A pretty normal guy, Board James is a kid at heart who collects board games as a hobby and plays with his sorta-friend, Motherfucker Mike.
- Alter Ego Acting: Board James is a character, just like the AVGN, though it's probably a safe bet that he's much closer to the Real Life personality of James Rolfe than the Nerd.
- Author Avatar
- Berserk Button: Bring up his dead friends and see if he's still nice to you then. "It wasn't me, IT WASN'T ME, IT WAS THE FUCKING PHONE!"
- Beware the Nice Ones: As seen in "Shark Attack", where he gets pissed off to such an extent that he yells at his friends in a really escalated "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- The Cameo: His appearance in Kickassia, in which he briefly appears to explain how to play Risk.
- Appeared in the "AVGN Games" episode of The Angry Video Game Nerd, to help the Nerd review an AVGN Monopoly game. He leaves in a huff when the Nerd mentions that he'd been accused of killing his friends.
- Catch Phrase: "Hey, I'm Board James. And when Board James is bored, I play some board games!"
- Subverted. It seems as if that was going to be his catchphrase, but actually he only said it in one episode.
- Cross Over: Appeared in The Angry Video Game Nerd episode on AVGN games to show off a fan-made Monopoly game on the AVGN himself.
- Nice Guy
- Beware of the Nice Ones: You wouldn't believe that such a nice guy could create such a sadistic board game. Then again, he made it when he was a kid, and Kids Are Cruel.
- Also, the ending of the Dream Phone episode may suggest you should REALLY beware this nice guy... maybe.
- Nice Hat: Several of them, actually.
- Platform Hell: Deadly Danger Dungeon, which he designed himself.
- Punny Name
- Sanity Slippage: The end of the Dream Phone episode really hints this.
- As does the end of the Ouija/Domino Rally episode.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: When angry.
Motherfucker Mike (Mike Matei)
- Back from the Dead
- Character Exaggeration: Mike Matei also does videos on the Cinemassacre site about game glitches, and implies that he's good at finding them because he likes trying to break games and cheat his way through for the challenge. The character he plays on Board James is this turned up to 'dirty cheater' status.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Guest Fighter: Is a playable character in The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures. In the Nerd's own review of the game, he expresses some confusion, since he doesn't know who the hell Mike is. Funny enough, Board James had a cameo in that video, but didn't stick around long enough to see AVGN Adventures being played.
- Laser-Guided Karma / Cool and Unusual Punishment: All the time, he's been cheating. The karmic whiplash? Mr. Bucket goes for his balls!
- Jerk Ass: Cheats a lot. I mean, how do you think he got the nickname "Motherfucker Mike"?
- Lazy Bum: Sits on his ass while James is busy setting up Weapons and Warriors.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Motherfucker Mike is basically a caricature of those people you knew who would be poor sports, cheat at games, refuse to help set it up, or get bored mid-way. If you played a lot of board games, you knew someone like this.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Board James rarely seems to notice him cheating, even when it should be obvious.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Mike gives James a really hard time when they play board games, but as seen in the "Mister Bucket" review, they get along just fine otherwise.
Bad Luck Bootsie (Bootsy Spankins, P.I.)
One of many cards in the Lie Detector game.