krisna.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Beware the Nice Ones: Almost eternally mild-mannered, so if he expresses rage, you know the situation's bad or he's really pissed off.
- The Chains of Commanding: He really doesn't enjoy being king, especially in the middle of a war where his country is on the losing side.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: He cuts his hair towards the end of the first arc, during the downtime.
- Forgets to Eat: Apparently, he often used to skip meals.
- The Good King
- Happily Married: Averted along with his wife. While Hodr clearly still loves her, he's accepted that she'll never see him as anything more than a friend. He's even stopped wearing his ring.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: He's still in love with Sigyn, but chooses to act like he's lost interest in favour of supporting her and Rygart together.
- Nice Guy
- Overly Long Name: Unsurprising, considering that he's part of the royal family, but his full name is ridiculously long.
- Rebel Prince: During his academy days, he would apparently slack off and receive failing grades because he didn't want to become king.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something
- Stepford Smiler: As he tells Rygart, he has to act like a king in front of everyone else, all the while fighting a war that he initially believes that he's going to lose.
- Unwanted Spouse: To Sigyn. As stated above, she doesn't hate him, but clearly doesn't see him as anything more than a friend.
- Uptown Girl: He married Sigyn, who was a commoner.
- The Wise Prince
General Baldr G. Aran Albatross
Voiced by: Masashi Sugawara (JP), Rob Mungle (EN)
One of the highly respected Generals of Krisna and Girge's father. He acts as a mentor figure towards Rygart, as the latter adjusts to the life of war.
General Thor Bar Corway Rimreck
Another one of the respected Generals of Krisna and Narvi's superior.
A soldier of Krisna. She's put in charge of her own squad, which includes Rygart—much to Narvi's frustration, given his insubordination.
Narvi's older brother and a member of her team.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Played for Laughs. He's got a thing for Sigyn, and thus declares that Rygart can't be forgiven when there are rumours that Sigyn ran off to be with him.
- Let's Get Dangerous: He's one of the more light-hearted members of the team, and his debut notably has him glad that his departure to the front lines is being delayed, but he's as competent as everyone else when he's actually out there.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: As noted in Narvi's section, his likes and dislikes are the opposite of hers.
- Worthy Opponent: To Io in the OVA.
Loggin G. Garf Ensans
The third member of Narvi's squad. He specializes in sniping.
Girge G. Ledo Le Albatross
General Baldr's son. Though initially in prison, he's released due to his skill and put in Narvi's squad.
Rygart's younger brother who, like him, is unable to manipulate quartz.
Rygart, Sigyn, and Hodr's old friend from military academy, and the younger brother of the Secretary of War of the Commonwealth of Athens. Despite his past friendship with the others, he is now their enemy.
A member of Zess's team. She hails from a family of prominent female soldiers.
- Anti-Villain: The most sympathetic character on Athens' side.
- Badass Adorable
- Because You Were Nice to Me: While in 'captivity' in Krishna, Sigyn treated Cleo extremely well, to the point that she was sad to leave. Because of that, Cleo's willing to turn traitor against Athens in order to rescue Sigyn from execution.
- Beware the Nice Ones: As Rygart found out
- Break the Cutie: She doesn't handle her comrades' deaths too well, though she seems to have recovered.
- Child Soldier: As per Athens policy. She also comes from a family of renowned Golem pilots.
- Cry Cute
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Very cute and very clumsy outside of her Golem.
- Doesn't Like Guns: Because they make it harder for her to disable an enemy Golem without killing its pilot.
- Friendly Enemy: With Sigyn, despite her initial reservations. She later sees that the Krisna people aren't nearly as barbaric as she was taught.
- Genius Ditz: She took the least amount of time to adjust to the new Artemis golems. Her other squad mates took weeks, some took a month. Even Ace Pilot Zess took a week to get used to it. Cleo took only one day. Her acting team leader is understandably shocked.
- Great Escape: She and her family attempt to break Sigyn out of prison and back into Krishna territory.
- Heroic Lineage: The Saburafu family is famous for producing outstanding female Golem pilots.
- Let's Get Dangerous: She takes on an enemy squad and disables at least four of them with just hand-to-hand alone. Only General Balder was able to successfully fend her off. Before that, she took out the Delphine that had taken out Zess just moments prior single-handedly with only two kicks.
- Luxury Prison Suite: Her 'jail cell' in Krishna was the Queen Sigyn's suite.
- Multigenerational Household: Both her mother and grandmother live in the same house.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Subverted. She was taught that Krishna was a country of barbarians, who would do unspeakable things to their captives. After her stay with Sigyn in Krishna, she doesn't see them that way anymore. On the other side with her own country's ultra-militaristic views and actions, Zess's growing vendetta against Krishna, and finally news of Sigyn's impending execution, she can't stomach it anymore.
- Opt Out: She eventually decides to retire from the military, deciding that Lee was right after all: she's not suited to be a soldier.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: She hates the thought of killing. She prefers melee combat so as to disable the enemy rather than take a chance that a bullet may kill them.
- Unstoppable Rage
- Younger Than They Look: Despite physically looking as if she's in her late teens, she's only twelve.
Cleo's mother and former head of the Saburafu Family. She retired from active service a while ago.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: She really looks like Cloe's older sister instead of her mother.
- Action Mom: Just because she's not in a Golem doesn't mean she can't contribute.
- Badass Family: The Saburafu's are one of the highly regarded families in Athens for their lineage of outstanding female pilots.
- Thicker Than Water: Being a Saburafu, Elia was duty-bound to turn her daughter in and both of them knew it. Instead, she sides with Cleo.
Erekt: "Miss Elia! How could a person of your caliber possibly be this impulsive?!"
Elia: "I'm a mother, not some omnipotent goddess. And besides, my heart sides with Cleo on this."
- Mama Bear: Erekt defeats Cleo in a one-on-one, so she hops into a disabled Golem, throws out the pilot, and comes back in time to shoot the hand holding the gun on his golem.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Subverted. She joins her daughter and her own mother in turning traitor against Athens to save Sigyn.
- OOC Is Serious Business: When Cleo announced her intention to rescue Sigyn and drop from the Subarafu family, Elia slapped her across her cheek. She then mentioned that it was the first time she felt she had to discipline her daughter like that. Considering what Cleo was planning, one could have forgiven her even if she took more extreme measures.
- Retired Badass: If Erekt's reaction is anything to go by, Elia was a force to be reckoned with and highly respected.
Lee Siuruan Sharon
Part of Zess's squad and a friend of Cleo's who despises Krisna.
General Borcuse Deussenrudolf
An infamous General of Athens, due to his ruthlessness in war. While initially under house arrest due to committing war crimes, he is released to fight against Krisna.
- Colonel Kilgore: Whilst he has no particular grudge against his enemy, and usually treats war with cool professionalism, he gets really fired up when it looks like he might be up against a Worthy Opponent.
- Combat Tentacles: His Golem has a pair of them, each shaped to resemble a scorpion's tail.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy
- Dead Guy on Display: Since he's especially fond of using fear as a weapon against his enemies, this is a favourite tactic.
- Defiant to the End: Even after his Golem is wrecked, he gets out of the cockpit and empties his sidearm into the Delphine until Rygert squashes him.
- Eye Patch Of Power
- Eye Scream: He lost his eye in the past when a child shot through it, due to his own reluctance to kill him.
- Four-Star Badass
- I Shall Taunt You: Purposely provokes Rygart into killing him by bringing up Girge.
- Killed Off for Real
- Multi-Melee Master: His Golem has an astonishing number of hidden weapons under its cloak. He's skilled with all of them.
- Necessary Evil: How he views the atrocities he commits - in his mind, they just happen to be the fastest and most efficient way to permanently end a conflict.
- Pet the Dog: In spite of how cruel he is willing to be in the war, he sincerely loves his daughter.
Colonel Io Kardbar
General Borcuse's second-in-command.
Ninakera "Niko" Drunei
One of General Borcuse's subordinates, though her loyalties lie with Colonel Io.