Characters / Bottom
Richard "Richie" Richard
Let's be English about this.
- All of the Other Reindeer: As demonstrated in many episodes, but particularly in the episode "Parade".
- Ambiguously Bi: This characterization shows up mainly in the live shows, where Richie's desperation to get laid sometimes caused him to hit on Eddie, but there were a couple of hints in the TV series as well, such as his excitement at the prospect of seeing a nude photo of Desmond Lynam and his admission to appreciating a man's pectorals, even after finding it out he wasn't a woman like he initially believed.
- Anything That Moves: Such is Richie's desperation to have sex, that he seems ready to have sex with anyone willing, but is never successful. In the TV series, he really only displays interest in women, but in the live shows, he seems willing to do it even with Eddie on certain occasions.
- Bad Liar: His Falklands story isn't fooling anyone.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Has an endearing childishness about him, but as soon as you manage to offend him in the slightest way possible (And given his stupidity and habit of misunderstanding people, he will find something to take offence at), and he will scream in your face and threaten you with violence.
- Break the Haughty: In pretty much every episode. His character is defined by undeserved arrogance that will be inevitably foiled by his actual mediocrity as a person.
- Butt Monkey: The butt-monkey in a pair of butt monkeys. Bad things happen to everyone in this show, but they're pretty much always happening to him.
- Camp Straight: Incredibly camp, and yet incredibly lecherous towards women.
- Casanova Wannabe: Though deep down he knows he's repulsive to women.
- Catchphrase: "That's a charming, smashing blouse you have on."
- Chick Magnet: Desperately wishes he was one.
- Combat Sadomasochist: Develops into one over the course of the series and live shows.
- Darker and Edgier: In the film version, Guest House Paradiso, he appears as much more calculating (Well, as calculating as Richie can be), amoral, angry, and generally more mean-spirited.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: A chronic masturbator, Richie is often seen unzipping his trousers and reaching down into his pants whenever Eddie leaves the room.
- The Dreaded: By Spudgun and Dave Hedgehog. They tolerate Richie because of their friendship with Eddie, but they make no attempt to hide the fact that they're scared of Richie and think he's a complete psychopath.
- Drunk with Power: Even to the extent that he runs an off-licence like Nazi Germany.
- The Danza: Rik Mayall's first name is Richard.
- The Finicky One: Subverted. Richie tries to put up a front of being this, but in reality he's just as seedy, sex obsessed and repulsive as Eddie. Moreso, even.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Becomes violently angry at the slightest of offences, offences such as refusing a drink, being in front of him in a queue, and passing out after he's just beaten you within an inch of your life.
- Jerk Ass: Threatens old ladies and, along with Eddie, mugs charity collectors of their collection tins.
- Large Ham: Well, duh! It's Rik Mayall.
- Lethal Chef: Which is unfortunate for Eddie, as Richie is the designated "wife" in their friendship.
- Mood-Swinger: Constantly swings between two emotions: childishly optimistic, and violently angry.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Eddie's blue, being more easily excitable and short tempered than his friend.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Sensitive to Eddie's manliness. It's so played upon, that even Spudgun and Hedgehog nickname Richie as Eddie's "wife", behind his back.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: In Guest House Paradiso. Which is really quite something, considering that Richie was already an all round awful human being in the television series.
Edward "Eddie" Elizabeth Hitler
Not a lot of people know that...
- The Cynic: Unlike Richie, he has no intention on breaking free from his abhorrent lifestyle.
- The Danza: Played with in that the "Ed" part is in Adrian's last name, Edmonson.
Spudgun and Dave Hedgehog
The bartender at the Lamb and Flag pub
The boys' landlord and shopkeeper. He's very bad at his job.
Lady Natasha Letitia Sarah Jane Wellesley Obstromsky Ponsonsky Smythe Smythe Smythe Smythe Smythe Oblomov Boblomov Dob, third Viscountess of Moldavia
A rich aristocratic woman who wants to marry Richie because he lied about being of royality himself.
A thug who wants money that Richie and Eddie owes him.
A streaker who pesters the boys in "S'out"